Dog Brothers Public Forum

HOME | PUBLIC FORUM | MEMBERS FORUM | INSTRUCTORS FORUM | TRIBE FORUM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2016, 02:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
94267 Posts in 2307 Topics by 1081 Members
Latest Member: Martel
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  Politics, Religion, Science, Culture and Humanities
| |-+  Politics & Religion
| | |-+  The War on Drugs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: The War on Drugs  (Read 127083 times)
ccp
Power User

« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »

Is now the war on hating of drug pushers and drug users:

"Yet the entire criminal justice system is now being branded as racist and oppressive. Disgraceful."

Yes.  And now all drug users are to be treated with love compassion and billions in dollars for a whole new hoard of Wall Street invested business just foaming at the mouth to get in on the pending avalanche of tax dollars for the whole new emphasis on "treatment".  As if there at this time NO treatments already available:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/04/11/oreilly-blacks-committing-crime-proportion-groups-racial-component-blacks-prison/
ccp
Power User

« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »

Actually I was not aware of this.  I don't think I would label this "fueling" the epidemic but it certainly is another burden on us.  Drug users are extraordinarily manipulative and "hip" on knowing all the "correct" things to say in order to try to get us to write scripts for them.  There is no shortage of "hard luck" stories they tell us.  Most experienced physicians learn these tricks and red flags.
But it is still not easy sorting out legitimate needs from the illicit ones.  It is frankly impossible to be able to 100% perfect.  I am also sure that some doctors have become so frightened to write prescriptions for pain meds that there policy is to write zero.  I certainly do not agree with this.  On the other hand I have seen a very small minority (thank God) write scripts for cash.  These doctors are no different than heroin or cocaine dealers.  It seems difficult to go after them even when it is plainly obvious what they are doing. 

http://time.com/4292290/how-obamacare-is-fueling-americas-opioid-epidemic/
ccp
Power User

« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

As an aside I am now doing work wherein I get feedback from all the patients.

I seem to do well except occasional patients who want antibiotics for common colds.  I go out of my way to explain why they would not work, more then 95% get better without antibiotics, risk of side effects, concerns for resistance to antibiotics becoming more prevalent for "over Use".  No matter for some patients.  They rate me poorly because I wouldn't prescribe the antibiotic; even if I negotiate with them to call back at no charge in the usual days recommended and if at that time they sound like it might help I will write a rx.

Not long ago I had a patient asking for a long term supply of decongestants.  On questioning I found out she had a coronary stent and I then explained decongestants are contraindicated with someone with heart disease and indeed can be dangerous.   They all have warnings about this on their labels.  Especially is she wants to take it for a month or more for sinus allergies.  (these meds are no longer sold in large quantities without a prescription because they are used to make methamphetamine though I did not suspect that here - OTOH never say never)
Naturally though I thought I was doing her a service by warning orf the danger and I offered other options instead.  She gave me a very poor review.

I suppose it is like this in every "customer" service industry though.   Can't please everyone.
ccp
Power User

« Reply #403 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »

Contrast this to the US where he would be suing the taxpayers for "hate crime" and discrimination against his civil rights, get the marine fired and and shamed in the NY Times, the President would feign his outrage and Black Lives Matters and Rev Al would all be descending on the location where this picture was made demanding riots, firings, civil settlements, reforms and then MSNBC would cry police brutality 24/7, and that despicable racism is rampant in the US, and of course, lets not forget  Hillary would be pretending this was all about  the 'obvious racism' in front of Latino audiences while claiming she fought for Latino rights 'all her life' and probably throw in a few comments about needing to bring in more Latino immigrants if only we can get those evil hate mongering, war mongering Republicans out of the way for good measure:

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/04/18/exclusive-mexican-cartel-hitmen-forced-wear-womens-lingere-after-capture/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:15:36 PM by ccp » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »

https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-portugal-what-happened-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin?utm_source=vicenewsfbads
ccp
Power User

« Reply #405 on: April 26, 2016, 06:16:58 AM »

The article is interesting indeed!  I noticed this following statement.  So what I think this means is drug *use* but not sales is legal.  So it is only partial decriminalization.
Heroin use is down but is that due to the availability of other drugs?  NO IV drugs?  and hence the drop in HIV?  Are the drugs being sold legally by the State?  I didn't see that.  Well William F Buckley called for decriminalization in part to take the criminal element out. 

I guess i could do a search and read more about this. 

"Today, Portuguese authorities don't arrest anyone found holding what's considered less than a 10-day supply of an illicit drug a gram of heroin, ecstasy, or amphetamine, two grams of cocaine, or 25 grams of cannabis. "

G M
Power User

« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »

Trafficking is still a crime in Portugal.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: