Author Topic: Sayoc kali?  (Read 20527 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sayoc kali?
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
Is it good stuff or Haga?

Is there a school in So cali?

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Sayoc kali?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:27:30 PM »
Haga??

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:28 AM »
Travis and Joey a school in Signal Hill (Long Beach area) that teaches Sayoc very well.  I took privates from Travis there for a goodly while.  If that works for you I will locate the contact info.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
Haga??

It's a term for trash in Conan..Like I am going to sell you this and you say this better not be HAGA!

@ Crafty - Yes that would be very cool..Thank you

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:49:33 PM »
Hey Crafty..You would not happen have found that info..Have you?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »
The computer I had with that data died a gruesome death several months ago. 

Have you tried the Sayoc site?  I'm guessing they list their instructors there and with the info I gave you, you should be able to find it.

Anyway, I'm out the door in a few hours to Switzerland for 6 days of teaching, the Euro DB Gathering, etc.

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
I think Joey's school is integrated Martial Arts, they have a website

http://www.intmartialarts.com/

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »
Thank for that..I see if you just want to take something you can..You don't have to take all the JKD and Savate stuff..Not a fan of that...Some places make you take all that

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
The one thing I have noticed from the Sayoc Kali stuff on you tube is that it's very fancy..There seems to be alot of Choreographed knife techincs where the person who is getting cut just seems to go with it..I have a problem here because in the chaos of battle ppl tend to slip or move away and not allow you to follow a predetermined set of patterned cuts. This is where I find the type of Kali that I take to be alittle more on the Cutting edge then this..We don't follow a pattern like that and have 6 strikes that move with the person durring the chaos.

Am I wrong here or is it just seem like that's what is being showed on the video's?

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »
The one thing I have noticed from the Sayoc Kali stuff on you tube is that it's very fancy..There seems to be alot of Choreographed knife techincs where the person who is getting cut just seems to go with it..

Which clip are you refering to? There's some "fancy" stuff on youtube because those clips were for the Combat Choreography demo reel, they are not instructional clips but for film.

I have a problem here because in the chaos of battle ppl tend to slip or move away and not allow you to follow a predetermined set of patterned cuts. This is where I find the type of Kali that I take to be alittle more on the Cutting edge then this..We don't follow a pattern like that and have 6 strikes that move with the person durring the chaos.

Am I wrong here or is it just seem like that's what is being showed on the video's?

Yes, you're looking at it from a context that doesn't apply to Sayoc which is understandable if you've never trained in it.

The templates are not choreographed in the purpose you are describing it. What the Sayoc templates give you are optional lines of attack to vital targets. The drills give you a core pattern of flow, but after you train in them, you are no longer limited by the pattern. However, you retain WHY you do this slash versus a thrust and vice versa.

Imagine learning a jab, cross combo. That's a pattern.
Now add a left hook. That alters pattern.
After you learn how to box - those three strikes can make up numerous patterns once you have the coordination, concepts and body mechanics down.
What becomes important for a good boxer is WHY they are doing one move versus another.

Also, if the quantity of your "strikes" are "cutting edge" at the number 6, then would a system that gave you 3 "strikes" be even more cutting edge?

As per "chaos of battle", that's exactly why the Sayoc templates were created in the first place because the word "Chaos" to us means that one lacks a formula to solve a specific problem. To a JJ guy what they do is not chaos, but to an untrained eye it looks foreign. However, the JJ guy could be perfectly at ease in their realm.

Btw, since Sayoc is a Feeder- based system, the goal is not to move with the person, the goal is to make the person move with you.

If you have any more questions about Sayoc - please venture over to the sayoc.com site's public forum or better yet, give the guys at Intergrated a visit. It is much easier to grasp all this by actually training a little of it in person.

regards,
--Rafael--
Sayoc Kali
--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."
Jose Rizal, from his 1889 essay, ' To The Filipinos '

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »
@ Sun_Helmet  This is why I wanted to ask before I went into the realm. I was asking why it seemed like everything I watched on the subject looked fancy and Choreographed.I did not mean it was not effective or thats all the style had to offer was a set of Choreographed knife scenes..  I would like to learn some of it but I think the normal knife style that goes into Kali is enough to Land you in Jail after you chop someone up But I would like to see what it is all about. But yes I am very Interested in learning some...

There is just one Problem..This place is kinda far from me..I live in Rancho Cucamonga in the 909 is there any place closer to me then that or is that it?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:48:06 PM by Maxx »

MonyetNakal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »
I believe the group at Integrated is the only official training group in SoCal but check the list at www.sayoc.com to verify. Rancho Cucamonga is not *ridiculously* far from Signal Hill, and they do train Sayoc Kali on Saturdays. Sounds like you are happy with what you currently are training but it might be worth the drive to at least check it out.

PS Any time you draw a knife and use it against someone you risk going to jail. The only legal instance to use one is in a case of imminent death. I have yet  to see a "blade system" that you wouldn't go to jail for using on someone if used outside of that case and I've yet to see one that will send you to jail if used within that context (all things bing rightly judged of course.)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »
The one thing I have noticed from the Sayoc Kali stuff on you tube is that it's very fancy..There seems to be alot of Choreographed knife techincs where the person who is getting cut just seems to go with it..

Which clip are you refering to? There's some "fancy" stuff on youtube because those clips were for the Combat Choreography demo reel, they are not instructional clips but for film.

I have a problem here because in the chaos of battle ppl tend to slip or move away and not allow you to follow a predetermined set of patterned cuts. This is where I find the type of Kali that I take to be alittle more on the Cutting edge then this..We don't follow a pattern like that and have 6 strikes that move with the person durring the chaos.

Yes, you're looking at it from a context that doesn't apply to Sayoc which is understandable if you've never trained in it.

The templates are not choreographed in the purpose you are describing it. What the Sayoc templates give you are optional lines of attack to vital targets. The drills give you a core pattern of flow, but after you train in them, you are no longer limited by the pattern. However, you retain WHY you do this slash versus a thrust and vice versa.

Imagine learning a jab, cross combo. That's a pattern.
Now add a left hook. That alters pattern.
After you learn how to box - those three strikes can make up numerous patterns once you have the coordination, concepts and body mechanics down.
What becomes important for a good boxer is WHY they are doing one move versus another.

Also, if the quantity of your "strikes" are "cutting edge" at the number 6, then would a system that gave you 3 "strikes" be even more cutting edge?

As per "chaos of battle", that's exactly why the Sayoc templates were created in the first place because the word "Chaos" to us means that one lacks a formula to solve a specific problem. To a JJ guy what they do is not chaos, but to an untrained eye it looks foreign. However, the JJ guy could be perfectly at ease in their realm.

Btw, since Sayoc is a Feeder- based system, the goal is not to move with the person, the goal is to make the person move with you.

If you have any more questions about Sayoc - please venture over to the sayoc.com site's public forum or better yet, give the guys at Intergrated a visit. It is much easier to grasp all this by actually training a little of it in person.

regards,
--Rafael--
Sayoc Kali

Hey Sun. I joined up on the Sayok Forums and I am still waiting for approvel for my account and it's been awhile..I did what the forum said and I emailed the webmaster.

I also talked to Steve at Intergrated and he told me to sign up and get my membership so I could get started..Is there anyway you can contact someone over there to push my account though?

Thanks

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »
It would probably help your cause to try not to correct the family's spelling. :-D

I have informed the webmaster.

--Rafael--
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:02:33 PM by Sun_Helmet »
--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:51:33 PM »
I am spelling the name wrong?

http://www.sayoc.com/

I am just spelling it how they are spelling it  :?

MonyetNakal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »

I believe Tuhon is referring to your reference in the post quoted below.

Hey Sun. I joined up on the Sayok Forums and I am still waiting for approvel for my account and it's been awhile..I did what the forum said and I emailed the webmaster.

I also talked to Steve at Intergrated and he told me to sign up and get my membership so I could get started..Is there anyway you can contact someone over there to push my account though?

Thanks

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 06:21:11 PM »
Sayoc is the family name. Sayok is the name of a dance troup as introduced by Ed McMahon on his "StarSearch" TV show. :-D

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
Speaking of names, "Maxx" - I was just informed that the memberships are up to date.

I may need your FULL name to help you out if there's a problem.
You can PM me if you do not want to reveal it publicly.

If you want to attend the Signal Hill classes, make an appoinment with Travis or Joey via their contact info on the Integrated site.

We should leave this type of minutiae off of the DB forums.

--Rafael--
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:36:36 PM by Sun_Helmet »
--Rafael--