Author Topic: Too Old  (Read 7230 times)

xtremekali

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mykewillis/
Too Old
« on: July 27, 2003, 01:04:58 PM »
Woof from Africa,

A quick question. I am hoping to take part in the Nov. Gathering. My question is I am 44 years old and have had 6 concussions, 2 knee ops, 3 broken wrists. AM I TOO OLD?

Myke Willis
For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

C-Heretic Dog

• View Profile
    • http://thepracticedhall.com/
Too Old
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 01:15:57 PM »
Old is how you feel.  I did my first Gathering in Dec 2001 and have fought in three more since then.  I turned 43 last March.
C-Heretic Dog

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
Too Old
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 02:02:33 PM »
My good friend guido will come with me to a gathering in year 2004 and he is 41 years old. He practice muay thai and krabi krabong very well for many years and he didn't feel to old. Why should you feel to old?

It's like C-Heretic Dog say: Old is how you feel.

Best regards from germany, Mike

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Too Old
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 11:05:42 AM »
Woof Myke:

The man who became Underdog started at 46.

The only thing that concerns me in your self-description is the matter of the concussions.  I have only limited layman's knowledge of these things, (we had several concussions at the most recent "DB Gathering" BTW) so I would caution that you work your head protection skills sedulously.

Sometimes the fencing mask protects a lot, and sometimes it protects not much at all.  Look at my eyes spinning after taking a monster backhand from Top Dog in RCSF #1 for example.

If I may be allowed to interject a small commercial at this point?

In the logic of DBMA we seek to work functional primal matters first.  Thus in the first series, the first video was power.  The entire video (well over one hour) taught only 4 power strokes.  

In the second series, the first instructional video in the series (#3) "Combining Stick and Footwork" contains Up-8 motions (roof-'umbrella') to protect the head against Down-8 strikes (the most common and the most primal) as a fundamental building block in the material which is structured so as to get in high repetitions of this motion precisely because of the importance of protecting the head.

This building block is further cultivated and developed in the next video in the series "Attacking Blocks".

In our opinion, in order to survive the learning experience of a DB Gathering it is a real good idea to have your head protection skills in order.  By all means spar with more protective headgear while you test your technical training.

Woof,
Guro Crafty