Author Topic: What does Kali Tudo 2 have in store for us??  (Read 23924 times)

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
What does Kali Tudo 2 have in store for us??
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
What parts of Dumog, Harimau, and Wali Songo do you feel integrate well with the BJJ-wrestling game of todays MMA game?
I am very interested considering your observation of Herman Suwanda's groundfighting.

Casually, I think Eddie Bravo's innovations along with Chris Haueter and Roy Harris, to be kind of an "American" BJJ game.
The SEAsian spice could be an interesting addition. Hmmm. Rubber Guard with Kerambit Fighting.

--Tom Furman
www.physicalstrategies.com/articles
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:36:20 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: What does Kali Tudo Groundwork have in store for us??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
Woof Tom:

For the moment I think I will keep my cards close to my vest  :wink:  At the moment the intention is to shoot "Kali Tudo 2" this summer.

I've heard of Eddie Bravo and his rubber guard, but do not know much about it.  Roy Harris has an excellent reputation, but again I do not know much about his particular approach.  Machado BB and Inosanto Blend man Chris Hauter introduced me to the Machados back in 1990.  Its been several years since I've seen what Chris is up to, but I always found him to be very innovative in his thinking and approach.

TAC,
CD

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:08:55 PM »
I'm very happy to be a member of Sensei Harris' Grappling Association as well as a member of the Dog Brothers Tribe.  When I saw this thread, I was hoping to get Mr. Harris to answer.  Mr. Harris is a very good teacher with a great eye for the little details.  I hope this is okay with Guru Crafty but here is a link to Mr. Harris' response on the boards on the Harris International Website.

http://www.royharris.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11727#post11727
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Jeff Gentry

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
I'm very happy to be a member of Sensei Harris' Grappling Association as well as a member of the Dog Brothers Tribe.  When I saw this thread, I was hoping to get Mr. Harris to answer.  Mr. Harris is a very good teacher with a great eye for the little details.  I hope this is okay with Guru Crafty but here is a link to Mr. Harris' response on the boards on the Harris International Website.

http://www.royharris.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11727#post11727

I have to say i agree with what Mr. Harris say's i came to martial arts by way of historic european martial arts, I now am taking BJJ for the ground work and using throw and takedowns from HEMA to get there I love talking to Guru Crafty and other's on this board because of the wealth of knowledge and realism of the contact stick fighting which is something my group(ARMA) strongly advocate's with wooden waster's and padded sparring weapon's designed to ba as close to real sword's as possible.

With all the information available through print, TV, and the internet it is a blurry line because there are certain thing's that must be done if one wish's to fight conditioning, strength training, movement and having many diffrent way's of training these they will all eventualy blend together in whatever art your base is the basic theory of that art will usualy be visible in my opinion.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Jeff
Usque Ad Finem

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »
the last time i had the opportunity to train with guro was in 2004, and during his classes at the academy, he would share some ideas when stickgrappling or when practicing empty hand on the ground. alot of the things blew me way in their simplicity and effectiveness. was it KT ground? i don't know but it was really great material, and given guro's constant efforts to test and prove effective material i'm really interested to see what he's come up with the past few years...
i'm especially looking forward to the KT clinch material...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:04:21 AM »
Woof All:

It looks like I will be unveiling the long closely held "Running Dog Game" which is a structure for use against the guard.

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
I've trained with Eddie for a while and been able to sneak some rubber guard material in with the stickgrappling.  One technique that stands out is a go go plata hybrid where the stick is used to pull the guy's neck into my shin. 

btw, Crafty:  Met a guy named Bill Hosken at work last night.  He said he goes back with you at Rigan's and told me to say hi.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »
Dan,
  Could you please expound upon the go go palata variation?  I am familiar with Bravo's block of material, understand the position well, but what do you mean by using the stick to "pull" the guy's neck into the shin?  Do you mean putting the stick across the back of their neck?  Very interested and looking forward to your response.

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

unstpabl1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
Marc,

Its interesting this subject seems to be popping up. Good forsight by you. There is a thread running now on rosstraining.com in the mma section on Kali. It kinda turned into a mma vs kali type thread. limb destruction effectiveness, etc. I brought your stuff up as a plug. Maybe some will checkout what your doing. Personaly, I'm looking forward to it

Mike from WT

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:32:49 PM »
Ryan,

It really depends on how the fight is going, but if you know Eddie's stuff, you know how to get to London.  The trick here is holding on to your stick while you make the transition to the go go.  Punyo's to the side of the face and top of the head are helpful here.  Once you get the go go in place you can hold the head down with one hand and punyo with the stick in the other.  When it's time to finish, pulling his neck into your shin using both hands on the stick can really be nasty.     

Hope that helps.  Explaining in print is kind of hazy...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
Woof All:

Just a quick yip to report the bummer news that my intended training partner on this project, Cyborg Dog, suffered a bad elbow injury  :cry: in an amateur MMA fight that will necessitate surgery in the next week or so.  Naturally, this is setting this project back  :cry:  We are working on alternatives.

TAC,
Guro Crafty

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
That is bad news! I hope Cyborg heals soon.

Dan - Your Doggie-Plata sounds scary!

Tim
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:12:18 PM by Sea-Scurvy Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: What does Kali Tudo 2 have in store for us??
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
Woof All:

I have gotten some emails asking about the status of this project.  My intended assistant, Cyborg Dog, is recovering from elbow surgery, Poi Dog is AWOL, and I have begun working with Dog Dan to be my assistant.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
"The Tree That Walks" is down the street. His input, considering his background, would be cool.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »
Poz's granddaughter and mine play together regularly and I often take advantage of the opportunity to run things by him.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40:30 AM »
Yesterday Night Owl gave me a first VERY rough edit of Kali Tudo 2.  The footage was shot in Hawaii, working the the Hawaii Clan of the Dog Brothers (led by Dogzilla). 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 06:53:26 AM »
I should have a rough edit of KT-2 in my hands by Thursday.  Night Owl thinks we can finish it up in short order, and ably abetted by pressure from my wife, there is RUMOR that we might have it out in time for Christmas.  I will know better after I see the edit on Thursday.

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
Guro,

Before the Holidays would be great! I can then add another DBMA Dvd to my list. My family might have it easy this year just one-stop-shopping at DB.com :-D

-Tony
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
Could you run down the material that you hoped to convey?
I really liked Greg Thompson's H2H book. Very foundational stuff. Basic, but high percentage.

--Tom Furman

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Buzz Builder
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

"I have been training with Kru Mark Dellogrotte for the past 9 years. I have helped train/sparred with some of the best names in the UFC. I have also had professional fight experience myself. I originally became aware of the Kali-Tudo block of material in 2002 and I have used both the techniques and theorys with success in my training/ sparring/ fighting. I believe that Guro Crafty has an amazing amount of material that will truly open eyes of the MMA community."

Greg "Cyborg Dog" Brown

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »
GREAT things come to those who wait...so wait I will do. :wink:

I just hope it's not too long because then GREAT things become GREAT TORTURE :|.

-Tony
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:04:57 AM »
And like that corny ad of years ago about "No wine before its time", I am unable to hurry my editor.  Genius has its privileges  :lol:

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:54:08 AM »
I apologize Guro. I didn't mean to be bothersome, just coy. :|

I know that I have a few guys from my training group and a few at my school that are already excited about KT2. This KT material, IMHO, is extremely versital and can be adapted to the street as well as the ring. I play with incorporating the KT philosophies/techniques into my stand up and have had the opportunity to "apply" some of it on the job. :roll:

-Tony

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »
No worries; I did not intend to communicate that I felt bothered.

I too am chomping at the bit to get this out.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:57 AM »
Did the fine edit yesterday with Night Owl of

"Kali Tudo 2:  The Running Dog game vs. the Guard"

I should receive several copies later today which I will then pass around my kitchen cabinet crew for commentary.