Dog Brothers Public Forum

HOME | PUBLIC FORUM | MEMBERS FORUM | INSTRUCTORS FORUM | TRIBE FORUM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2017, 10:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the Dog Brothers Public Forum.
101175 Posts in 2371 Topics by 1087 Members
Latest Member: R.K
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dog Brothers Public Forum
|-+  DBMA Martial Arts Forum
| |-+  Martial Arts Topics
| | |-+  Community Stick/Staff Fights in Berkeley and Elsewhere
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Community Stick/Staff Fights in Berkeley and Elsewhere  (Read 791 times)
Mick C.

« on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »

I don't know if this is an appropriate topic of discussion on the Martial Arts Forum, as it crosses the line over into politics so I'll leave that up to Crafty. I'm not really interested in discussing the politics involved on the MA side, but I'd be interested in hearing discussion on what we can learn from watching relatively unskilled fighters (mostly - there may be some with some training) try to wallop each other, both from the standpoint of skill sets and a new cultural phenomenon.

In the recent anti-Trump / pro-Trump riots in Berkeley, as well as fights related to the Inauguration, clips on the news and YouTube showed numerous examples of stick fights and staff fights (using "flagpoles" brought to the protests). More recently, at the melee that resulted after the confrontation between pro-Trump and anti-Trump (the "Antifa") protestors, the confrontations seem to be assuming a ritualized context of community fighting, as both sides are increasingly arming themselves with sticks and staves, as well as more modern weapons such as pepper spray which is being used indiscriminately. In response to the rising tide of aggression, you can see protestors begin to armor themselves with helmets, face masks, shin guards (I would imagine cups), and chest protectors, eye protection, and carrying sticks and wooden shields, frequently painted with insignia representing their causes.

The melee-type battles that follow look like a mix of an unskilled full-contact stick fighting meet, SCA, and African tribal ritualized combat. It's interesting to consider whether these kind of community fights stoke tensions or act as some kind of communal pressure valve, as they seem to do in third-world settings.

Here's an example of the type of protection pro-Trump fighters are sporting:

Anti-Trump: Not sure of the significance of the 3 arrows:

Technique seems to be about what you would expect:

There are some real injuries:

Even innocent bystanders are at risk:

The flags seem to be carried not only for group identification purposes but also to be used as staves/spears:

Short, heavy flagpoles may be a work-around to avoid being accused of carrying a weapon, as a stick supporting a flag or protest sign is probably a 1st Amendment issue:

Here's a pretty stout flagpole:

Sticks are carried and used more frequently:

Some Youtube videos of the melee:

https://youtu.be/enIIfAZC210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szXhKyoMRow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhsuDSAfVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qFF8howHbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMvFPSi4cY

Again, I hope this is an appropriate area of discussion for the forum.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:19:43 AM by Mick C. » Logged
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »

Nice find-- good work!  grin
G M
Power User

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »

This will work it's way to edged weapons, firearms and explosives in time.
Mick C.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »

This will work it's way to edged weapons, firearms and explosives in time.

The guy in the top photo (who goes by the monicker "Based Stick Man") has at least two visible knives. He got arrested for those under California's "Dagger" law, but was later released without being charged.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

I noticed that.

It would appear that a lot of pressure is building up as we circle the vortex that may well be a portal to a dimension we will not like when we get there , , ,
Mick C.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »

That drill/warm-up you taught us at a seminar - where you try to touch as many people in the room without being touched yourself (to the tune of "Represent Cuba") - would have been really good practice for anyone caught up in that mob. 360 degree awareness is hard.

If the old saying is true that you only perform in combat at 50% (or whatever) of your skill level when practicing, I would imagine that melee fighting would drop that skill level another 25% or so.
Mick C.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »

Berkeley PD photo of weapons and such seized from rioters.
G M
Power User

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »

Voluntarily putting yourself into these types of situations is the perfect of example of going to stupid places and doing stupid things with stupid people.
Crafty_Dog
Administrator
Power User

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

Mick C:

Yes, you get it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: