Author Topic: Working out While Sick??  (Read 15107 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Working out While Sick??
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
I read on WebMd that you can work out while you have the common cold...Anyone know if this is true or haga?  :?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Working out While Sick??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »
I suspect training partners might not appreciate it , , ,

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »
Zicam, that's all i have to say . . .

SB_Mig

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
Why workout?

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »
haha.
i've been sick since Thanksgiving, first walking pneumonia then the chicken poxs. I worked out with the walking pneumonia for weeks albeit many coughing fits, then i finally went to the doctor who got my lungs cleared up with antibiotics then i caught the chicken poxs. I am lying low till i am cleared by my doctor. Just practicing little things like draws and dry fire between sleeping.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
What are draws and dry fire??

I worked out last night for 20mins at my home gym and I actually felt alot better

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
What are draws and dry fire??

I worked out last night for 20mins at my home gym and I actually felt alot better

Draw weapon(knife or pistol) from cover
Dry fire- bring empty weapon to bear, aim, click.

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
Peregrine, your drawing and dry firing made me think of knife throwing from a draw.
Maestro Umpad said for a while he used to throw a knife at a target the first thing when he awoke every morning, to focus his mind. It might fit nicely with recovery sleeping..... If you are worried about damaging things in the house when you miss, just sharpen up some kebab sticks or skewers....
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
Thanks for posting these, Maija.  It's enjoyable to see younger versions of M. Umpad and Ken, especially since he hemmed his killer dreadlocks.  I'm looking forward to seeing you and a younger Victor Damian.
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

capmarine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
you can workout except if you have a fever.

Mad Scientist

• View Profile
    • Wandering Warrior Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »
I'll take it easy for a little when I'm sick, but I can't veg out or else I just turn into a pile.  I think it's a great idea to work out even a tiny bit, but I don't want to over do it, because then I turn into a sick pile.  It's a balance, and it depends what you are sick with.  It's very important to circulate that lymph though and to get the crap out of your lungs, and to fire up the metabolism a little.  And then after a workout I charge back up with food, water and sleep.  I think sleep is massively underrated.  Last year I was relieved of much responsibility in grad school so I got that 8 hours I always heard about - I became a different person.  It's amazing what paying off your sleep debt will do for you physically and mentally.  Anyway, off topic. 
-Why don't sharks attack clowns?
-Because they taste funny.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »
Off topic about sleep is not to off topic..Sleep does help you out ALOT. My cold lasted for about 2 days and I saturated my system with Tea , Bad Spelling , Vitimin C and Sleep..I must have drank to myself about a couple gallons of green tea in one day alone AND Arizona Icetea makes a tea called Herbel RX and its filled with Vitimins and I drank about 4 of those each day ..Would sleep then get up and eat more pills then eat..And it worked..The 3rd day I got bored with being sick..Told myself I was not sick anymore and then worked out for a hour..Then next day I was fine..I just had this lame cough that went away in about 2 days after that.

Mad Scientist

• View Profile
    • Wandering Warrior Martial Arts
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »
Off topic about sleep is not to off topic..Sleep does help you out ALOT. My cold lasted for about 2 days and I saturated my system with Tea , Bad Spelling , Vitimin C and Sleep..I must have drank to myself about a couple gallons of green tea in one day alone AND Arizona Icetea makes a tea called Herbel RX and its filled with Vitimins and I drank about 4 of those each day ..Would sleep then get up and eat more pills then eat..And it worked..The 3rd day I got bored with being sick..Told myself I was not sick anymore and then worked out for a hour..Then next day I was fine..I just had this lame cough that went away in about 2 days after that.

What is bad spelling... you mean rilly awefil spelling or just trimendusley bad?  or .... ?
-Why don't sharks attack clowns?
-Because they taste funny.