Author Topic: New to the Dog Brothers Forum  (Read 6320 times)

eechurch

• View Profile
New to the Dog Brothers Forum
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
Hi all ...my name's Eric.  Greetings from the Washington DC area.  I've been involved in martial arts since the day I got my drivers license, 20 years ago.  I'm part of Guro Inosanto's instructor family, and my true passion's are Kali and Pentjak Silat ...oh yeah, and my family.  :wink:  I hope to be able to get from and give to all that I can.

"Train hard, fight Easy."  --Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Dog Brothers Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:45 PM »
Welcome aboard Eric!

rawbzilla

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »
Bom Dia!

My name is Gunga and I'm a member of Raizes do Brazil. We are a Capoeira group based in Brooklyn NY and HQed in Refice Brazil. I came across the DBMA site while surfing for different stickfighting methods and I really like the ethics as well as training methods I've seen and come across.
http://capoeirabrooklyn.com/

:mrgreen:

eechurch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
Many thanks Crafty.

Hey rawbzilla ...excellent web site.  I've wanted to try Capoeira for a while, it looks like a blast.  Probably put me in the hospital, but oh well, that's never stopped me before.   :-P

Take care...

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:17:42 AM »
rawbzilla,

can you offer any insights on how capoeristas train sticks? I've gone to a few batizados and seen the sticks being pulled out for play...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »
Capoeira is amazing.  Maestre Boneco taught at the Inosanto Academy for a time.  When he was in the room, all women's eyes and thoughts were on him  :x :lol:

rawbzilla

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:01:53 AM »
rawbzilla,

can you offer any insights on how capoeristas train sticks? I've gone to a few batizados and seen the sticks being pulled out for play...

We play a game with stick called maculele. The sticks are called grimas,about 2 feet long but some train with shorter sticks. It's played to its own rhythm. When the Contre-Mestre\Mestre gives the signal,two of us enter the roda and on the 3rd beat you can kick flip twist and tap left grima.. On the fourth,you strike the right stick. In demos,we wear grass skirts. I've seen the advanced students in our group play with Facoes,It's like a machete. The sparks be flying! I've been training under Foca for almost a year now.

^ My ContreMestre and I