Author Topic: Question for a friend on Joining the DB when there is no DB  (Read 7852 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
He wants to know how you join Dog Brothers if you live NO where near the DOG brothers and there is no Dog Brothers in his area...I told him you have to fight at a gathering I belive and I told him you can fly in but then I remembered that he is broke along with his brothers that practice Kali.

Bandolero

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Question for a friend on Joining the DB when there is no DB
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
While I don't know for sure, I do not believe that a fight or two at one Gathering automatically makes you a Dog Brother.  Rather, I believe that the fight is one element of the overall process that is used in making that decision.  I have yet to meet a Dog Brother who did not have substantial character in my humble opinion.  It is my sense that this is not by chance, but rather that character is an element of the equation that is assessed.  Character can only be adequately assessed over time, and through the eyes of several other persons of character.  Ergo the overall process may be a bit more complicated than just fighting at a Gathering.
"This is a war, and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at any time, in any place." ~ Morpheus

sgtmac_46

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
My understanding is that membership in the exclusive group 'the Dog Brothers' is by invitation only.....but i'm sure you can join the DBMA on the website for ongoing online training. ;)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:16:23 PM »
I don't think any other members of the tribe would disagree that a great start is to join the association.  The members forum is such a great tool and the amount of knowledge that is shared is truly indispensable.

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:00:23 AM »
Very cool. Thank You , Crafty!

Mongo Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
I been and still AM in this situation myself. Where I live in Ohio there is no DBMA. But if there is a wheel there is a way! My good friend and training partner Tiffany Weindorf and I have embarked on a good way of training the DBMA matrial through the dvds. Her and I have a pretty good backround In Kali. Trough our teacher but we reached that point that we wanted to take it to the next level. Tiffany researched and looked at the DBMA matrial trough a analytical mindset and was able to put it all in order for practice.
We started out slow and have worked our behinds off to learn a great deal of matrial through the dvds. We have the basics and then on to merging drills and attacking blocks and  my fav Kali Tudo! :-D Also I can not forget the DLO dvd.

Once that was being worked on we found Craftys student Ryan Gruhn In Pennsylvania and then brained stormed about having  Crafty out for a sem.  After about a year of working our tails off and A three hour car drive we went to the sem. Her and I did  privates with Crafty and once that was done we had a better understanding of where Her and I was going as far as training DBMA. Crafty even made Tiffany a group leader!!!   
Now I don't mean to ramble on and on but if there is no way to join DBMA Then do what her and I have done team up! Save  and look at the dvds . LOOK on the DBMA website for when Crafty  is doing a sem in your area for me a three hour car trip was worth it to train with him.
 Joining the DBMA is  one way also! I'm guilty in this regard but going to fix that this payday!!! 8-) This is coming from a guy in Ohio who wants to improve and found a way to do it with out breaking the bank!!!! Mongo Gary :-D

sleddog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:30 AM »
The gatherings are a great way to meet other like minded individuals who want to stick fight, but I can assure you that those are not the only times these people actually practice. I was also quite far away from others when I began and I found that it made me create my own group so that I could get my practice in.

The DVD route works for technical evolution but nothing replaces getting out there and doing it with friends or foe. Just the finding out what it feels to get hit is an eye opening experience. Realising that your power/fear/motivation impulses are all heightened by this thing is enough of a reason. Mostly that the pain you feared is rarely as bad as you thought. Remember, before the Dog Brothers existed we were still there and did it for ourselves.

Good luck, have fun.

Philip "Sled Dog" Gelinas