Author Topic: Guard for Self- Defense  (Read 4390 times)

shane

• View Profile
Guard for Self- Defense
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »
On another forum Luis G. of SBGi had this to say about the guard position for self-defense purposes. I like what he had to say. What do you guys think?

Its to avoid primarily by a heavy emphasis on clinch work but yes, get back to standing and/ or reversals for escape or control.

No dvds planned for the ISR material as its training oriented and we feel its best to experience the drills, tactics, instruction etc in person. At least for the results we want from our affiliates, instructors, and personnel.

The guard for self-defense is primarily there to create space via angles or kicking to eventually turn them over and get vertical again so we do not teach it as a closed wait and/ or submit position. If you train BJJ, then that will certainly make you better at doing work from there but if its your life or loved ones life at stake, forget points, stalling, or looking for a submission and use it to better your position for dominance, neutralizing them or escaping. Yes, chokes and submission from there work no doubt but you should train for what you are preparing for specifically. You can get very good and using the guard as your back up to your clinch and stand up work and as a back up, it should only be used until you can regain your primary tools and tactics.

The best way to adjust the guard to self-defense situations is to drill it with time limits and goals stated above, to dominate, neutralize, or escape that position. In other words, can you cuff them if that your job or stop their aggression to get control or away.

Hope that helps,

-Luis

Thanks,
Shane

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Guard for Self- Defense
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
The first thing I ALWAYS look for over everything regarding ground work and self defense is weapon/hand control.  "Position over Submission" still holds true but being weapon centric and looking for limb control is key.  In most of my fights that have gone to the ground I have used my Guard to neutralize the weapon yielding limb.  Be it knife or stick, the weapon is always #1 for me.  I really like Crafty's block of material for Guard.  I can't wait to see this stuff in the Kali Tudo ground DVD.

Woof!
Gruhn
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:46:07 PM by Crafty_Dog »
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

shane

• View Profile
Re: Guard for Self- Defense
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »
Great stuff Ryan. I too, am eagerly awaiting KT for the ground. Thanks Ryan for your info and anymore you have to offer on the subject would be great.

Thanks,
Shane