Author Topic: The ultra useful Illustrismo Cross Step  (Read 6713 times)

krait44

• View Profile
The ultra useful Illustrismo Cross Step
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »
Comments from combing stick & footwork.

I have been praticing the Illustrismo cross step quite a lot lately. (Seeing those action clips of the techniques taught really provide good motivation.)

One thing, I noticed in that first empty hand example: Crafty Dog points out the spring step entry, after the evasion from the Thai kick to the inner knee. That spring step entry is strikingly similar to Hsing Yi, a chinese martial art. In HY, there is a step called a "chicken step" and basically you spring forward off the back leg. This is trained ad infinitum. If that spring step is developed it could provide a more stable and rapid entry. I never mentally realized that it could be used after an evasion. I am glad that connection was point out.

Second point, By not bending the wrist on the downward strike as the evading leg is brought back saves the joints from excessive wear and tear. It also seems quicker. Has anyone found this to be so? I have been practising this for long hours and I definitely feel less wrist pain when executing it without bending but I do not have enough experience with it to tell if it is faster.

I also imagine it is the same with the redondo. Palm up--> to palm down.

Thank you,

Krait   
Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.
Miguel de Cervantes

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The ultra useful Illustrismo Cross Step
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »
Hey thats a pretty interesting cross reference Krait. Is your background primarily in the Chinese Martial Arts?
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

krait44

• View Profile
Re: The ultra useful Illustrismo Cross Step
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
Yes! I have been doing CMA for about 9 years. I have done a bunch before but CMA was the first to really grab me.

I am going to purchase Kali-Tudo soon. Can't wait!

Thanks for asking

Krait
Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.
Miguel de Cervantes