Author Topic: Looking for Teachers, Schools, and Training Partners  (Read 91692 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Teachers, Schools, and Training Partners
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
There's this odd fellow down in Hermosa Beach , , ,  :lol:

The Tao

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
There's this odd fellow down in Hermosa Beach , , ,  :lol:

Actually Guro, I would love to train with you. Do you have openings? I could learn a lot. I live in Downtown L.A. Hermosa Beach isn't that far. May I?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
Its what I do  :-D

Email me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com

The Tao

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
Its what I do  :-D

Email me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com

Sent Guro...thank you.

darvis

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »
Would like to start a Dog Bros grass roots movement (or desert roots) in Arizona.  Looking for like minded people to train with. All I have to offer is my own blood, sweat and tears.
dubd.davis@gmail.com

darvis

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
Thanks Crafty Dog for taking the time to speak with me.  I appreciate the tips and pointers on recruiting training partners.  I would love for the Arizona cactus roots movement to grow into a DBMA training group.  As soon as I am able I will head out to LA to train with you.  I dont care what you say man, you are a ROCKSTAR!

James Struthers

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
Checking to see who is currently active in the Tacoma, Olympia, Seattle area in Washington.  Mixed background.  Looking to revive some skills and hang with some guys that appreciate the fine art of stick-wielding.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
Darvis:  My pleasure speaking with you.

James: Get in touch with Rob Crowley, the host of my upcoming Seattle seminar-- see the relevant thread on this forum for contact info.

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »
Woof Gentlemen,

It's been a while since I've posted, and i've Missed this Little Piece of Kali heaven :), I am still Looking to get something going in the way of a training group here in The Nebraska/SD area, right now There isn't much happening other than small time MMA circuits fights. I would Love to add the DBMA curriculum to my training so if there is anyone in the area that is interested please get a hold of me at richartichoker@gmail.com or at my website blackwolfma.com.

P.S. i just re-read your "whats in rapid City" comment Guru Crafty had to chuckle again :), I am Going to have to find a way to get you out here by hook or crook and show you Myself what's out here i think you'll be pleasantly surprised, :)
I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass and I'm all out of bubblegum

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
Woof, I just moved to Tempe Az. a short time ago.
I'm Looking for training partners no experience necassary.  If anyone wants to get together and swing some sticks, PM me here or shoot me a email: spinebuster77@yahoo.com
                 HD/Tom
Howling Dog

darvis

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
Howling Dog,
Im in Chandler.  Hit me up at dubd.davis@gmail.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want to swing sticks with someone that has "spinebuster" in their email address....   :-D

"What the hell happened to you?"  :-o

"Spinebuster".   :cry:

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
Woof, Looking forward to meeting with Darin Tomorrow. Anyone else in the Phoenix/Tempe area interested, Hit me up!
               HD

"What the hell happened to you?"  shocked

If your asking about the name, Its a old joke. If your asking about Where have I been? I usually hang out on the members site, and don't post too much on the public forum.
Howling Dog

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
Woof, Looking forward to meeting with Darin Tomorrow. Anyone else in the Phoenix/Tempe area interested, Hit me up!
               HD

"What the hell happened to you?"  shocked

If your asking about the name, Its a old joke. If your asking about Where have I been? I usually hang out on the members site, and don't post too much on the public forum.

Just going for a laugh.  :-D

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
Woof, Nice to meet with Darin and his son today. Hopefully this is the start of many more good training days ahead, as well as the beginning of a Phoenix area Dog Brothers group.
Any others out there on the fence in the Phoenix area....C'mon and get in.....Good times to be had! WOOF!

@GM all good. Its a rather unusual email address I know. Its all in good fun, and intended to be taken lightly.  :-D
     HD
Howling Dog

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »
HD i just sent you a PM. :-)

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Woof Bro, return PM sent. 
         HD/ Tom
Howling Dog

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »
Woof, TTT Just wanted to repost that I'm in Tempe Az, Just added 1 new guy to the group so we have a small group started. Anyone wants to join us,Give me a Bark.
Btw, It's free.  :wink:
               Howling Dog
Email: spinebuster77@yahoo.com
Howling Dog

C-Mighty Dog

• Power User
  • I might be small.....but, I'm not little
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
looking for training partners in San Bernardino, CA or nearby (Other then Fu Dog and Beowolf...have to fight them one day)
C-Mighty Dog      small dog...Big Balls

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
Surf Dog is in Hemet. 

War Dog is in Palm Springs area.

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
Just wanted to add again that I am still looking for folks in the San Diego area to get together regularly.

dianhsuhe@yahoo.com

TAC!
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

SoonerBJJ

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Anyone in central Oklahoma?

cordtheseeker

Colorado DBMA Training Group
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
For those of you in Colorado and are interested in DBMA, give me a holler @ rmkg@consultant.com.

You can also take a look at: http://rockymountainkaligroup.blogspot.com/

Woof! 

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
C-Mightydog,
 i'm in highland, i havent trained in a while. would love to get together somethime and train. i've been to a few gatherings and a couple of DBMA seminars, just been really busy with work. weekends work great, i can host at the Redlands Training Center on sundays if you'd like. We mainly train judo, no-gi and kickboxing. rcriojas@gmail.com

dreatx

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »
I am in Austin, Texas.  Anyone on the board live and train here.  I woukd certainly like to get involved.
 Thanks, Andre

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Top Dog is in the Houston area if ever you get out that way.

My knowledge of TX geography is quite limited, but we have Dog Rick in New Braunfels (see the thread on this page about the upcoming seminar there).

Gus Reina was at Fort Hood but is downrange right now.

If I am forgetting anyone else, my apologies and please feel free chime in.

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 12:55:55 AM »
Hello all-

I'm based in Dublin, Ireland, and have had no previous experience with DBMA or indeed much in the way of FMA. My background is mainly in BJJ (blue belt), and some muay thai and boxing for stand-up. Lately I have decided to make a concerted effort to learn more about stickfighting. I am ASP certified and have done the odd single day of training at FMA seminars / classes when the opportunity arose, but that is essentially it.

I have a particular training partner that I meet once a week with who I spar with (outside of other training). He has given the thumbs up to the idea of exploring some stickfighting and learning as we go, since it is something he has wanted to try also.

I don't think either of us are overly afraid of contact, but what is the appropriate / recommended progression in terms of training gear for guys like us so that we do not ruin this for ourselves?

If we begin with action flex or another padded stick what hand, head or eye protection is suggested, if any? Down the line I would ideally like to see us using sticks, gloves and appropriate headgear but I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch, either.

I have the 'original series' volume 1 and 2 and hope to make it over to a DBMA seminar somewhere in the new year. Narrowly missed Guro Lonely in Glasgow last year.

Bambi

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
Hello all-

I'm based in Dublin, Ireland, and have had no previous experience with DBMA or indeed much in the way of FMA. My background is mainly in BJJ (blue belt), and some muay thai and boxing for stand-up. Lately I have decided to make a concerted effort to learn more about stickfighting. I am ASP certified and have done the odd single day of training at FMA seminars / classes when the opportunity arose, but that is essentially it.

I have a particular training partner that I meet once a week with who I spar with (outside of other training). He has given the thumbs up to the idea of exploring some stickfighting and learning as we go, since it is something he has wanted to try also.

I don't think either of us are overly afraid of contact, but what is the appropriate / recommended progression in terms of training gear for guys like us so that we do not ruin this for ourselves?

If we begin with action flex or another padded stick what hand, head or eye protection is suggested, if any? Down the line I would ideally like to see us using sticks, gloves and appropriate headgear but I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch, either.

I have the 'original series' volume 1 and 2 and hope to make it over to a DBMA seminar somewhere in the new year. Narrowly missed Guro Lonely in Glasgow last year.

Dunno where you're doing BJJ mate, but if you know a blue belt called Stephen R have a word with him.

Lazora Talaya and Franciso Gomez are hosting lonely dog in Spain in early March I think. Top blokes and Spain is warmer than Glasgae but lacks in the deep fried food dept  :lol:

Fencing helmets and KIL gloves will serve you well no matter what you spar with, maybe elbow pads too.  Shipping for padded sticks to Ireland is a pain, I like the ATF and Lameco sticks personally. Not a fan of the actionflex ones I've used..too flexible, clues in the name I guess.

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply...

I don't think I know who that Stephen R. is ... I haven't come across anyone crosstraining in stickwork / FMA but then again as I said there's a lot of people out there doing BJJ at the moment and it's certainly possible.

I thought fencing helmets alright but wasn't sure if they were overkill initially - sounds like they'd be a good investment either way.

I actually made it down to Molesworth st. to train with you guys one night but to be honest the timing doesn't suit and I'll hold my hands up and admit I didn't have the patience for the drills (I know, I know...).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:39:47 PM by Rory »

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 08:36:46 AM »
Rory,

Maybe worthwhile getting in touch with Gerry 'C-Celtic Dog' Casey.  He's based in Glasgow but used to travel 'back to the old country' quite a bit  :wink:

You can get him through:

www.dogbrothersscotland.com

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2011, 04:49:16 AM »
Thanks for that-

I will be keeping an eye on their sites for seminars/workshops coming up hopefully.

Bambi

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2011, 03:49:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply...

I don't think I know who that Stephen R. is ... I haven't come across anyone crosstraining in stickwork / FMA but then again as I said there's a lot of people out there doing BJJ at the moment and it's certainly possible.

I thought fencing helmets alright but wasn't sure if they were overkill initially - sounds like they'd be a good investment either way.

I actually made it down to Molesworth st. to train with you guys one night but to be honest the timing doesn't suit and I'll hold my hands up and admit I didn't have the patience for the drills (I know, I know...).

Stephen R trains/trained out in IP, believe its closed now

Good drills can be badly taught   :lol:.  Send me a PM in the new year, might be able to sort you a test drive of some of the options out there gear wise

Hello Kitty

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »
I just got a place in Tijuana and will be there for the forseeable future. Anyone close/interested, message me.

Thank you.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
Fresno, Kaju Dog
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
Fresno, Ca.  kajudog@ymail.com

Only a short drive to/from Yosemite National Park and The GIANT Sequoia Red woods.  If in the area and just wanna talk story, that's ok too :-)

Training Martial Arts since 1986.   "You show me yours, I'll show you mine ;-) "  

Combat Veteran OIF III "Doc" 3D BN / 2D MARDIV ~ "Through the gates of hell for a wounded MARINE"

Kaju Dog
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:20:17 AM by Crafty_Dog »
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Bryanz

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
Woof all!
                   Is anyone located a reasonable drive from Baltimore md? looking for a training partner

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Baltimore area
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
Kevin Keane is a newly named DBMA Training Group Leader in your area.

Kevin Keane
email: kkeane24@verizon.net
(410) 591-7725
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:50:32 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Bryanz

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »
woof!

thank you Crafty

KenL

• View Profile
Metro Detroit area
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »
Hello All,

I'm in the Metro-Detroit area and looking for people to train with. We have an informal training group going right now, but it's all beginners that I'm teaching some basics to.

I looked at the instructor list and couldn't find anyone in Michigan so if you can point me to someone that teaches in my area, that would be great.

If not, my plan is to start buying videos and introducing dog brothers techniques into our group (with proper credit given to DBMA, of course).

I'm also going to be sending in a membership application here in a few days and plan on getting to a gathering next year (sooner if there's one on my side of the country).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:42:29 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
Woof Ken:

I took the liberty of specifying "Metro Detroit"in you subject header to make it easier for search commands to find you as time goes by.

CD.

KenL

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »
Thank you Crafty!

theskirt

• View Profile
Boca Raton, FL
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
Don't laugh but I am looking for a group in ..... Boca Raton, FL.  I will be moving there by year's end.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:38:11 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Pitbulldog

• View Profile
Aloha I just moved to Anchorage, Alaska from Honolulu.  I am looking for a training partner.  If you are intrested send me a message. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
ttt

Karunamama

• View Profile
South Chicago area
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
A couple of my students will be going home to southside Chicago for break and would like to get some training in while they're there.  Anyone within reasonable distance?  They will probably be taking the train.  I mentioned Pete in Downers Grove, but I think that's a little far for them.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
Dog Carlos Flores has a very active DBMA Training Group.  I will let him know about this thread.

Maul Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
Yes. I'm in Berwyn. We can make something happen. Please send me there contact info. I'll reach out to them. Here is my personal email: losronin@sbcglobal.net

Dog Carlos Flores

Karunamama

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
Thanks, Dog Carlos and Guro Crafty!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Our pleasure.  I am sure you will enjoy your training with Dog Carlos.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
San Diego area?
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
So life has decided that I'll be splitting my time between Boston and San Diego.  I'll probably pop up to LA here and there to train but was wondering if there were any Dog Brothers around San Diego?  Also, any recommendations for FMA, Krabi-Krabong or MMA in general is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dog Jeff

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »
In northern San Diego county there is James Stacey, who was part of my backyard group in the 90s (In "Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack" he's the guy who got tackled into the tree by Big Erv after repeatedly hitting Big Erv on his way in) and Ed Calderon (Piper knife and other things).    Nar Babao (son of Narrie Babao) is in the area too.

For contact info please email me at craftydog@dogbrothers.com

Also, may I offer for your consideration joining the DBMA Association?  for details go to www.dogbrothers.com and click your way along the yellow brick road , , ,