Author Topic: The Older Warrior  (Read 122849 times)

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Older Warrior
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
There is a video and slides at the link.

http://quantifiedself.com/2014/06/max-gotzler-testosterone-diet-experiment/

What did I do?
I explored how diet changes influenced my level of free testosterone. In addition, I observed how changes in testosterone related to my mood, sleep and energy level.

How did I do it?
Over the course of one year, I regularly checked my level of free (active) testosterone in saliva and correlated the results to other data I had collected using apps and tracking devices.

What did I learn?
I learned that eliminating carbs from my diet resulted in lower testosterone and adding carbs together with fat and protein increased testosterone. I also learned that sleep was closely tied to my level of testosterone. After good nights of sleep (usually more than 8 hours), my level was elevated the next morning.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
73 year old's workout
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Pretty freakin' impressive.

The link should take you to a video of a 73 year "old" man working out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=456053531164394
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:55:02 PM by Crafty_Dog »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
Older Boxer takes it to a young buck
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
Older boxer takes it to a young buck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIoFdk5WcE

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:23:46 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Older and Aging Warrior ?
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:48 AM »
Not Martial Arts, but...   I am heading out to compete in the USTA (tennis) over-55, national championships this week.  It is a team competition, all doubles, and all teams that have won their section from around the country.  At 58, I am working the delicate art of playing and training without over-training.  Part of our preparation was to play a competitive college team this fall. The old guys held their own pretty well.   ) 

Spartan Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Brothers Training Group - Athens, Greece
Re: The Older and Aging Warrior ?
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2014, 01:52:11 AM »
Not Martial Arts, but...   I am heading out to compete in the USTA (tennis) over-55, national championships this week.  It is a team competition, all doubles, and all teams that have won their section from around the country.  At 58, I am working the delicate art of playing and training without over-training.  Part of our preparation was to play a competitive college team this fall. The old guys held their own pretty well.   ) 

Congratulations, and best wishes for good luck!.  Remember always that the world needs Older Warriors to serve as role models for the younger generation.

When I was in my twenties, I had the good fortune of training (TKD) alongside people who were twenty years older than me.  I admired their spirit, and vowed to emulate them someday. 

Now, at three years younger than yourself, I continue to fight at Euro Gatherings.  So my hat off to you sir...KEEP IT UP !!!
Dog Brothers Training Group, Athens, Greece
http://www.dogbrothers.gr/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Older Warrior
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »
Thanks Spartan for the encouraging words!  We had a great tournament.  Did not leave with the title we wanted but won a first set off the team that gets to call themselves national champions.  I was hit by a car at 17.  Decades later, I get to compete with guys who played Division I college or pro tour back when I was working my way out of handicapped parking.  Now in 55 and over, everyone has physical limitations, though our opponents never seem to show it.  I couldn't be more lucky and grateful to still be at it.  We are fortunate to love a sport that can last a lifetime.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Widsom from "Geezer"
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »

When I first began using a cane some 6-7 years ago because of a trick knee, I walked 3-5 miles a day with a jaunty swagger, spinning the cane, throwing it into the air and catching it, just showing off really.  Probably because I was embarrassed to have the cane.

Then came the increasing heart problems, and the limited ability to exert strength, and I took some cane training with an aikido some of you may know, Toma, down in the SF valley. Great guy, a follower of Canemaster training.

I bought the usual assortment of tapes, and watched some of them faithfully.
Some time passed, heart problems increased, strength and endurance went south. We moved up here, and I decided one day to practice my skills against my wife using one of those foam blocker thingies. Oh dear. She whipped me unmercifully, (But gently.) because I no longer had the strength in hands and arms, nor the endurance because of the pacemaker, to move the cane as fast as before.

Basically, everything Toma tried so hard to teach me became part of the used-to-be.

I haver tried to work out a few things of my own, and I have come to the rather sad conclusion that the cane's greatest use for me today, other than holding me up and making it possible to walk a couple of blocks, is as a mitsubishiroonie, or whatever you call it, a distraction. The only strike I can manage without a huge windup would be a two-handed bayonet thrust. Not one of the blocks from the videos, etc., works any more. Cane is relatively too heavy for my diminished strength to move it very fast. Overhand strikes ditto, they telegraph too much.

As a distraction, it works fine. I can throw it, brandish it, wave it around, and while the OG is focusing on the cane I am drawing a pistol. It is also part of an EWS. Almost everyone who looks at the cane, then looks at me and smiles, or else studiously looks away. Anyone who continues to focus on the cane is thinking it over.

I would be thrilled to death to find some training or picture book or video that took these limitations into consideration. While we're at it, how about some thing for using a walker as a weapon?

Couple of days ago I received another warning that the hourglass is running faster and faster. The doctor said they are signing off on a scooter for me, you know, one of this little electric go carts for me to ride around on. Hip joints are gone, and because of the heart, they will wait until I am immobile before operating to give me some mechanical ones.

God bless and y'all be mindful out there.