Dog Brothers Public Forum
Return To Homepage
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 05:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
82593 Posts in 2250 Topics by 1062 Members
Latest Member: seawolfpack5
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  Politics, Religion, Science, Culture and Humanities
| |-+  Science, Culture, & Humanities
| | |-+  Music
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Music  (Read 42032 times)
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »

Catchy  grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHAlwEK7a4&feature=youtu.be
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »

I want this played at my cremation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqc1_RQHOKM
Dog Robertlk808
Power User

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

I want this played at my cremation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqc1_RQHOKM

Very nice, never heard it before.

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed
Dog Robertlk808
Power User

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:01 AM »

I enjoy both versions...

From my Father down to me
Then on to you my son.
Someday you will be the one, to carry the pride.
My Lion, roar!

Remix:

Original:

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »

'Jed Zeppelin': They're Country, But Raised on Rock 'n' Roll .
By DON STEINBERG

Getty Images

Eric Church: 'There's a lot of Iron Maiden in what we do.'
It might seem odd that Eric Church's song titled "Springsteen" reached No. 1 on Billboard's country-music chart this summer, but it really shouldn't. More than ever, country artists are channeling the rock of the 1970s and '80s.

Though Nashville traditionalists don't fully approve of all the rocking, Mr. Church is nominated for more Country Music Association Awards than anyone else this year, with the ceremony set for Thursday. "Springsteen" is nominated for song of the year.

It's not just about Bruce. On country radio these days, it's easy to hear echoes of Bad Company, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and Joan Jett. For music fans raised on the straightforward guitars and ragged drumbeats of classic rock, the latest country music has a familiar ring.

"What you're hearing is a change in the way country songs are mixed," says Brian Philips, president of Country Music Television. "You're hearing dirtier guitars, turned up louder in the mix. The rhythm section is more prominent. The drums are heavier. The vocal is a little more defiant. It's a rock mix. It's very different from what you would have heard in Nashville a decade ago."

Rock and country have fed on each other since before Elvis Presley showed up at Sun Studio, of course. What's different now is that today's country stars grew up in a world when rural America was less isolated than before. Country traditions abide in some quarters, but for these artists, rock—even heavy metal—was the currency.

Randy Houser's summer hit "How Country Feels," with its power-chord and kick-drum opening, sounds eerily like AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." The first bars of Thomas Rhett's "Something to Do With My Hands" evoke Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady." Lady Antebellum's "Friday Night" is very "Jessie's Girl" (Rick Springfield). Love and Theft's summer hit "Angel Eyes" channels Tom Petty. Dierks Bentley's raucous "5-1-5-0" pays homage musically to the Eagles' "Life in the Fast Lane," though its title is a nod to Eddie Van Halen, who used "5150" (a California police code for somebody acting crazy) to name his guitar and a Van Halen album.

"We joke and make up names in the studio, like Jed Zeppelin," says Ronnie Dunn, formerly of country duo Brooks and Dunn and now a solo artist who recently released the single "Let the Cowboy Rock." Brooks and Dunn's work included a remake of the 1973 B.W. Stevenson classic "My Maria." Their hit "You Can't Take the Honky Tonk out of the Girl" sounded like the Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up."

"That's what we were going for," says Mr. Dunn. "I tell people my ultimate fantasy for a band is where the Stones meet Merle Haggard."

Superstar Kenny Chesney has a song, "I Go Back," where he recalls his passionate younger days listening to the Steve Miller Band, John Mellencamp and Billy Joel. In July, Mr. Miller joined Mr. Chesney onstage during an Oakland concert, and they performed the classic hits "Rock'n Me" and "The Joker" together. The Dixie Chicks famously covered Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide." Oklahoma good ol' boy Toby Keith, on his 2011 album "Clancy's Tavern," performs Three Dog Night's laid-back "Shambala."

In the song "Springsteen," which has the solemn vibe of Mr. Springsteen's "I'm on Fire," the singer-songwriter Mr. Church recalls his own teenage glory days listening to the radio.

"When I grew up, yeah, I listened to country music," says Mr. Church, 35, who was raised in small-town North Carolina. "But if you were going to a football game, rock 'n' roll was playing in every car and every truck. You were listening to everything from AC/DC, Metallica, all the way to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mellencamp, Springsteen, Seger, Petty."

Mr. Church figures the first song he learned to play on guitar might have been "Born to Run," or maybe "Jack and Diane."

"I went to an AC/DC concert in an amphitheater, and it just damned near changed my life," he remembers. "Guys with their fists in the air. The raw energy of rock 'n' roll is something no one else has been able to duplicate. In our show, we try. There's a lot of Iron Maiden in what we do."

Country lyrics have evolved, too. They remain rich in confessional narrative and honky-tonk wordplay, though increasingly there are fewer tales of woe, more attitude and gratitude. Often the down-home words contrast with the guitar-amped sounds. Mr. Houser's "How Country Feels" kicks in on the highway-to-hell riff, then cuts down a dirt road to heaven: "You never rolled in the hay/Never thrown it in four-wheel/Climb up on in here, girl/Let me show you how country feels."

"They're almost overcompensating these days for kind of injecting even metal influences into some of the country songs," Mr. Dunn observes. "They'll overwork the lyrics to testify that they are country: 'I've got my dog on my seat in my truck, on the dirt road, in the backwoods.' It's almost like you catch yourself apologizing for rocking out."

If today's country music sounds like 1970s rock, another reason may be because what passed for rock during that musically diverse era was infused with twang. Bad Company were considered hard rockers, but listen to 1975's "Feel Like Makin' Love" again some time. It doesn't sound like the electronic pop that's on rock charts these days, and if newly released it would be most likely to get airplay on a country station. You could say the same about many hits from the Eagles, Grateful Dead, Neil Young, the Band, the Doobie Brothers, America, Bob Seger, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Olivia Newton-John, Linda Ronstadt and, of course, Southern rock bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers. Bad Company weren't the only Brits to cowboy up. A good slice of the Stones' fertile early-1970s period was country, and the Who gave voice to country-style violin (in "Baba O'Reilly") and banjo (in "Squeeze Box"). Country's plaintive steel guitar accents Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." And the quirky '70s hit parade featured countless country-flavored novelties: "Convoy," "Afternoon Delight," "Still the One," "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Angel of the Morning," "The Cover of the Rolling Stone," "Delta Dawn," "Dueling Banjos."

Country's spread into rock territory has coincided with a geographic incursion. Country is thriving where you'll never find a hayseed. In Philadelphia, where venerable rock station WYSP last year became another major-market rock casualty, country station WXTU is having its best run ever.

"I think people are surprised how well country does in the Northeast," says Natalie Conner, the station's general manager.

Country-music sales trail behind rock and R&B, according to Nielsen SoundScan. But country's 5.6% increase in album sales in the first half of 2012 (over 2011) was a bigger rise than any other genre.

Pollstar says the highest-grossing concert tour of the summer was Mr. Chesney and Tim McGraw's tour together, which featured their new duet, titled "Feel Like a Rock Star," of course. The tour reached $96.5 million in gate receipts and sold one million tickets, according to Pollstar. Their two football-stadium shows in Foxboro, Mass., broke the sales record for a New England country-music event. Mr. Chesney broke the New York/New Jersey record in 2011.

Bill Flanagan cultivated the long-shared DNA of rock and country when as an executive at CMT he created the "CMT Crossroads" TV series, pairing country artists with rockers. In one episode, Taylor Swift rocked out with Def Leppard.

"It seems totally incongruous," Mr. Flanagan says, but he traces a direct line: Ms. Swift grew up listening to Shania Twain, whose producer (and ex-husband) Mutt Lange also produced the classics by Def Leppard and AC/DC.

"When the series began, we assumed it would be young rock artists wanting to work with older country artists like Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson. It's actually worked out the other way," Mr. Flanagan says. "Now it's Keith Urban getting to play with his hero John Fogerty. Ninety percent of the country artists we talk to ask if they can do it with Springsteen. We had to create a No-Bruce Zone."

Write to Don Steinberg at don.steinberg@dowjones.com
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hnLsfnchbGs#!
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »

R.I.P. Ray Manzarek of The Doors:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ray-manzarek-photos-20130520,0,147206.photogallery
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-ray-manzarek-20130521,0,3258512.story
ccp
Power User

« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

We have all heard the long and short versions of "Hey Joe" sung and played by Jimi Hendrix.

The origins of the song are quite murky.  Look up "Hey Joe" on Wikipedia and one can read what I mean.

One claim is this is the original writer and singer of the song that was stolen by her boyfriend and rewritten as "Hey Joe".

I think this singer is great:

http://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=00950#
ccp
Power User

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »

The only thing I remember about this when I was somewhere around the age of seven was my sister hogging the TV and sitting Indian style (I hope I didn't offend anyone) in front of our little black and white TV with the antennae (no remote back then) and giddily screaming and screeching over these guys.  I couldn't figure it out.  undecided

It was as though she was possessed.    My oldest sister felt that way about Elvis I think.

http://news.yahoo.com/ed-sullivan-beatles-39-item-headed-nyc-auction-051556647.html
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

My father took me to see (not hear) the Beatles at Philadelphia Convention Center in 1963 or '64.  There was not a dry seat in the house.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:27 AM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDLa-8MAHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBsENI3F9FE

Dog Robertlk808
Power User

« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »

The Green - The Power in Words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JC-di8CjCY

ccp
Power User

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

Circa 2000 we went to see him at the House of Blues in Orlando (when we were leaving the house).  He was one of my favorites in college.  Unfortunately, he looked very sickly.  Someone said they thought he had aids.  He was injecting heroin so it is feasible that he also injected a deadly virus.  OTOH albinos sometimes have associated neurodegenerative disorders as well and for all I know it was this that made him appear the way he did.   We left the show early because frankly he was so weak and terrible that he could only repeat the same few chords while his band was obviously trying to compensate for his inability to play.  We thought he looked like he was going to die soon at that time so I am surprised he lasted till now.   He will be remembered for his "mean" guitar work.   His music struck a chord with me that is for sure:

Blues legend Johnny Winter dies at 70 in Zurich

Associated Press
By JOHN HEILPRIN 43 minutes ago

FILE - In this Friday, June 19, 2009 file photo, Johnny Winter plays during the Canton Blues Festival 2009 in downtown Canton, Ohio. Texas blues icon Johnny Winter, who rose to fame in the late 1960s and '70s with his energetic performances and recordings that included producing his childhood hero Muddy Waters, died in Zurich, Switzerland on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. He was 70. (AP Photo/The Repository, Bob Rossiter) MANDATORY CREDIT

GENEVA (AP) — Texas blues legend Johnny Winter, known for his lightning-fast blues guitar riffs, his striking long white hair and his collaborations with the likes of Jimi Hendrix and childhood hero Muddy Waters, has died. He was 70.

Winter was a leading light among the white blues guitar players, including Eric Clapton and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, who followed in the footsteps of the earlier Chicago blues masters. Winter idolized Waters — and got a chance to produce some of the blues legend's more popular albums. Rolling Stone magazine named Winter one of the top 100 guitarists of all time.

His representative, Carla Parisi, confirmed Thursday that Winter died in a hotel room in Zurich a day earlier. The statement said his wife, family and bandmates were all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists.

There was no immediate word on the cause of death.

Winter had been on an extensive tour this year that recently brought him to Europe. His last performance came Saturday at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria.

The tour, a documentary that premiered at the SXSW Festival exploring his music, youth and substance abuse battles, and a newly released four-CD set of recordings were all part of Winter's celebration of turning 70 this year.

John Dawson Winter III was born on Feb. 23, 1944, in Mississippi, but was raised in Beaumont, Texas. He was the older brother of Edgar Winter, also an albino, who rose to musical fame with the Edgar Winter Group.

Winter was one of the most popular live acts of the early 1970s, when his signature fast blues guitar solos attracted a wide following. But his addiction problems with heroin during that decade and later battles with alcohol and prescription medication, including methadone, also drew attention.

His career received a big boost early on when Rolling Stone singled him out as one of the best blues guitarists on the Texas scene. This helped secure a substantial recording contract from Columbia Records in 1969 that led to an appearance at the Woodstock Festival and gave him a wide following among college students and young blues fans.

Crowds were dazzled by the speed — and volume — of his guitar playing, which had its roots in urban blues but incorporated elements of rock 'in roll.

Winters paid homage to Waters on "Tribute to Muddy," a song from his 1969 release "The Progressive Blues Experiment." He continued to pick up accolades, producing three Grammy Award-winning albums for Waters and recording with John Lee Hooker, which helped revive their careers.

Winter performed often with blues and rock singer Janis Joplin and the two became close during the 1960s.

Among the blues classics that Winter played during that era were "Rollin' and Tumblin'," ''Bad Luck and Trouble" and "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl." He also teamed up with his brother Edgar for their 1976 live album "Together."

He was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame in 1988.

There was no immediate word on funeral services.

Gregory Katz contributed from London.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

I saw him sit in with Electric Hot Tuna at the late show at the Fillmore East around 1970. 

I LOVE his rendition of Dylan's "Highway 61"!!!
ccp
Power User

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

"I LOVE his rendition of Dylan's "Highway 61"!!!"

Yes!  1970?  Was he the main act or the opener then?  I think I got into him some years after.   Early to mid 70's.  I liked him better than his brother.

I had a couple of his albums.  My favorite was AND/LIVE though it was circa '75 when I first heard it in my fraternity during a party.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:06:39 AM by ccp » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »

The show wherein I saw him was an Electric Hot Tuna show and he was invited onstage to join the set.

Frankly to my ear he often did not play with much heart, instead more with volume and speed and with a competitive attitude with Jorma.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: