Author Topic: I am new and have 3 questions.  (Read 9390 times)

krait44

• View Profile
I am new and have 3 questions.
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
I have been studying Chinese martial arts for a while 9-10 years and have done a few others along the way. I love and respect all martial arts.

I just purchased Attacking Blocks and Combining Stk and Ft. I am sincerely impressed. After a few years of doing Tai Chi sword I started to realize that something is going on here that is similar to Kali. The 8 lines of attack similarity was apparent but I had no basis to take that connection any further than that. Enter Dog Brothers; they translated the grammatical code of traditional weapons arts into an American taijitsu(kinesthetic language), so to speak. I am sure if anyone writes a book on martial arts in America the DB's will have a big chapter.

I am deeply grateful for this information and it has deepened my love of martial arts.

Questions:

1. I am definitely going to buy Kali-Tudo, does it have Hubud drills?

2. If not, Can anyone recommend a good Hubud DVD?

3. Are Cold Steels polypor escrima sticks any good? Have they been tested?

Thankyou,

Krait
Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.
Miguel de Cervantes

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: I am new and have 3 questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:56:24 AM »
a bunch of views and no responses?

I can't answer your first question (although Kali Tudo is on my shopping list along with DLO...), though it may be worth checking out Guro Inosanto's series to see if hubud drills are there.

As for the polypor stick, I have never used cold steel's but have tried something similar and found that it wasn't really to my liking (although it was okay to usa in my random things i like to swing around collection). Without getting too hokey, it really is better to have a nice piece of rattan. Everytime Pappy Dog (www.bloodsport.com) would bring his bucket of sticks to the gathering i'd like to hold each one and get a feel for it's "soul." In some ways your stick chooses you. I'm just not sure polypor can do that. I currently use sticks ordered from here and they have lasted a good long time.

(plus the burning smell that rattan makes when you're heavy hitting is nice too)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Here is my insight :-D :

1.  I assume you mean the traditional Higot Hubud Lubud drills.  In this case I would strongly recommend Guro I.'s FMA series.  I would have to go take a look to see which ones focus on empty hand.  On the other hand, Kali Tudo does do a kinds of "counter for counter" drill where Guro Jeff & Guro Lonely go back and forth trading techniques that are taught.  I can't express enough how helpful this part of the DVD is for me.  While not traditional it does use many entries and such similar to hubud drills while working the application. 

2.  Guro I.'s

3.  ehhhhemmm, www.Durattan.com  :-D  It feels weird to say, but I have yet to have a complaint or return.  For some people Durattan doesn't match up to rattan, for others they have switched entirely to Durattan.  For myself I don't think anything will ever replace natural rattan and I find myself using both Durattan and rattan.  In regards to the cold steel version I read that they are made out of polypropylene which we found was entirely too hard on the joints (the sticks really seemed to vibrate a lot).  We also liked to have choices in sizes and not be limited to one diameter.  Because of this, Durattan came up with its own patented polymer blend that acts more like rattan and multiple diameters and sizes.  I'll  get off my soap box now.

Gruhn 
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »
Gruhn,

Durattan Q:  Do you stick get the sweet smell of burning rattan from these...  Call me strange but man that smell brings back some fond memories. :-P

Dean
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:52:31 AM »
Haha,
  Believe it or not I get asked this all the time.  You get the same smell with Durattan against rattan and with Durattan against Durattan unfortunately we lose the sweet smell of burning rattan  :cry:  One of the small trade offs . . .

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »
Haha,
  Believe it or not I get asked this all the time.  You get the same smell with Durattan against rattan and with Durattan against Durattan unfortunately we lose the sweet smell of burning rattan  :cry:  One of the small trade offs . . .

Gruhn

Thanks for the reply...  Maybe an idea for a new Axe body spray...  "Wrath of the Rattan" body spray for Men... LOL   :lol:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

krait44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I was beginning to think I said something wrong. I read it over and could think of anything.

I did go to other forums and post about the CS escrima. The responses I have found were unfavorable. I have decided NOT to purchase them. I found an Aikidoka who had a good supply of hickory and for a decent price. He has an essay on how to train with wood without it cracking. Really interesting.

I have some rattan for practice, I was looking for something substantial i.e. home away from home self defense. 

I think Kali Tudo has what I am looking for. Hubud looks so cool! I just want to do it.

Thanks again,
Krait

Miguel de Cervantes

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
I'd love to see that essay on training with wood without it cracking.

Concerning hubud, it is part of the training in DBMA.  As a matter of fact I was training one of my private students in it rather heavily just this morning.

Concerning some of the negative commentary about it and similar training methods, see the thread "Tippy Tappy Drills-- thread or menace?" on this forum.

Of couse Guro Inosanto would be the best course of action for learning hubud!  (And of course, I second Gruhn's kind words about our "Kali Tudo"(c) DVD  :-D )

Training hubud is great fun and in my opinion when connected with the proper understandings can be of tremendous fighting value.    If I may offer a suggestion-- learn it on your complementary side first (your left side if you are a righty) and ingrain it well, then learn it on your dominant side, then learn to fluidly flow between the two.

krait44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly take heed.

I am not endorsing these essays as gospel. I just spoke with the guy at Kingfisher woodworks and he suggested I read them. I read them and they made pretty good sense. He is definitely NOT saying they are or can be indestructible.

Kali-tudo is my next martial purchase.

http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/warr.maint.html
http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_taylorcol_0603.html

Thanks,

Krait
Miguel de Cervantes

krait44

• View Profile
One more link
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
This link has hardwood density and relative impact strength.

http://www.aikiweb.com/weapons/goedkoop1.html
Miguel de Cervantes