Author Topic: Movie Fights  (Read 83912 times)

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Fights
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:45 AM »
That looks awesome!!
Yip Man is a legend .... looking forward to seeing Donnie Yen do some Wing Chun!
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 07:13:08 AM »
It always amazes me in these hong kong action flicks the cops always are using REVOLVERS.
I love my revolvers...but 5-6shots in a .38spl doesn't compare to a glock or whatever with an extra magazine. I'm not sure if this is just for theatrics or that is their carry piece...a lot of movies the guns cyclinder opens and the rounds fall out adding to the suspense. If anyone knows i'd be curious on the Hong kong police carry? i haven't been to hong kong since 94.

here's more from Sha Po Lang(killzone) someone burned the entirety to youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBliuL1Z9w

Note the point in which he inserts the blade through the bicep then uses it as a control point and a trap/armdrag. This is an excellent technique in reverse grip...Southnarc uses it in his pikal work.

EDIT- in the movie the patrol officers had a full sized glock.

In 2004, the regular Hong Kong beat cop was still carrying k-frame Smith and Wesson 4 inch revolvers, at least the ones I saw were. I know the Hong Kong Police (formerly the Royal Hong Kong Police until 1997) version of SWAT had all the tools and toys you'd find with an American SWAT team, including semi-auto handguns. If I recall correctly, Glock had it's east asian branch based in HK, so it wouldn't be much of a leap to assume the HK cops were buying Glocks to replace the revolvers.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »

@peregrine

firearms are illegal in HK... so in theory, there are no guns in their society... i dont know how much of the movies is reality where all the bg's go around with automatics.... but revolvers are standard issue

--------------------------------------

l

The Triads do get ahold of many things that are illegal in HK, firearms included. More and more guns are making their way into the PRC proper. I recall reading about a big gunfight between several gangs in Shenzen.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
woof maija:

That looks awesome!!
Yip Man is a legend .... looking forward to seeing Donnie Yen do some Wing Chun!

yeah!

most of the emphasis is on Bruce Lee... cool to see Yip Man get his turn. also he was from a wealthy background to lose it all due to war and forced to work for a living... lots of human interest/drama there!

i didn't look hard on youtube, but i'm sure if it's not up already, it will be soon... the fight scenes that is.

woof G M:

thank you for the info/update!

"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
Anyone know when this will be available for U.S. viewing?

-Tony
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »
woof Tony:

if you have a Chinatown, i'm sure the video shops will have it.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
Unfortunately, Cincy doesn't. I guess I'll have to venture into the seedy world of EBAY! :evil:

I am open to other options that anyone might :-D have.

Thanks,

Tony
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

Doppelgangster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 11:13:11 PM »
My favorite movie fight scene is the Punisher vs the Russian- one of the few fight scenes that's gritty and brutal while still being kinda funny.
I also like all the fight scenes from "The Warriors" for some reason.

matinik

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
a bit of a sidebar here: variety just reported that spielberg is remaking Oldboy with will smith
in the lead :-o!
can't they leave well enough alone? they are about to ruin one of the coolest movies
that ever came out ANYWHERE. guess hollywood IS out of original ideas. accept no
subtitute, see the original!

matinik

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Black Dynamite
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
 ".........I AM smiling" !! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That looks brilliant :-)
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
I picked up
Ip Man(Yip Man)
cool movie, i'm not sure on the accuracy of this biopic.
There's a nice fight scene in a dojo with Yip Man(Donnie Yen) vs 9-10 japanese soldiers.
Other than that the fight scenes are pretty limited. This movie was choreographed and directed by Sammo Hung.
I've always liked the straight blast, just it's use must be timed like anything. Vitors boxing blast is a variation.

I still want to get Throwdown that judo movie....but I hae to order it via the web.

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
Woof everyone,

There have been so many very cool movies mentioned already, I just want to add Ong Bak and The protector as well as kill Bill Vol. 1. Uma thurman was pretty good in this. 
I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass and I'm all out of bubblegum

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »
I picked up
Ip Man(Yip Man)
There's a nice fight scene in a dojo with Yip Man(Donnie Yen) vs 9-10 japanese soldiers.
Other than that the fight scenes are pretty limited. This movie was choreographed and directed by Sammo Hung.
I've always liked the straight blast, just it's use must be timed like anything. Vitors boxing blast is a variation.

I still want to get Throwdown that judo movie....but I hae to order it via the web.

woof peregrine:

throwdown is good movie (not just cos it has a lot of judo in it, which it does). this was director Johnnie To's homage to Akira Kurosawa.

Donnie fought 10 japanese soldiers. the scene almost had the feel of tony jaa vs 50 guys in tom yum goong.

re:  accuracy, read that Yip Chun was the consultant on the film. that is good AND bad. there is room for exaggeration or embellishment.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
a bit of a sidebar here: variety just reported that spielberg is remaking Oldboy with will smith
in the lead :-o!
can't they leave well enough alone? they are about to ruin one of the coolest movies
that ever came out ANYWHERE. guess hollywood IS out of original ideas. accept no
subtitute, see the original!

matinik

slightly off topic, but yeah, hollywood has been remaking some asian movies for some time now:

the departed (leonardo dicaprio, jack nicholson, matt damon) / infernal affairs 1 (hong kong)
the eye (jessica alba) / the eye (thai/hong kong)
the ring (naomi watts) / ringu (japanese)
lake house (sandra bulloc, keanu reeves) / il mare (korean)

etc. some upcoming hollywood horror movies are remakes of asian horror movies.

one of the first planned remakes that came to my attention was richard gere's intention to make a hollywood version of john woo/chow yun-fat's the killer ages ago. thankfully that never happened  :-D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:07:17 AM by Stickgrappler »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:18 AM »
I picked up
Ip Man(Yip Man)

I was in Kaimuki the other day, watched a little because it was on the TV.  It kind of reminded me of the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury \ Chinese Connection. I decided I could wait a little while longer..

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2009, 05:47:50 AM »
I picked up
Ip Man(Yip Man)

I was in Kaimuki the other day, watched a little because it was on the TV.  It kind of reminded me of the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury \ Chinese Connection. I decided I could wait a little while longer..

to be fair to both movies, you must've only watched that scene where Donnie takes on 10 guys. the rest of the movie Ip Man is nothing like BL's FOF/CC.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
I picked up
Ip Man(Yip Man)

to be fair to both movies, you must've only watched that scene where Donnie takes on 10 guys. the rest of the movie Ip Man is nothing like BL's FOF/CC.

True, I watched that scene, browsed the store a little bit and then watched a little more I was intent on getting it but decided to buy something for my sons instead but Ill get it, eventually.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Denzel Washington
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
In the parking lot at the Inosanto Academy today Jeff Imada was working Denzel Washington with a machete in a fight against some 15-20 guys.  Denzel looked very good, very smooth, and of course Jeff's choreography was awesome.

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Denzel Washington
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »
In the parking lot at the Inosanto Academy today Jeff Imada was working Denzel Washington with a machete in a fight against some 15-20 guys.  Denzel looked very good, very smooth, and of course Jeff's choreography was awesome.

That sounds awesome.
I always like DW movies, but don't agree with his political sentiments.

I rememeber wayyyyy back getting my JI Balisong book in elementary. ew.

I always wanted a really good balisong knife, but only got those cheap $10one from the BlackBelt magazines.

nonkosherdog

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 02:46:15 AM »
The first few Steven Segal movies are what finally got me into a dojo and kept me there for six or seven years training in Aikikai Aikido.
I even found the Dog Brothers because of the SS stick fight scene in the bar (anybody seen ritchie ) - ended up purchasing every stick fighting video Panther Production had to offer  :lol:

Also any of the Tony Jaa fight scenes! Acrobatic almost to the point of absurd but his knee & elbow work .... mama mia

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
Anyone seen "Taken" yet? I just saw it. Worth seeing. My wife said it was good, as it gave her a better insight into me.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 01:28:36 PM »
WING CHUN KUEN ALERT!

lol

nicoholas cage in bangkok dangerous.... teaches his gofer some wck by way of a pak sao/knife drill and don & serng chi sao (single and double chi sao).

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
Denzel Washington's next movie is a spy thriller. Maybe that machete scene will be in the movie!

Glewis007

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
It will be ! Its a Robert Lundum book , I'm glad that Jeff Imada is training him for it. Get a hold of Chocolate wild fights but Ong Bak better movie.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »
That looks awesome!!

woof maija et al:

here are 3 animated gif's i made of wing chun chain punching. it's from the hong kong movie IP MAN starring donnie yen (spl, flashpoint, dragon tiger gate, iron monkey 2, blade 2, highlander 4, etc).  it looked cool and i was learning how to make animated gif's and i like donnie's movies.

enjoy!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:32:57 PM by Stickgrappler »

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
"How Bruce Lee changed the world" is a new documentary on History channel airing Sunday 5/17 8:00pm. Check your local listings.

Rare clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYT6XZRpEKo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efreestyleforum%2Enet%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D8763%2Emsg0&feature=player_embedded       
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »
Silat in the movies   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtkLFm3QrmA

Enjoy,
Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
woof Tony Torre:

yeah Merantau looks very cool. cannot wait to see it.

-------------

woof all:

in time, i will make more and add more knife scenes from movies... i only had time to make these 2 from nicholas cage's BANGKOK DANGEROUS

want to put up something from tommy lee jones/benicio del toro HUNTED

~sg

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
Here's an oldie but goodie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVfNGWK3ko

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Karunamama

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »
From "Never Back Down".  I haven't seen the movie, but I thought this scene was hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnaUojQKbg

The final fight scene in the movie looks pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Q3HCR5CmE&feature=PlayList&p=CE5742332F27BA93&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Dog Howie

• Power User
  • Unexpected Anomolies
    • View Profile
    • My Duncan RiZe MySpace page
Re: Movie Fights - The Last Airbender 2010
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »
I happened to be the on the set of the M.Night Shyamalan "The Last Airbender" that is filming now for a 2010 release during shooting one of the main battle scenes. I had never seen anything like this before... at least 150+ trained guys doing these incredibly choreographed fights... same thing, over and over and over again so they could get different angles. What's amazing is that there were hardly any injuries. (Amid weapons and stunt guys being flown into the air with cables.) The parts I saw took weeks of longggggg days and, I swear, it couldn't have represented more than 2-4 minutes in the movie. The skill level was amazing. The guys who choreograph this stuff are really amazingly skilled... I just learned a great appreciation for the art of movie making (staging fight sequences). BTW, the set was in an old airplane hanger at the Philadelphia Navy Yard... the biggest soundstage in the world according to Paramount... the set itself (the water tribe compound) was like 4 stories high and a football field long.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Fights - The Last Airbender 2010
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »
I happened to be the on the set of the M.Night Shyamalan "The Last Airbender" that is filming now for a 2010 release during shooting one of the main battle scenes. I had never seen anything like this before... at least 150+ trained guys doing these incredibly choreographed fights... same thing, over and over and over again so they could get different angles. What's amazing is that there were hardly any injuries. (Amid weapons and stunt guys being flown into the air with cables.) The parts I saw took weeks of longggggg days and, I swear, it couldn't have represented more than 2-4 minutes in the movie. The skill level was amazing. The guys who choreograph this stuff are really amazingly skilled... I just learned a great appreciation for the art of movie making (staging fight sequences). BTW, the set was in an old airplane hanger at the Philadelphia Navy Yard... the biggest soundstage in the world according to Paramount... the set itself (the water tribe compound) was like 4 stories high and a football field long.

woof hmandel,

wow, cool... will be on the lookout for tis one then!

-----------------------

ttt for matinik also

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
How to write a fight scene
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 10:24:23 AM »