Author Topic: Suzanne Spezzano: Majadpahit Silat  (Read 14679 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Suzanne Spezzano: Majadpahit Silat
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »
From her husband John:
=====================

Hey everyone,

Suzanne's outstanding instructional Silat DVD is finally ready for order.  Here's a link to the promo clip on You Tube. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3r4oXOX_tc.  CHECK IT OUT!!!

Please contact her to order the DVD at gurosuzanne@yahoo.com. 

Thanks for your interest!!
jvs
======================

I have seen Suzanne teach this material at the Inosanto Academy and think the material excellent.  Like much silat, it asks much of the practitioner and is not for everyone.  I will be buying it for me because I think the material to be outstanding for moving well on and striking well from the ground in a way that can be quite "outside the box".  What I saw had a wonderful "silat yoga" quality and I am thinking that the DVD will contain this material.  I will review here once I get my copy.

TAC,
Crafty Dog

jvs9932

• View Profile
Re: Suzanne Spezzano: Majadpahit Silat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »
Hey Marc,

Thanks for the plug.  It's gonna sound lame because she's my wife, but honestly this DVD is really, really good.  Suzanne has put together a complete Silat curriculum for the beginner, intermediate and advanced student.  It's laid out very clearly with multiple camera angles and separate close ups for the fine details.  The program includes:

--Ground Warmup

--Ground Mobility and Evasion techniques

--Ground kicks

--Standing evasive footwork

--Partner kicking drills

--Takedowns

--Ground vs. Stand up (partner drills)

--Stand up vs. Ground (partner drills)

--Counter for counter takedowns

--Backsweep (silhig) series

--Shield (karasak) series

--Counter for Counter combinations

--BONUS!! Ikat (handkerchief) techniques

If you want to use Silat to improve your conditioning, flexibility, strength. ground movement and transitioning from the feet to the ground, this DVD is for you!  Please check out the You Tube link at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3r4oXOX_tc

John Spezzano

Bandolero

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:22:35 AM »
Man I wish I could move that fluidly when I am standing up, much less at ground level.  Good looking material.
"This is a war, and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at any time, in any place." ~ Morpheus

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »
By the way, one of Suzanne's silat teachers is Tony Felix:

http://dogbrothers.com/wrapper.php?file=boardofadvisors.html

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
How much of Guru I's Silat has now been adapted from the Tony Felix Wali Songo material?
BTW is the the term "Maphilindo" now transmuted to Majapahit, relative to the Inosanto Academy Silat?

Tom Furman

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »
The Spezzanos would be more on top of Wali Songo's influence than I, but I will say that Ma-phil-indo=Malaysian+Filipino+Indonesian and Majapahit refers to the Majapahit Empire, the boundaries of which were not indentical to the current boundaries of Malaysia, the RP, and Indonesia.  I think I have this right , , ,

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:09:38 AM »
I bought it. This video is high on production value and high in information. This is a great reference for all those Techniques that Guro I throws at us. Also Suzanne does a very good job of demo'ing and explaining. Easy to watch and learn from this dvd. This helps with the throws on "Combining stick and Footwork" and "Attacking Blocks"

Pappydog

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »
 Pappy,

do you e-mail her to buy the DVD or was there some place online you were able to purchase it? let me know.

thanks,
                                                     Francisco

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:10:24 PM »
Things are super adventurous for me at the moment, so a proper full-length review from me will have to wait a bit, but for the moment I will say that Pappy's description is right on.