Dog Brothers Public Forum

HOME | PUBLIC FORUM | MEMBERS FORUM | INSTRUCTORS FORUM | TRIBE FORUM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2016, 05:37:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
94908 Posts in 2311 Topics by 1081 Members
Latest Member: Martel
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  Politics, Religion, Science, Culture and Humanities
| |-+  Science, Culture, & Humanities
| | |-+  Pathological Science
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Print
Author Topic: Pathological Science  (Read 217965 times)
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #900 on: April 22, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Earth is on brink of a sixth mass extinction, scientists say, and it’s humans’ fault
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/22/the-earth-is-on-the-brink-of-a-sixth-mass-extinction-scientists-say-and-its-humans-fault/
-----------------------------------------------------
Al Gore: Polar Ice Gone in 5 Years, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsioIw4bvzI

John Kerry claims the Arctic will be ice-free by summer 2013

PoliticFact rates this "Barely True" in 2009.  Huh?
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/02/john-kerry/kerry-claims-arctic-will-be-ice-free-2013/

In 2011, PolitiFact changed the name of Barely True to Mostly False.  Huh??

Doug rates all of this as pathologically, reality denyingly false, then and now.
DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #901 on: May 07, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »

Who knew these predictions would all be false.  Probably everyone who knew the models were wrong, like the designers of the models and the manipulators of the data.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/05/gore-ten-years-later.php

GORE, TEN YEARS LATER   - Steven Hayward, Powerline
Hey, kids—did you realize it’s the tenth anniversary of Al Gore’s Academy Award and Nobel Prize winning movie, An Inconvenient Truth? Michael Bastasch of the Daily Caller has gone back and checked on some of Gore’s near-term predictions and found—spoiler alert!—that lots of them look pretty silly now:

One of the first glaring claims Gore makes is about Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa. He claims Africa’s tallest peak will be snow-free “within the decade.” Gore shows slides of Kilimanjaro’s peak in the 1970s versus today to conclude the snow is disappearing.

Well, it’s been a decade and, yes, there’s still snow on Kilimanjaro year-round. It doesn’t take a scientist to figure this out. One can just look at recent photos posted on the travel website TripAdvisor.com.

In 2014, ecologists actually monitoring Kilimanjaro’s snowpack found it was not even close to being gone. It may have shrunk a little, but ecologists were confident it would be around for the foreseeable future.

“There are ongoing several studies, but preliminary findings show that the ice is nowhere near melting,” Imani Kikoti, an ecologist at Mount Kilimanjaro National Park, told eturbonews.com.

Actually that one was easy to knock back at the time, since there’s good data showing the slow retreat of Kilimanjaro’s snow going back well into the 19th century, before Ford and GM built their first SUVs.

Bastasch goes through several more Gore howlers, but I’ll just add one of my own from recent studies. Gore made much of Greenland’s ice sheet melting so rapidly you’d think the continent was a grilled cheese sandwich in a pizza oven. Science magazine reports this week that the interior of Greenland’s enormous ice mass appears to be . . . completely stable. Here’s the University of Illinois’s press release about it yesterday:

Study finds ice isn’t being lost from Greenland’s interior

Scientists studying data from the top of the Greenland ice sheet have discovered that during winter in the center of the world’s largest island, temperature inversions and other low-level atmospheric phenomena effectively isolate the ice surface from the atmosphere — recycling water vapor and halting the loss or gain of ice. A team of climate scientists made the surprising discovery from three years of data collected at Summit Camp, an arid, glaciated landscape 10,500 feet above sea level in the middle of the Greenland ice sheet.

“This is a place, unlike the rest of the ice sheet, where ice is accumulating,” says Max Berkelhammer, assistant professor of earth and environmental sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Berkelhammer is first author on the study, reported in Science Advances, an open-access online publication of the journal Science.

For fans of classic films, here’s my 46-minute rebuttal of Gore’s movie, though it is way out of date now, since it was done before climategate, before the duration of the temperature pause became evident, and before the numerous recent studies concluding that most of the UN IPCC computer models overestimate climate sensitivity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGyLIrH1-4

And here’s the seven-minute update I did one year later—complete with a Bruce Jenner reference!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITPIK6cZtE

ccp
Power User

« Reply #902 on: May 08, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »

Doug,

I really don't know who to believe.

Many other places in the news claim just the opposite.

I recently read something about Kilimanjaro's ice cap is clearly disappearing though maybe not as fast as Gore had us believe

Same is true for Greenland.

I have different sources making different claims.  So how the heck can I possibly have any clue?

DougMacG
Power User

« Reply #903 on: May 08, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »

Doug,
I really don't know who to believe.
Many other places in the news claim just the opposite.
I recently read something about Kilimanjaro's ice cap is clearly disappearing though maybe not as fast as Gore had us believe
Same is true for Greenland.
I have different sources making different claims.  So how the heck can I possibly have any clue?

There is warming and there is human caused warming.  The real warming started at the peak of the last ice age.  It started hundreds of years before the industrial age' and the hockey stick, sharp uptick of late theory has been proven false.  The current peak has held 18 years without warming even though CO2 levels are still increasing.  We had a cooling in the 1970s too.  Which means other factors are coming into play.  Factors not factored into the models.

Agreed, CO2 is a greenhouse gas and fossil fuel combustion releases it.  Therefore some warming effect comes from man.  That CO2 came from decomposed plants, fossil fuels, which in turn took it from the atmosphere where it is being returned, not an unnatural process.  These 'high levels' of CO2 we are experiencing measure at 0.4 parts per thousand, not exactly smothering us.  And what is there is enhancing plant life, greening the planet and producing more oxygen for the animal life.  Again, not an unnatural or unprecedented cycle.

The models and forecasters have been off by a factor of about 7 fold.  They don't account for negative feedback effects, and were skewed by the lying and manipulation of the data.  Alarmist politicians, Al Gore, etc. get it wrong by a factor of maybe 100-fold.  

None of the proposed solutions solve anything, they just cause poverty.  

Nuclear is safe and CO2-free, it could power the whole grid and is being ignored, which means no one is serious about this anyway.

Do you know any climate scientists who refuse travel or work summers without air conditioning?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:20:59 PM by DougMacG » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #904 on: May 09, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/09/facts-clear-astrophysicist-soon-of-wrongdoing-while-indicting-journalists-covering-climate-debate/
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: