Author Topic: filipino Weapons and Armour  (Read 19282 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
filipino Weapons and Armour
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:01:27 AM »
In my study of Kali I never knew this..Kali warriors wore armour?!!!
Their armour looks like something like a cross between something chinese and something European

http://www.eriksedge.com/moroswords.html

And I never knew about the weapon called the Moro Barong

Do you fight with it the same was as stick and knife?

armydoc

• View Profile
Re: filipino Weapons and Armour
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:46 PM »
The Moros were Muslims.  The armor pictured on the webpage noted looks to me like it is pretty typical of the armor that would have been worn by the "Saracens" during the Crusader era.  The barong is a pretty standard blade shape within FMAs, though there are a multitude of different blades.  Much of the "classical" stick work was done as a training substitute for a blade, so yes...the barong would be used in a fashion very similar to stick technique.

Keith

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
Put some weapons out on the drive way for you to look at.

Make it a great day.

Crutch
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:36:06 AM by tcrutcher »

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:22:46 AM »
Crutch,
  How Cool!  I'm actually really interested in finding out the history of some of the blades in your collection?  Do you know what tribe, time period, etc. they came from?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
Ill start off with the long and short.

The long is a cut down off of a broken civil war sword.  The local odd fellows  club shut down and sold their theater stock and this was mixed in with the other stuff.  The short is a Spanish daga bought off of ebay.  They aren't a matched pair but i use them when I practice boarding tactics.

The Kriss is from a museum that was decommissioning part of its collection. It is "Moro" and a vet bring back from the Spanish American War.

The Barong is a reproduction.

The Balisong is modern.

The Garab/Talibon (above the balisong) was made in Leyet PI. The hand carved scabbard has an inscription in faded ink on the back.,   It was presented as a gift from the Marines to a M. Meuzik on Feb 17th 1945. this item was a WWII vet bring back.

I made the Largo Mano/Dos Manos Sticks and the Staffs.

The Lower Parang directly above the Barong is also a WWII bring back. I was told it is made out of a broken leaf spring of a jeep.  I don't know what province it was made in.

The Chopper directly below the escrima sticks (center) is modern.  Picked it up on ebay for $3.00  It weighs a ton.

On the right is a Dao with a sea grass/rattan wrapped handle.  This was a purchased from an antique shop.

The daab is from Thailand and was a vet bring back from the Vietnam war.  I use the dao and daab  more info here  http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001291.html   or http://thaiblades.com/forums/showthread.php?p=139701&posted=1#post139701when I want to work Krabi movements by my self with a live blade (very very slow movement)  I bought a pair of training Krabi swords from Brian Rideout and use those when working with my training  partners.

When i was at university, At ISU I had access to part of the collection form the Colombian exposition in Chicago circa 1893.

It was amazing to handle some of these weapons.  You can instantly tell the difference between a tourist piece and weapons of war just by holding them.  Much more utilitarian.

If you are ever in town Ill see if I can arrange a viewing of the collection at ISU.

Crutch
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 04:54:26 PM by tcrutcher »

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:54:05 PM »
The only weapons I have for Kali is my Cold Steel Tanto edge cuts though car hoods Folder, Some rattan Practice Sticks and 2 Kamagong kali sticks..Thats it..

Jikiri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:15:24 PM »
enjoy

filipino weapons.

from mindanao (with some samar):
krises from different sultanates

panabases and barungs

bangkungs and kampilans

garabs (from samar), gunongs (daggers), and yakan pira

Jikiri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »
cont.

Lumad weapons

bagobo sundang, t'boli kampilan (tok), mountain province headaxes

mandaya sundangs and dagger, spearhead

bontoc province weapons (pinahigs) kalinga shield

Jikiri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
cont.

Luzon and Visayas

various katipunan swords 9with a token panay tenegre)

tenegres, binangon and some more katipunan swords

8-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:24 AM »
Woof Jikiri:

Thank you for sharing!

Obviously it is quite a serious collection.  What can you tell us about it?

yip!
CD

Jikiri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 07:49:25 AM »
crafty,

thanks, but it's not all mine. i wish, lol...
these weapons are at least a hundred years old. i would say majority are g.i. bringback from the philippine-american war at the turn of the century. what is so amazing is how most of these treasures has maintained its sharpness after all these years. i'm just doing my share of being the care taker in this life time and hopefully the next generation would take care of them with the utmost respect.

krises- you guys (and gals) have seen these before. most popular weapon of the moro people. comes in three different flavors: straight, half straight/half wave, and fully waved
barungs- tausug's favorite weapon. pommel ranges from simple yet elegant banati wood to the real elaborate ivory worn by datus. simple in design yet deadly.
panabas- nasty blades that were used as head chopper. these babies are 3/4 of an inch thick at the base!
Kampilan- fave weapon of the maguindanaon.
bangkung- rare moro weapon found in sulu. not too much is known about this weapon, except that it's prolly more of a utility type, but are carried sometimes as personal weapon.
pira- another rare moro weapon. only the yakans of basilan are known to carry this type.
gunongs- the moro version of daga.
garab or talibon- the fanatical christian cult known as pulahans fave weapon. here's an excerpt from The Jungle Patrol:
Their weapon was a heavy, crescent-shaped bolo with which they could decapitate a man at a blow. Their battle preparations consisted of bottles of holy oil, prayer books, consecrated anting-antings, and other religious paraphernalia. Their mode of attack was a massed bolo rush. Their battle cry was that dreadful "Tad-Tad" which means "Chop to pieces," and they moved into action behind waving banners.
bagobo sundang- lumad tribe in Mindanao
T'boli Kampilan- also known as tok, favored by the lumad tribe known as t'boli
headaxes- from various mountain province tribes: kalinga, bontoc, apayao
mandaya bolo, mandaya dagger, and a mandaya spearhead- another mindanao lumad tribe
hinalung- bolo from the mountain province of luzon
pinahigs- another type of sundang from the mountain province of luzon
kalinga shield- IMHO, one of the most beautiful shield in the world
various katipunan bolos- i'm sure you guys are familiar with this part of our history. these are from luzon, although a visayan tenegre got mixed up in there somehow
tenegre- found in panay, negros and guimaras. still being made today, but the older ones can be distinguished with the carved diety pommels
binangon- similar to tenegre, except for one distinct feature. anyone care to guess?
sansibars- cebuanos' fave weapon.

hope this helps... :mrgreen: