Author Topic: Myth in Martial Arts  (Read 12144 times)

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
Myth in Martial Arts
« on: July 16, 2003, 10:21:36 AM »
I don't have the magazine in front of me, but it may have been IKF which lists the top ten common myths in Martial Arts.

One of them was that the Spanish never prohibited the Filipinos from carrying weapons.

I don't know where they got this from but Spanish records contradict this.

Here is a list of weapon bans repeatedly issued by the Spanish government upon the Filipinos. They were called superior bandos.

December 29, 1763
February 9, 1764
August 3, 1765
January 19, 1771
February 1778
February 1783
October 1812
June 11, 1829

In detail is the Proclamation of 21, May 1844 issued in Cavite during the Tulisanes raids, which banned Filipinos and mestizos from carrying all kinds of weapons. Arms licenses was granted only to persons duly authorized by the provincial Spanish governor. The law applied to the use of guns, spears, swords and long daggers. However, no special permit was necessary for the use of spears measuring 5 varas with bamboo shafts utilized for hunting animals. Same applied to BLUNTED Bolos and pick axes. Penalty for carrying arms without a license was 6 months heavy labor.
Cavite Before the Revolution, page 92 Medina.

Being caught by the Spanish authorities carrying weapons can also lead them to suspect you as being a Tulisanes. In places like Imus, Cavite Spanish authorities under the supervision of friars would decapitate a Tulisanes and publicly display their heads in a cage at Imus plaza. Their bodies were also quartered prior to the beheading.

Some Tulisanes evaded prosecution by leaving Cavite and heading to the southern regions like Negros or to Basilan Island. One Tulisanes named Pedro Cuevas became a Datu (Datu Kalun) of the Yakans in Basilan.

By the 19th century, Cavite's dis- satisfaction with the repressive Spanish authorities had transformed the tulisan activity (once deemed as night time raiders) into a more focused form of peasant movement. In the end it would culminate into the Katipunan movement which spawned the Filipino Revolution of 1896.

--Rafael Kayanan--

Sayoc Kali
-------
--------
---------
------------
--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."
Jose Rizal, from his 1889 essay, ' To The Filipinos '

prentice crawford

Re: Myth in Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
Woof,
 The myth and the truth about shuriken: I found this after one of the guys on the members only site said all of us guys from Kentucky must be ninjas because our deadly weapons permit allows us to carry throwing stars concealed. :lol:

www.slate.com/id/2267259/?gt1=38001

P.C.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:26:49 PM by prentice crawford »