Author Topic: Spammers on our forums  (Read 6931 times)

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Spammers on our forums
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »
Many apologies for the latest round of spam on our forums.  We reset the forum to mandate approval by one of our administrators BEFORE a new user is activated.  This will hopefully cut down on the amount of crap these jerks get through. 

Again, apologies...
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

Karsk

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Spammers on our forums
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
Hiyas,

I thought I would let you know that I received some emails that were addressed from the dog brothers public forum today.  I did not follow the links because I could not identify with any reliability whether the email was legit or not.  I can provide you with the rest of the email if you want. Just let me know.

Karsk

BC Canada

PS   Now that I look at this email I am sure it is not legit.   Here is an exerpt of it and the author:

"You have just been sent a personal message by foxyamy on Dog Brothers Public Forum.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 04:33:36 PM by Karsk »

GeneP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
I received the email as well.

rickn

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:54:11 AM »
The actual spam seemed to come from a guest user.  The professed user is not on the list of forum users.  Perhaps there is a way for guests to send personal messages without registering as a user.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 02:02:40 AM »
Actually this isnt the only forum I have received a similar or same message on another martial arts forum too.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:00:50 AM »
no need 4 u 2 apologize. this crap is everywhere.
get well soon!

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:23:32 AM »
This guy set up a user id with a valid e-mail address, activated it, then signed on to our forum, and started posting.  He's not on the list of members because we axed him. We had the forum set up so that a new user could activate their account by themselves as long as they had a valid e-mail address.  This eliminated spam bots, but not the creeps.  Right now new forum members are not allowed until we get the forum permissions set so they can't send out PMs like this again.

And I know what you mean, I have memberships to other ma forums too (I'm a lurker everywhere :wink:) and have been getting this from other forums. 
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.