Author Topic: DBMA Tactical:  (Read 7111 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Tactical:
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
DBMA Tactical Seminar: The Chupacabra Knife Game and Gun-Knife Integration

Featuring yours truly and a mystery gun instructor who must remain anonymous.

WHO: Military and LEO only, active or retired. If this is not you but you are well known to me and there are spaces available, you may be considered.

WHERE

Bay Area, CA.
 Day One: San Rafael (near San Quentin)
 Day Two: Private Gun Range in Point Reyes, Marin County.

HOW MUCH?
 $200 one day
 $300 two days

A first run "Akita" knife from Akita Tactical will be available for inspection.

If you are interested, please email me at craftydog@dogbrothers.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:59:46 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA Tactical: Gun Knife Integration Seminar November 11-12 Bay area, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
Marc:
I would like to compliment you on your recent developments in Close Quarter Combatives With the knife :
First, there is the "The Chupacabra", this is a specialized but very aggressive technique that I believe can be used by both Professionals and Civilians alike. I really like how it requires little training and is ready ”now” when you need it the most in a fight.
Second, there are the knives of your design.  I carry the larger version, the Akita, on my Battle Belt and the smaller version “The Shiba” in my EDC setup. Not only does the handle design, found on both knives, allow for ready access when the fight is already underway, it also makes for a secure grip in high adrenal circumstances.  No fear of sliding down onto the blade when a thrust hits something hard, even when the handle is slippery from blood.
Third, there is your integration of gun and knife for when the gun goes click instead of bang.  This gives a new meaning to a “secondary” weapon system. Not only does the transition to blade allow for ready and rapid lethality, it also enables returning to the gun to bring it back into battery without having to re-sheathe the knife back first. Not having to find the sheath and insert the knife without stabbing yourself during a firefight because you can return the gun to battery without having to re-sheathe the knife can be a real life saver!

Most all other techniques that I have seen tried in the past have this one fatal flaw, of having to take your eyes off the enemy when putting the knife back, yours takes care of that and I do believe the design of the knife itself is key to being able to do the correct and safe technique you taught.

I look forward to learning many more Knife and Stick Fighting techniques from you.

As you say, ”The adventure continues”.
Frankie McRae
Director of Training
910-556-9755 office
910-670-9236 cell
910-893-9887 proshop
www.raidontactics.com
www.37psr.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: DBMA Tactical:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »
Marc:

I wanted to let you know that since we have started working together I have learned a tremendous amount. More so with the adaptation of your fighting (deleted)stance and the flexibility it offers for my Gunfighter series. I have found that it allows for a more mobile base to a more reflexive stance that keeps the shooter from becoming too lazy and moving into a Weaver stance.  Indeed, I think it no less an innovation than the Weaver stance and no less deserving of its own name and hereby propose “the Crafty Dog Stance”. 

Why?

You know how I feel about a restrictive position. The Crafty Dog gives a more powerful position to the shooter to start from  and makes movement easier. It is better for recoil management in a rapid shooting engagement and allows smaller shooters and women to shoot bigger handguns without all the shoulder involvement. It allows for better follow thru and for sure makes recovery easier for faster shooting and quicker target engagement for follow on shots. I just taught a three day Gunfighter course and some of the students had attended a previous course. They loved the new addition and thought it was better adapted to shooting as well. One student said it was more comfortable for him to use the Crafty Dog than a regular Isosceles because it put less stress on his lower back with all the kit on. Anything that helps our backs with 60lbs of body armor and kit  has got to be better than the normal. I wanted to thank you again for the mentoring and the new techniques you have taught me. I hope one day to be able to reciprocate as much. Frankie Mcrae

Director of Training
Raidon Tactics Inc.
37 PSR Gunclub
910-670-9236 cell
910-774-9370 office
Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220

www.Raidon Tactics

Frank McRae
Director of Training
He is the former head of the US Army Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance Target Analysis and Exploitation Techniques Course (SFARTAETC) at Ft. Bragg N.C. He started his military career in the 1st Ranger Bn as an 11B infantryman. He served in the 1st Special Forces Group (ABN) Okinawa Japan, in Cco 1st Bn. 1st SFG(A) (C-1-1) where he was an assault team leader for F team,Troop 1 in the Combatant Commanders In-extremis Force (CIF) conducting operations in Operation Enduring Freedom. Advising, training and standing up the Light Reaction Company of the Armed Forces of the Phillipines (AFP). He was then assigned as an Instructor to the SFARTAETC at the Special Warfare Center and School in Ft. Bragg NC, was promoted and became the NCOIC of the course and awarded for having the highest graduation rate for the course in it's twenty year history . He also served as a Troop SGM Troop 1 and Team SGT ODA-354 in B co 2nd Bn 3rd SFG(A) CIF in IRAQ as an Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) Company SGM advisor and combat leader on many missions in Iraq and also attended the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Course as an exchange instructor.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DBMA Guro Antone Haley on the Tactical Games
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »
BTW Antone (Splinter Dog) is my right hand in DMBA on things pertaining to firearms.  The insight that began the gun-knife integration with our Akita/Shiba knives was his-- though I did change it, the starting insight was his.  I bring him with me when I train US Border Patrol at the Advanced Training Center in Harper's Ferry WV.

He is the 2x National Camp at Tactical Games.

Currently he sees a lot of street action in San Fran PD in the Tenderloin.

=================================================

Preparing for the Tactical Games
by DBMA Guro "Splinter Dog" Antone Haley

Some years ago I stumbled across an organization called the “Dog Brothers.” The group self identified as “a bunch of sweaty, smelly psychopaths with sticks” who followed the mantra of “higher consciousness through harder contact.” The group gathered at certain times throughout the year to fight one another. No rules, no weight classes, no referee. And they did it with weapons. As a life-long martial artist I couldn’t help but be intrigued...

Looking at it from the outside I thought what most people think when they see a Dog Brothers gathering for the first time; these guys are f@cking nuts! The more I observed the more I wondered; is that something I could do?

When you spend your entire life sharpening a sword it’s only natural to, at one point or another, ask yourself; how sharp is this sword really? I suppose that’s all it took. That curiosity alone propelled me to step out on the field and see what I could do. I had to see how sharp my sword was. And with that I too became a sweaty, smelly psychopath with a stick.

The lessons I learned during my 5 years of fighting in the Dog Brothers are simply invaluable. They support the very core of what I am. Looking back I think the transformation many experience during the gathers have much to do with the setting of the events, as well as the structure of the group. The Dog Brothers see themselves a a pack. They gather throughout the year not to compete, but to test one another in combat. The idea is to push but not to break the man in front of you, or yourself. In this way the tribe walks away from a gathering stronger than when it arrived. Each member taking with them valuable lessons learned in ritualized combat.

This idea is not a new one. For centuries warriors have come together to test their skills against one another. Ritualized combat, such as MMA and boxing, is central to the warriors ethos. It’s the method by which one can sharpen their sword with out paying the ultimate price for their efforts. Perhaps more than anything this path helped direct my actions through focused intention. I now had a reason to train hard. I had a reason to stay healthy. I had a reason to develop technique and disciple. It was now a necessity. I’d wager becoming a full Dog Brother was one of the the most difficult things I’ve ever done. It was a test physically, psychologically, and spiritually. When I walked away from it I had a much better perspective on just how sharp my sword was, and more importantly, was not.

As time passes life has a stubborn habit of following right along. Always looking for a new challenge I stumbled across an event called “The Tactical Games.” I think anyone that gives the event a serious analysis will quickly determine it is undoubtedly the most difficult shooting sports venue in the US. The Tactical Games combines incredibly difficult physical tasks with shooting under extreme duress. During a given event an elite-level competitor may be required to do 200 pound sand bag carries, 12 mile ruck runs, obstacle courses, 300 plus pound farmers carries, and engage targets out to 400 yards. In short, it’s a serious undertaking that requires a high degree of commitment and ability.

About this time I had been shooting recreationally for several years and considered myself a proficient shooter. But when I looked at The Tactical Games I couldn’t help but wonder, is that something I could do? Well.... here we go again...

I think more than anything I saw in The Tactical Games what I came to admire about the Dog Brothers; it connects to the deep tradition of the warriors ethos. Participants come from all walks of life to test themselves against one other. How sharp is this blade really? Step on the field and find out.

I think what people on the outside miss is the honesty of it. When you step out to test yourself, whatever the task may be, what you think is washed away and what you can do is acutely revealed. Excuses are often created but only serve to poison the process. The results bare the truth, however reassuring or disappointing they may be. With that, you can really only learn and move forward. Several podium finishes later and I am now the director of training for Tactical Games University. This position is one I arrived at through a process I learned some years ago in the Dog Brothers gatherings, and will undoubtedly apply to whatever it is I do next.

Being part of The Tactical Games I am often on the receiving end of a lot of questions. People want to know what gear they need? How strong do they need to be? How heavy a certain apparatus is? People want specific answers. They want makes, models, brands, and precise instruction, but it really isn’t all that simple, and in truth I am not sure how much of it really matters. In that, for anyone considering The Tactical Games as a possible mountain that they want to climb, I’ll offer the following three pieces of advice:

1. Come as you are with what you have: I won four straight matches in 2019 with some very substandard equipment. I built my own rifle using one of the least expensive barrels on the market, in my own garage, with parts purchased on ‘clearance.’ I also shot my department issued pistol which is about as far from a competition handgun as you can possibly get. My plate carrier was made by a company that produces air-soft gear, and my optic was loaned to me by a friend. It doesn’t take much to hit targets at 400 yards with a rifle. Pretty much any off-the-shelf gun will do it. The limiting factor is the shooter and what he can do under extreme duress. You can certainly blame the gun, but, in my experience, its only because your ego won’t accept the reality of the situation. The same goes for your physical condoning; if you wait until you feel “ready” you’ll never get there. Show up as you are with a positive attitude. The rest will take care of itself.

2. Be prepared to suffer: You will be competing in a match that is extremely difficult in every respect, and its going to hurt. It’s going to test you physically and mentally. By the end of the event you will discover that you are more than you thought, and that you can push harder than you had previously believed. Growth, unfortunately, only comes at great cost and you’ll be expected to pay for it.

3. Be grateful: If competing is even a possibility understand that you are very blessed. It means you’re a gun owner in a country that allows gun owners. It means you have the means to travel and to be away from your home and job for a few days. It means you have the courage to try something new. I fully understand that these things come as larger sacrifices by some than others, but the fact that its possible for you means that you’re very fortunate. If you can’t find a reason to be grateful the fault lies in you.

I’d imagine none of the above mentioned advice is what you came looking for when you started reading an article about The Tactical Games. The truth is the preponderance of technical information needed to be successful is tremendously extensive. The resources you need to step out on the field and see how sharp your sword is, however, are really pretty modest. So come as you are, prepare to suffer, and be grateful for the experience. We can work out the rest as you go.
For those looking for advice regarding movement preparation, the tasks you’ll encounter are really no secret. You are going to climb a rope, farmers carry, move sandbags, ruck with a backpack, run in full kit, pull a weighted sled, and likely lift a bar overhead and walk with it. There are always surprises that come up, but those are the core movements of most events. Everyone stresses about how much and how far. Remember my first piece of advice? Come as you are with what you have. It’s only as complicated as you decide to make it. You’ll never feel ready because you can’t be ready. Show up and be grateful for the weekend you spent sweating and making a lot of noise with a group of amazing people.

I guess the next question is where to start? I suggest you start by researching past events via pictures and video. Look at the tasks athletes are performing and expect to execute similar movements at similar intensities. Start with whatever you are the worst at and go from there. I always highly suggest professional coaching if it is an option. The Tactical Games has a training initiative called Tactical Games University which is a great place to learn. If that isn’t feasible most athletic coaches and trainers will be able to help you move safely and efficiently.

Descriptions of divisions and rules, as well as suggested physical and shooting standards, are listed at thetacticalgames.com. Keep in mind they are only suggestions. I don’t think I can do half of what is listed and I seem to do ok for myself.

Got a question? Feel free to email me! antone@thetacticalgames.com.

DBMA Guro Splinter Dog Antone Haley

==================================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOTMUakUXI