Author Topic: Don't know where this goes but "The Keysi Fighting Method"  (Read 26843 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Don't know where this goes but "The Keysi Fighting Method"
« on: December 15, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Has anyone seen this stuff? Looks pretty cool but looks alot like Silat in some moves. Anyone know anything about it in the US? I thought I read there are no teachers out here.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
Re: Don't know where this goes but "The Keysi Fighting Method"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:25:51 AM »
I saw some videos on youtube and thought the same thing - repackaged silat/kali, some of the moves were maybe a little too Hollywood, but it gave me an idea or two.  The founders are calling it their "interpretation of JKD."  From what little I saw and read, I think Bruce would be happy with their effort.

The commentary on the HD DVD "Batman Begins" mentions KFM.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »
When I saw Batman begins, I thought it was Silat/ Kali stuff with just raw Batman street fighting but then I went to the opening of I am legend and they played the 6 min trailer for the new Dark Knight movie and he is beating some serious ass. I wanted to know what kinda Silat they used and not to mention Tom Crusie used the same stuff (what I thought was Silat) in Mission impossible 3. Anyways...So I dug and found out it was called "Keysi" more or less I thought it was BS and they just renamed Silat.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
Any URLs?

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
Here's the first one I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvi54YLYIC0&feature=related
Nothing wrong with it, though nothing particularly innovative. I guess the tiresomely predictable sound track and an endorsement from "Batman" kinda negated any positive feelings I had about their actual training ideas ..... OK, I liked the focus mitt stuff.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:54:54 PM »
Where did the system come from?

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »
It comes from a  English Guy and a Guy from Spain. But it is Silat/Kali plain as day except they totally throw their elbows out way to far for my taste and Roll a punch off the elbow instead of going for the destruction.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:47 PM »
The Wikipedia article on Keysi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keysi_Fighting_Method) states that the two guys who are developing Keysi (Justo Diéguez and Andy Norman) claim JKD through Inosanto.  I can't find any reference to them on Inosanto's site and I can't find any reference to Inosanto or JKD on the Keysi site.

Although it gives me headache to read their zenned-up BS about Keysi being an "amazing multi-dimensional journey into the world of self-discovery," repackaging/reinventing/rediscovering isn't a bad thing.  They're trying, I wish them luck.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
  • It's Only a flesh wound
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:35 AM »
The school I teach in on a Wednesday night is the KFM school in Glasgow

I've watched a couple of Classes while waiting to get on the mat, and also met one of the founders (Andy Norman) back when I was training with the UFA group in england. I won't pretend to know much about the system but it does seem to be a mainly a modified version of empty hand Kali/Silat. I've seen some ideas I like and some I dislike.

I'm not sure how close any link may be or to what degree the founders are authorised by him, but it's my understanding that there is also a link to Guro inosanto.

It's seems to be growing in the UK and in a lot of the MA press, but with the the batman angle you can see why. 

"Cos Beliefs, are just that. They're nothing, they're how your taught and raised. That doesn't make them real...
Everything you've learned is in fact just learned & not necessarily true"

Bill Hicks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
Andy and a couple of his English buddies while they were in town to train at the Inosanto Academy fought with Top Dog and me in the early 90s.  IIRC it was Andy (or Phil?) who became the UK champion in the TV show "The Gladiators" or something like that , , ,
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:09:14 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
  • It's Only a flesh wound
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
That would be Phil
"Cos Beliefs, are just that. They're nothing, they're how your taught and raised. That doesn't make them real...
Everything you've learned is in fact just learned & not necessarily true"

Bill Hicks

Claudio

• View Profile
    • Kali, Silat and Jeet Kune Do in Naples
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 09:30:24 AM »
Hi everybody
A couple of years ago I red an interview of Justo Dieguez (the founder) who talked about Inosanto in occasion of a seminar in Spain.
I remember both Dieguez and Norman are Guro Inosanto's students.
I like the approach, even sometimes elbows are too high.
I assume, and even from the movements, Keysi should come from a mix of Jkd, Kali and Silat.
Hard to get from what style of Silat they pick up stuff... something low from Harimau... but for what concerns the standing work.. I didn't recognize any Langka.
I wonder why they don't mention any of these arts in the KFM site, and also don't mention Guro Inosanto or the founder's curricula.

Bye
Claudio  :-)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:36:00 AM by Claudio »

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
That the one thing that bothers me about this. They dont seem to have one credit section about where they picked this stuff up from. Ah well.

Sun_Helmet

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Sayoc Kali
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »
When I saw Batman begins, I thought it was Silat/ Kali stuff with just raw Batman street fighting but then I went to the opening of I am legend and they played the 6 min trailer for the new Dark Knight movie and he is beating some serious ass. I wanted to know what kinda Silat they used and not to mention Tom Crusie used the same stuff (what I thought was Silat) in Mission impossible 3. Anyways...So I dug and found out it was called "Keysi" more or less I thought it was BS and they just renamed Silat.

The fight coordinator for the DARK KNIGHT, the next Batman film is Richard Ryan who did the fights in TROY. He is JKD, Wing Chun with some FMA thrown in here and there (possibly from Manong Inosanto). I do not know if he is associated with the Keysi guys who did BATMAN BEGINS.

--Rafael--

--Rafael--
"..awaken your consciousness of our past, already effaced from our memory, and to rectify what has been falsified and slandered."
Jose Rizal, from his 1889 essay, ' To The Filipinos '

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »
Maxx observed that
They don’t seem to have one credit section about where they picked this stuff up from

On the Keysi site, I found his answer,
KFM was born on the streets of Spanish gypsy origin [not born or reinvented in the "dojo"]

It is a completely original art with no linage (so they can hit people in ways no one has ever thought of)!!!
- Ron White

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
I found a longer promo video for Keysi.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1958414742547661012&q=keysi&total=48&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9

Their hype makes me crazy but it does have some fun looking ideas and, like maija said earlier, interesting mitt drills.
- Ron White

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 07:12:54 PM »
Someone on another forum said it best..Its fluff..A good Straight blast  would mess with the system.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »
Maxx said,

Its fluff .. A good Straight blast would mess with the system.

That is an interesting point.  Systems can get blind spots because the practitioners spend their time fighting each other.  The Keysi promos are coordinated and it looks good fighting itself (of course, we’re all brilliant when we get to ask and answer the questions).  "Fluffy"?  The videos are unforgivably Hollywood, but I wouldn't call it fluffy.

A Straight Blast?  From the video, Keysi fighters ... chew.  They paddle their way up the stream of strikes (I really like this).  A direct attack may feed their aggressive counter-attack rather than over-power it.  On the other hand, would they be overly vulnerable to an attack-by-draw?  Trigger their counter-attack frenzy, stay outside (but close), let them run out their cycle, and then Straight Blast (or whatever) when they are winding down rather than winding up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:14:06 PM by C-Dog Pound »
- Ron White

Black_Grass

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »
When I was at a Guro Dan seminar in the UK in 1998 Justo Diéguez received his apprentice instructorship from Guro Dan on the recommendation of Bob Breen.

Vince
aka Black Grass