Author Topic: The Unorganized Militia: Citizens defend themselves/others.  (Read 312019 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
More from Charles Ramsey!
« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
MMA by osmosis.
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2013, 02:46:57 AM »

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...acking-suspect

STOCKTON, CA - Abel Simmons has been a huge fan of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) for years. But never did he imagine that he would be using the moves to defend himself or his family from a carjacking suspect.

Simmons, 29, was able to stop and hold down his attacker until police came.

Simmons says his family was pulling up to their home on E. Jefferson Street Saturday night. They had just returned from watching a UFC fight.

They were in the driveway when a man came up and started pounding on the back window of their SUV. Then, the man tried opening the back door where Simmon's sons - a newborn and a 2 year old - were sleeping. Fortunately, the door was locked.

Simmons, who was sitting in the passenger seat, jumped out out and tried to stop the man. His wife, who was driving, called 911.

The guy punched Simmons in the face. That was when Simmons tried several mixed martial arts moves. He wasn't able to restrain the assailant right away.

"I just snatched his legs and took him down. I had just put him in an arm bar, he slipped right out of it. So then I got him in a rear naked choke and started rolling and squirming around. He got out of that as well," said Simmons.

But the last move he tried worked.

"I had him in a guillotine choke. And he wasn't getting out of that. I had that lock really tight," said Simmons. "I just held him in place and said, 'Well, guess you are going to jail tonight buddy.'"

A neighbor came out to help, but he didn't' have to do much because Simmons had the man in a compromising position.

"It's impressive," said the neighbor. "He just had him in like a chokehold, had him really good, really tight."

Simmons held the man until police arrived several minutes later. According to police, the man fought with officers before being taken into custody.

The suspect, 32-year-old Shron Antoine Jones is now behind bars, booked on attempted carjacking, battery and resisting arrest.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Citizens defend themselves/others.
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I love that the CCW guy stayed on line to get his shoes  :lol:

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:52 PM »
Nice!!! Hopefully this would make these idiots think twice.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: CA LE considers being particularly stupid
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

Heinlein foresaw all of this.

quote author=Crafty_Dog link=topic=1447.msg73298#msg73298 date=1372194121]
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/24/man-shoots-kills-drunk-intruder-who-broke-into-his-home-and-attacked-his-son-so-why-are-police-investigating-case-as-a-homicide/
[/quote]

Why are you still living in such a crazy state?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
a) LA is one of the best cities on the planet when it comes to martial arts- it definitely would hurt my business efforts for me to be elsewhere

b) It's nice to see the dolphins play in the waves when I go hiking at Bluff Cove

c) Granted it is an exception, but my children's schools are rather good

d) my daughter is horse-crazy and can go riding at a stable 15 minutes away where my wife is the "barn manager" so we can afford it

e) It's nice being able to walk to the beach and that the summers are so long and so pleasant

f)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Esquire argues for conviction of Zimmerman
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/trayvon-martin-trial-quote-police-interview

Proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman committed 2nd degree murder?  I don't see it.  Others may be following this a lot closer than me, I look forward to comments and observations.

My thoughts:  Let's assume the deceased, Trayvon, was up to nothing sinister.  Even if he was scoping out homes for invasion, that doesn't warrant anyone shooting him.  Zimmerman I think is a self appointed neighborhood watch volunteer with a chip on his shoulder, a wannabe cop without the training or disposition for it, upset about what isn't being done to stop the problems, even though there was a recent arrest.

Zimmerman was sick of people like Trayvon before he met him.  By the time they were fighting, Trayvon no doubt was not liking Zimmerman either, or his attitude. I assume we don't get to know exactly how the fight started, but at some point it was Trayvon on top of Zimmerman pummeling him.  Zimmerman had plenty of injuries to corroborate that part, even if he was the one who provoked the fight.

Two guys are fighting and the one who is inflicting injuries at the end, ends up getting shot.  I see stupidity,  but I don't see murder.  2nd degree murder is the crime if Zimmerman had just shot him in the first place.  This was a fight with no proof of who struck first.  The injuries make self defense look plausible, even if he had foot in mouth, tough guy rhetoric in police interviews.  The legal question is whether Zimmerman waived his right of self defense when he chose to follow, and perhaps provoke a fight.  I would say he didn't.

If just shooting is what he was intending, why did he call the police?  If he intended to shoot, why would he have gotten engaged in a fist fight first while carrying a loaded gun?  Why get your nose broken if you are carrying a gun intending to kill.  Seems to me that by fighting, he was trying not to kill him with a gun, at least part way through the encounter. This was a stupid, avoidable fight that ended badly.  I don't take Zimmerman's side at all.  But I don't see this as murder beyond reasonable doubt.

What say others?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
POTH: In Oregon, a demand for safety, but not on their dime
« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

In Oregon, a Demand for Safety, but Not on Their Dime
Thomas Patterson for The New York Times

Because of cuts to law enforcement in Josephine County, Ore., volunteers like Glenn Woodbury of Citizens Against Crime have taken up patrols. More Photos »
By KIRK JOHNSON
Published: July 5, 2013

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — It might be well established by now that money cannot buy happiness. But can it buy public safety?

A meeting for the citizen group Secure Our Safety. More Photos »

If you ask Sgt. Todd Moran of the Grants Pass police, the answer is unquestionably yes. Burglaries were up almost 70 percent last year in his city of 35,000 about an hour north of the California border. Theft cases, up almost 80 percent. And at least part of the reason, he said, is an awareness by criminals that their actions are increasingly without consequences in cash-starved Josephine County, where the jail the city depends on is mostly closed for lack of money.

Even a felony suspect arrested with stolen goods or drugs in hand is usually just given a citation and released. Better financing for the county’s jails and prosecutors is the only way forward, Sergeant Moran said.

“It’s just broken,” he said as he drove through town on a recent afternoon patrol.

Now drive an hour south and meet Sam Nichols and Glenn Woodbury, who volunteer with a group called Citizens Against Crime. They say that financial troubles are in fact strengthening the community and that citizen crime patrols like theirs are proving that money — meaning higher taxes — is not the solution.

They began patrolling the back roads of the county last summer after staffing at the sheriff’s office was gutted by budget cuts. With local residents on watch, crime rates in their area have fallen to near zero, said Mr. Nichols, a retired marina manager, as he drove on a recent evening, with Mr. Woodbury in the passenger seat shining a spotlight into the woods and winding dark driveways.

“Eleven months without a reported theft,” Mr. Nichols said, a handgun strapped to his hip, as an orange light flashed on the roof.

Concerns about crime and taxes are civic constants in America. And questions about the limits of citizen response have come under intense focus this summer during the trial of George Zimmerman, accused of murdering an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin, while on volunteer patrol last year at a housing complex in Florida.

But the debate here goes much deeper, to the question of what government is for and how community is to be defined.

With the fiscal year that started on July 1, the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office now has exactly one deputy left available for general calls in a county of 83,000 people — down from a high of 22 at full staffing a few years ago. Citizen applications to carry a concealed weapon, meanwhile, rose 49 percent last year, according to county records.

At grocery stores in Grants Pass, stopping and citing shoplifters — sometimes with whole carts of beer or food in tow — have become part of the daily law enforcement routine.

“I hold my breath, every day, for everything,” said Sheriff Gil Gilbertson in an interview in his office, where images of John Wayne lined the walls.

The causes of Josephine County’s plight are convoluted and complex, and echoed in varying degrees across a swath of Oregon timber country that was scarred a century ago by a weird historical wrinkle: the collapse of the Oregon and California, or O&C, Railroad. Around World War I, the railroad’s lands were taken over by the federal government, leaving almost two-thirds of Josephine County, which is about the size of Rhode Island, in federal ownership. And since the federal government pays no property taxes, Congress established a system channeling revenues from the sale of timber, which the county has in abundance.

But as federal timber harvests have been reduced, the lush payments that kept property taxes low have fallen to a trickle. And a federal stopgap payment measure to make up for the timber money was phased out last year. County residents, meanwhile, have voted multiple times, most recently in May, against raising their property taxes to resolve the shortfall.

“It’s a slow-motion disaster,” said Bruce A. Weber, a professor of agricultural and resource economics at Oregon State University and the director of the Rural Studies Program. And with federal spending programs in retreat and the state budget under continued stress, he said, no fix is easy.
==============================

(Page 2 of 2)

Senator Ron Wyden, a Democrat from Oregon, is working on a package of bills that would expand what he called “sustainable” levels of timber cutting — and thus tax revenue — to Josephine and the other O&C counties. But that long-term relief would be years away. In the meantime, he said in an interview, he hopes to get a temporary financing package through the House and Senate by the end of this year. The State Legislature in Salem is also considering emergency rescue plans.

Sheriff Gil Gilbertson’s office has one deputy available for calls in a county of 83,000 people.  More Photos »

Josephine County has struggled financially as federal timber money has been reduced. More Photos »

Keith O. Heck, a county commissioner, said he fears that the county could break apart into balkanized camps of self-government, each on its own lookout, if a fix to the problem is not found soon.

“Freedom demands structure,” he said. “If you don’t have some structure to that freedom, there’s nothing that is free — everything just becomes a crapshoot and it’s just who’s got the biggest dice.”

At the Grants Pass Liquor Store, it all comes down to whether customers feel safe, said Jack Ingvaldson, the owner. Lately, he said, some do not.

“We have homeless people sitting in the alleyway — they drink, urinate, defecate, fornicate — whatever they can get away with,” he said. And a ticket or citation from a police officer? They laugh and stay put. “They don’t care — they know there’s nowhere to put them,” he said.

Some residents said they believe the crime statistics and stories are being exaggerated, or used for political effect, if and when another property tax increase is proposed on the ballot. Mr. Woodbury of the Citizens Against Crime group, for one, said he thinks it will not work.

“We’re among thousands of people in the country that are just to the point of not ever voting for another tax, whether it be public safety, or any type of an increase,” he said.

Even without a resurgent timber-cutting plan, there are already worries that balkanized camps of armed residents could create new tensions. On a recent morning, for example, Sheriff Gilbertson was called to investigate a complaint that someone had fired shots at a crew of loggers. The gunman was gone by the time the sheriff arrived. But the encounter, he said, gave him another reason to worry. The loggers said they planned to return to the job armed next time, ready for self-defense.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Video: Teen saves 5-year-old from abduction
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/07/15/video-teen-saves-5-year-old-from-abduction/

Video: Teen saves 5-year-old from abduction

posted at 12:41 pm on July 15, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fd31e02l3jk&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fd31e02l3jk&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

It’s midday on Monday, but it’s a good moment for a feel-good palate cleanser already on the main page (Allahpundit linked it in the Green Room earlier). We’ve received a few e-mails about Temar Boggs, who rescued a girl from an abductor and returned her to her family this weekend.  The teen got a feeling he was supposed to find the missing five-year-old, and his presence turned out to be the key:

That’s when, Boggs said, “I had the gut feeling that I was going to find the little girl.”

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/872026_Lancaster-teen-Temar-Boggs-hailed-as-a-hero-in-5-year-old-s-abduction.html

A friend asked Boggs to hold his bike. Boggs figured the bike would help him search for the girl.

So he and another friend, Chris Garcia, rode on area streets — Michelle Drive, St. Phillips Drive, Gable Park Road — looking for her.

That’s when a maroon car caught his eye. (He had gotten a bit ahead of Garcia.)

The car was on Gable Park and turned around when it got near the top of a hill toward Millersville Pike, where Boggs said several police officers were gathered with the kind of cart used to carry an injured football player off the field.

The driver, an older white man, then began quickly turning onto and out of side streets connecting to Gable Park, Boggs said.

The neighborhood is something of a maze; many of its streets are cul-de-sacs.

Boggs got close enough to the car to see a little girl inside. Garcia was nearby.

The driver looked at Boggs and Garcia, then stopped the car at Gable Park and Betz Farm Road and pushed the girl out of the car. The driver then drove off, Boggs said.

Police are still looking for the suspect:

Police are still looking for the alleged kidnapper. Cops described him as a white man, between 50 and 70 years old, who walks with a limp. The car was described as a red or maroon-purple Chevy.

The girl’s family calls Boggs a hero, but Boggs himself demurs:

Boggs, meanwhile, said he doesn’t consider himself a hero.

“I’m just a normal person who did a thing that anybody else would do,” he said.

Both Boggs and Garcia are heroes for getting involved and helping to rescue the little girl.  These days, it’s too easy to remain passive in the face of evil.  We are fortunate that we still have young men willing to step up and act in a responsible manner to protect their communities.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:48:06 PM by G M »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Unorganzied Militia: Citizens defend themselves/others.
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
Alert boy with initiative.  Respect.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
What a great idea!
« Reply #292 on: October 23, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/exclusive-westgate-interpol-chief-ponders-armed-citizenry/story?id=20637341

Exclusive: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Oct. 21, 2013

By JOSH MARGOLIN

Kenya Civilians who had been hiding during a gun battle hold their hands in the air as a precautionary measure before being searched by armed police leading them to safety, inside the Westgate Mall, Sept. 21, 2013.
Jonathan Kalan/AP Photo

Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said today the U.S. and the rest of the democratic world is at a security crossroads in the wake of last month's deadly al-Shabab attack at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya – and suggested an answer could be in arming civilians.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Noble said there are really only two choices for protecting open societies from attacks like the one on Westgate mall where so-called "soft targets" are hit: either create secure perimeters around the locations or allow civilians to carry their own guns to protect themselves.

"Societies have to think about how they're going to approach the problem," Noble said. "One is to say we want an armed citizenry; you can see the reason for that. Another is to say the enclaves are so secure that in order to get into the soft target you're going to have to pass through extraordinary security."

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
On that note, GM: did you see this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/world/africa/during-siege-at-kenyan-mall-government-forces-seemed-slow-to-respond.html?_r=0

From the article:

When the first shots of automatic gunfire burst out, Raju, a member of a local gun club, was waiting in line in a bank at the Westgate shopping mall. He crouched down, pulled out his phone and feverishly pecked out a text message: “I am inside and I can confirm this is not a robbery.”

Within minutes, his fellow gun club members, neighborhood watch volunteers, off-duty police officers and other armed Samaritans rushed to the mall. They found no command center, no SWAT team — in short, no coordinated government response as heavily armed Islamist militants shot civilians at will

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

Good info there. Thanks BD.

On that note, GM: did you see this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/world/africa/during-siege-at-kenyan-mall-government-forces-seemed-slow-to-respond.html?_r=0

From the article:

When the first shots of automatic gunfire burst out, Raju, a member of a local gun club, was waiting in line in a bank at the Westgate shopping mall. He crouched down, pulled out his phone and feverishly pecked out a text message: “I am inside and I can confirm this is not a robbery.”

Within minutes, his fellow gun club members, neighborhood watch volunteers, off-duty police officers and other armed Samaritans rushed to the mall. They found no command center, no SWAT team — in short, no coordinated government response as heavily armed Islamist militants shot civilians at will

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »
You are quite welcome, GM. Thanks for the first article.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile