Author Topic: Guro Crafty in Seattle, Sept 11-12, 2010  (Read 14098 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Guro Crafty in Seattle, Sept 11-12, 2010
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
Details soon.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:56:16 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Guro Crafty in Seattle, Sept 11-12, 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
The seminar will probably have a strong military and LEO orientation.  Those interested in attending should please contact Rob at ronin06@earthlink.net  If you are a civilian he may ask you some questions. :-)

I will be available for privates on Monday and Tuesday.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:56:55 AM by Crafty_Dog »

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
Awesome that's not too far from me.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:57:10 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »
Woof All:

I glitched on the dates :oops:  All entries should now have the correct dates.

yip!
CD

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
It now appears that there is some additional interest in the area and that I may be there longer.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
Host and friend Rob Crowley was in town this weekend to train with me.  This seminar is shaping up to be something quite special.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Things are shaping up nicely.

ronin06

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
We're up and running. The location is in a great venue about 2 minutes from downtown Seattle (near the sports stadiums). We'll distribute the exact location to folks who sign up. Already lots of interest from our mil and LEO brothers.

Here's the website for the seminar:  http://www.sabertoothconsulting.net/#seattle1

ronin06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
We've got some slots available for this still, but they're not expected to last too long. We're drawing in folks from as far north as Vancouver, as far east as Alberta, and as far south as Portland.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
Leaving tomorrow (Thursday).  Happy Birthday Duncan!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Good fun and games today with a good group of good level working on both Kali Tudo and DLO.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
One of the most enjoyable seminars ever for me.  Outstanding group with great vibes.  Tricky Dog and crew made it down.  Focus on Kali Tudo and DLO, with some stick work on occupying strikes using the "Salt & Pepper" variations as the vehicle for the concept.

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
Great seminar. Thanks to Rob Crowley for hosting this. Probably the best and most imformative seminar I've been to. :)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
I want videos of your next cage fight Ryan so I can compare the difference from you previous fight  :-D

ronin06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Many thanks to everyone who attended (and thanks for the kind words, Ryan). Shawn and I were genuinely humbled by the caliber of players who travelled to Seattle for the seminar. It was a real pleasure training with everyone.

We're already working dates and venues for our next playdate with Crafty. Most likely April/May. As soon as we've got something to report, you'll see it here.

Karsk

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the great seminar.  I was happy to get to know a bunch of new people.  Thanks for sharing Marc and thanks for organizing things Rob.  

This is Mike aka Karsk  on the forum (olde guye with shield!).

I have a story to tell about the way home.  True story time!

I spent the evening on Sunday at my son's house and took off this morning for a leisurely drive back home.  I stopped at Mt. Vernon at my favorite halfway restaurant...the Calico Cupboard..with massive and entirely not primal cinnamon buns.  I bought 4 to take home to the family.   Later in the day I stopped near Hope, BC at a gas station to refuel, to get more tea and stretch my legs.  

I decided I was hungry and what could be better than to snag a bite of those sticky buns?   So I opened the back door to my car and opened the box sitting just inside the door. I have a modest folding knife that I carry...nothing extremely sinister. I bought it for white water boating.  I was using it to cut chunks of the sweet roll out and then I would grab the chunk and pop it into my mouth.  I had just finished a chunk and I heard behind me "Hey buddy, I was just wondering if you could spare me a couple of bucks for some food... I turned around and a homeless guy had cut the distance to me. He was about 4-5 feet away already and was still moving directly for me. I was stuck between the car and the door.  

Before I knew it I had turned and in a detached way noticed that my knife had suddenly placed itself in a reverse grip. My hands had come up to near my head and my knife hand had just about initiating a dracula, while my other hand was up protecting myself as well.  (nice feedback about that Marc...)  I pointed at him and said in a calm. authoritative voice... "NO!  Get away from me!"  I had popped right back into the seminar and the stuff we had worked on yesterday.    I am sure he had incidentally watched my knife flip around in my hand as I brought it to bear.

Without even skipping a stride the guy cut right and rapidly moved out of my range saying, "Geez..take it easy pal"...I watched him go and felt like a mean dog on the end of a chain.   Then I turned back and ate another piece of sweet roll.  I looked up and he was making tracks and was 50 yards away.

Second thought...." I just scared the crap out of a harmless homeless guy".

As I got into the car and drove off, I started thinking about the whole thing.   Some random thoughts.  "I am glad he stopped." "Gee, wired a bit tight aren't ya?" I felt  mild chagrin.  But then I started thinking a bit more... "I missed that guy coming up on me."  "I was in a really bad position."  "Why in the hell did he walk right up into my space if he wasn't going to try to put some pressure on whoever he thought I was?"  He was really close.  Too close for normal.  By the time I had turned, he was within stick range.  One more step and he would have been in fist range.  I started to be really happy that I just happened to have my skimpy little pocket knife in my hand at just that moment.

I am absolutely certain he had not counted on that or my reaction or the calm tone of my voice with an edge to it.

I do not know if that really was just a homeless guy that I scared the crap out of or if that guy would have treated me different if I had been an older fellow with no piss and vinegar.   You recall my appearance (shorter, bald, grey haired...).  From behind I probably look the part of a prey.  I am pleased he changed his mind so rapidly   8-)

I think he most likely was not a hardened bad guy. I think he may have been a homeless guy not above a little positioning to intimidate an old guy.  If that was his intention then he got what he deserved.  If not....well it was an education for the both of us.

I just had to relate that story!

Cheers

Karsk

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:32:52 PM by Karsk »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:12 AM »
Karsk:

It was a pleasure meeting you.  I really like your sword and shield game and enjoyed your interations with Tricky Dog.  The way you use the shield is quite formidable.

That is a very interesting story and the honesty with which you engage yourself with your AAR (after action report) is exemplary.   FWIW, my sense of good panhandling etiquette is to not approach too close, especially on someone who is seated and not aware of your approach.    Perhaps this fellow will hav better manners next time :wink:

I am very, very glad that the material we trained in the seminar-- nto only the physical but the MUC (managaing unknown contacts) made its appearance and served you well.

Thank you for sharing.

The Adventure continues!

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »
I want videos of your next cage fight Ryan so I can compare the difference from you previous fight  :-D

Will do :)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Meanwhile, nearby
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »
Shawn tells me this happend just four blocks from the seminar

http://downtownseattle.komonews.com/content/3-stabbed-victor-steinbreuck-park-2-custody