Author Topic: The Hunted  (Read 11313 times)

mookie

• View Profile
The Hunted
« on: August 17, 2003, 06:41:44 PM »
this may sound like a redundant question since i know sayoc kali did all the choreography...

but is the fighting in the movie representative of what you would learn studying sayoc?  i know it sound like a weird question, but what you see in movies doesnt alway represent the art for sake of presenttion

does my question make any sense?

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
HUNTED
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:16:44 AM »
Yes and No.

Modified for film.

FILM Factors:
Entertainment
Safety concerns
Scenario / Stage Setting
Camera Angles
Props and FX
Length of Screen Time
Training Time
Working with Stunt Doubles
Timing Beats / Emotional Rhythm
Team Effort
Communicating with Various Departments

But there's moves in there that are definitely utilizing Sayoc knife work.

The Training Sequence shows a modified vital template. It represents the base of the Sayoc methodology.

The difficult part of working in film, are that the factors above plus more are involved with the making of the fights - it has to be approved through a variety of folks - you have to demo a LOT - you have to teach in a short cut way while still getting the concepts across.

The easy part is that the fights scenes are all fun and games compared to the real life thing.

--Rafael--
---------
----------
--------
----------
---------
--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."
Jose Rizal, from his 1889 essay, ' To The Filipinos '

mookie

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 10:37:22 AM »
thanks rafeal

i knew some things have to be changed because it is film...i was just curious on how much...definately looks like a great art, unfortunately the closest place to me that teached it is about 2 hours away...from what i understand it would be a worthwhile commute and one that im seriously considering

thanks again
mike

Hakoko

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 10:24:20 PM »
Mookie,

I would strongly recommend that you make the 2 hour trip. It would be definitely worth your time.

mookie

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 10:25:49 AM »
i plan on it, infortunately its also like a wed night or something like that...

but yeah...soon as i find the time

tomek

• View Profile
    • http://www.impact.waw.pl
The Hunted
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 01:02:17 PM »
Quote from: mookie
i plan on it, infortunately its also like a wed night or something like that...

but yeah...soon as i find the time

for me the closest place to train good FMA is 3hrs of fast driving, for closest DBMA I got 17 hrs of driving, and for Sayoc got 8hrs of flight..
and I still try to be in touch...
so don't tell me, You cannot drive 2hrs once a week...
It only depends on how much You're interested in training.
Of course Dunkin' Donuts are closer :wink:
reject what is useless

mookie

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 08:59:03 AM »
Of course Dunkin' Donuts are closer :wink:

thats just low...i wouldn't subject my body to that....

haha...fine, so its more of an "i need the money" issue than time...regardless im gonna start soon

ajasen

• View Profile
damage control
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 04:33:12 AM »
I just watched the movie again on DVD.

With the help of the slo-mo, I noticed a few nice touches.  In the first confrontation, when they are still playing with empty-hand trapping, Benitio's two attacks are both backhand 'knife hand' hits  to the jugular.  Not the most punishing of strikes, but ones that definately say "if that was a knife, you'd be dead"

Tommy-Lee's smash to the spine could also have been a knife attack, saying 'oh yeah? well if *that* had been a knife..."

During the second fight, there's a quick scene of Benetio tightening a tourniquet on his arm.  That got me thinking about Tom Kier's medical management seminar at the last DBMA camp.

What do you guys think?  Would Tommy Lee's character have survived the damage he took (the worst ones being the blue-worm which evidently didn't penetrate, and the stab through the triceps which was spurting).  Assume that both fighters were wearing pre-applied tourniquets and the like (hell, they knew they were getting in a knife fight!).

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
Blade Magazine Review
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2003, 04:37:32 PM »
Check out Hank Reinhart's review of the HUNTED in the recent issue of Blade magazine. "Rambo and the 2000 pound bomb"

I don't know of Reinhart's knife background, but his opinion of the knife choreography as "poor" and the template training as unrealistic is interesting. So far, possibly the second negative review of the choreography out of all the HUNTED reviews I've read (another reviewer didn't like it because it lacked wirework). As a reader, I want reviewers to tell me WHY they have an opinion of something, however the tone and content of Reinhart's review is rather vague and condescending at best.

Ajasen,
I think TLJ would have survived- they had a helicopter on standby, and he could have had medical attention as soon as the fight was over. That real life hiker survived without the arm he severed himself for a longer time period. I was rooting for Benicio to survive as well....HUNTED 2!!!..heh.

--Rafael--
--------
---------
--------
--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."
Jose Rizal, from his 1889 essay, ' To The Filipinos '

mookie

• View Profile
Re: Blade Magazine Review
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 05:20:33 AM »
Quote from: Sun_Helmet
(another reviewer didn't like it because it lacked wirework)

whats wirework?? sorry for my ignorance, i think i know what your refering to i just want to clarify in my own mind  :wink:

I agree, if you like or don't like.  Agree or don't agree with something say why.  I hate it when people insist "that won't work" or "i don't like that" but won't tell you why they feel as they do

mike

Argyll

Re: Blade Magazine Review
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 01:45:58 PM »
Quote from: mookie

whats wirework?? sorry for my ignorance, i think i know what your refering to i just want to clarify in my own mind  

Special effects movie fighting, were the actors are suspended from hidden cables for their jumps, kicks, and the like.  Think "The Matrix" or "Crouching Tiger."

Best regards,

Argyll

mookie

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 05:02:17 PM »
thats what i thought.  so the lack of wirework in a movie thats supposed to show realistic fighting is bad how?  I'm at a lack of words for this guys ignorance.  I guess even in realistic movies people want to see the actors flying and doing unrealistic things?

jayceblk

• View Profile
The Hunted
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »
Realisim is for documentaries or instructional videos. I mean you want a certain amount of it so things amke sense but it really is for entertainment. I know people that freaked about the knife forging thing and i was like "Hey, its a movie, not an instructional video on forging." I mean if they are debating whether or not it would take that long, or if its possible, enough heat from the fire. If all those things were included accurately nobody would like the movie as it would be to long and to much like a documentary.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Treat everyone as you wish to be treated.