Author Topic: DB Gathering of the Pack August 10th, 2008  (Read 141442 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DB Gathering of the Pack August 10th, 2008
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »
Woof All:

For reasons I will explain more fully shortly, the next Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack will be held on August 10, 2008 at a location yet to be determined.

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog
Guiding Force

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DB Gathering of the Pack August 10th, 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »
When I can sign up!?
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »
We hope to have our webmaster take care of it this week.

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »
only the one Gathering this year?. . .  should draw quite the crowd and only the finest warriors from all corners of the wind

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »
Random question here..I notice that all of the dog brother fights are with a weapon..What about just going at it weaponless against each other and rolling empty hand? Have you guys done this before?

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »
Random question here..I notice that all of the dog brother fights are with a weapon..What about just going at it weaponless against each other and rolling empty hand? Have you guys done this before?

Im game!  I do that with my guys and love to toss a knife or stick into mix at random (imagine a knife falling out of your opponents pocket in the middle of a fight).  Also, if the fight goes to the ground for more than 60 sec's (unless we are training that area) I send in another person.  Think of comming out of the bathroom at a bar and seeing your buddy struggling on the ground, time to jump in. 

We can stick to the Roots of DB's and still have this element (IMHO). 

Keeping it progressive always. 

8-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
Cause I know most of the fights I have been in there has never been a stick or a knife..Just two guys making each other have a puffy face...

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »

And this happens in the Gathering fights,often after the first few seconds.  The issue is that there are tons of venues for weaponless fighting, so why drag down the premier weapons fighting event ?
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »

And this happens in the Gathering fights,often after the first few seconds.  The issue is that there are tons of venues for weaponless fighting, so why drag down the premier weapons fighting event ?

Well put Brother...  This is the Premier Weapons Fighting Event! 
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
So am i missing something here?
Is november CANCELLED?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:39:31 PM by peregrine »

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »

Fine....It's a weapons event..I'm bringing a 40 mm Mark 19 Mod 3 Grenade MG  :-D  :mrgreen: :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
Nah, you must be thinking of the ballistic weapons event that is being held in Diyala, Iraq.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »
Maxx, My suggestion to you is to come to a Gathering, experience its magic, watch the fighters/fights ( IMHO some of the best martial artists the world has to offer) as far as fighters that is.

Even then I'am doubtful you can truley understand, what this means to the guys and gals that fight at the gathering and the Brotherhood that is dog Brothers.
Bear in mind guys come from all over the world at their own expense not to win awards, trophys, or money, but to test themselves in a place like no other.
The prize is knowing that you can stand in the fire and come out on the other side.  There's nothing like it. (my definition of warrior)

Not onley that but the tribe is truley a tribe, its not us against them but brother pushing brother to the ragged edges.
Dangerous, brutal yes....but its also a very spiritualy, beautiful thing......I could sit here and try to type it into words, but words would fall way short.
To fully understand it has to be experienced.
It is my priviledge to be a tribe member and to gather with the pack.
                                                                                Dog TG
Howling Dog

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »
Dog Tom,

What a great post! All I have to add is that the post-Gathering state of being is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.  Aside from a great shot on the elbow from Poi Dog and a good knee to the ribs from Pappy, most of the injuries I have sustained at the Gatherings have gone unnoticed until I arrived home and fired up that post-Gathering shower.  This is not to say that I have not been hit hard by many of the other amazing warriors that I have fought with but the high that I experience every time I fight in a Gathering makes it all seem not so bad and VERY, VERY worth it. There's NOTHING like it. 

If you are even thinking of fighting, you should do it.  Take a knife fight to warm-up and then take a stick fight and see what happens. The Gathering is a lab space, not the Olympics. I have "been killed", "killed", looked really bad and gotten beat up, and also managed to pull a few cool things off. I'm willing to "die", tap, "kill", get hit, or hit you as many times as I need to in order to facilitate my growth and to see the tribe grow as a whole. I've written this before: Let's step out there and  hurt each other a little bit. :-)
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

strawdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »
See you there! 
Proud member of the pack... one day I will be officially strawdog.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
This weekend is something rather big; we will be turning our attention to this in the next few weeks. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Attention Women Fighters
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
Woof All:

I need to confirm with Linda "Bitch" Matsumi, but my understanding is that she is available for fighting with Ashley _____ of Manassas VA.  Ashley is an excellent athlete and I look forward to some outstanding fights between the two of them. 

I post here so that other women know that there are fights for them to be had at this Gathering.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog
GF

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »
add one more to the women's list. Gina's game . . .

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »
Woof Crafty

I liked the small format change in the last November's Gathering, where Linda could knife fight throughout the day.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
I would like to request a 2 on 2 or even 2 on 3 fight.  No preset weapons...  OTF (on the fly) 

I really enjoyed the spontinuity of the Secret Gathering Weapons of Opportunity employment.

Any takers?

:mrgreen:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
can anyone sudgest any places in the area  where i can crash, hotels ect?
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
I will be there, hopefully with two folks who have been participating in my training group.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone!

herrero, once the location is named, we'll get some suggestions out there for you on where to stay!
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 01:03:35 PM »
Woof, Booked my flight today. Brining in two first time fighters and a couple of fans :-D.

Hope the gathering will be some place close to Hermosa beach.
Ive grown quite fond of the place.......

Look forward to seeing all of you that I know already, and all who I will meet for the first time.......
How about sounding off if you plan to be there....
                                                Dog SB
Howling Dog

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »
Dog Dean
I would like to request a 2 on 2 or even 2 on 3 fight.

Jumping right into the deep end on that one.  How about 2 on 3 double stick?
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but would the area be big enough for 5 people to be swinging doublestick without clocking your "partner?"
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
thanks guide dog
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
Dog Dean
I would like to request a 2 on 2 or even 2 on 3 fight.

Jumping right into the deep end on that one.  How about 2 on 3 double stick?

Sure but I would like more of a brawl with mixed weapons.  All those double sticks just doesnt leave much variety...  but Im game.

HMmm, try this image;  2 on 3...  double stick/single stick and shock knife   ///   staff/double stick/shock knife

Now that would be fun.... 

Im in for any of the above...  driving the truck up this time...   and this is after our Kaju gathering so nothing lined up after this event = time to lick my wounds and reflect.

"Shadows and Dust"   8-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
In multiple player knife fights attacks from behind are a staple.

How do you think to handle this with sticks or other weapons?

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
In multiple player knife fights attacks from behind are a staple.

How do you think to handle this with sticks or other weapons?

Good question Sir  8-)

One thats answer is easier imagined than accomplished  :-D

A simple idea is to work more of a zone defense.  As my teacher loves to say, "Be like the spider to the fly".

My objective/goal (other than survival) is to feel the two packs (teams, back buddies, etc.) work together in order to survive.  I would like to hear communication and see stratagies at play with changing variables throughout the encounter.

Trust in your fellow DB to have your back and trust in his heart/will to win.

*I would like to call on Junk Yard Dog (aka Greg) to have my back...  He is courageous and full of heart (IMHO). 

If not him, then anyone of the other Warriors from the 20th Gathering. 

Woof 8-) :-)

We will battle with the Brother at your side, at any given moment.  We dont always have the luxury of choosing who we have next to us when the crap hits the fan. 

I hope to battle side by side with all of the Pack at some time or another.  It is my honor to do so.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:00:00 AM by "Dog" Dean »
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
A two on two or three double stick fight sounds to me like a WHOLE LOT of pain.
As for the attacks from behind goes.........Guro Crafty are you asking this from a safety stand point or a tactical one?
I think it in evitable that someone would get behind their opponent....... From a safety stand point, I would hope that the fighters would not take a cheap shot(goes without saying).

I have'nt had the guts yet to fight double stick 1-1.......but if a 2-2 or 2-3 double stick fight can be worked out... :cry: :|.....I MIGHT....emphisis on MIGHT...be intrested. Besides this is Dog Brothers......lets prove it!!! 8-) :evil:
Like I said sounds like a whole lot of PAIN. :wink: :|
                                                           Dog TG
Howling Dog

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
As for the attacks from behind goes.........Guro Crafty are you asking this from a safety stand point or a tactical one?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this was a safety concern question that Guro posed. The chance of an injury from a stick or staff to an opponent facing the other direction has the potential to be pretty severe. In this regard IMHO a fight of this caliber is best left to members of the tribe who understand what Dog Brothers really is about and who know what is and what is not a cheap shot as you mentioned Tom. Care would need to be taken to avoid the exposed head, neck and knees to be sure. I think it can be done though. I would be game for this but to be honest the staff part makes me pause as I'm not sure I like the idea of not having my full attention on a properly wielded staff. Yikes... (Unless I can bring the .38)  :lol:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »
I have strong safety concerns here.

People will be whirling and even with good DB spirit, excrement happens.  At the Temecula Gathering we had someone hit in the back of the neck during the middle of a spin.  The fighter dropped instantly (and with my him, my heart), but fortunately the impact was not directly on the spine. 

Here the a primary intention precisely is to achieve attacking from behind.  Even a partial rotation that is unanticipated by the attacker could result in an unintended strike to the spine. 

Also quite possible is a strike to the kidney.  Yes I know we have liver and spleen shots in fighting sometimes, but these seem to me to be of a lesser order because they are seen and usually with punches or knees.  An unseen stick shot to the kidney seems to me of much greater order than these.  We had a stick shot to the kidney once on a man who turned to pick up a dropped stick and it dropped him hard.  IIRC he was peeing blood for a few days.  It may appear on one of the "Stickfighting is dangerous!" warnings on the beginnings of our DVDs.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
NO GUNS THIS TIME SCURVY!  I almost died last time you pulled one out . . . laughing that is.  :-D  "He's a Scurvey Dog!"
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »
I have strong safety concerns here.

People will be whirling and even with good DB spirit, excrement happens.  At the Temecula Gathering we had someone hit in the back of the neck during the middle of a spin.  The fighter dropped instantly (and with my him, my heart), but fortunately the impact was not directly on the spine. 

Here the a primary intention precisely is to achieve attacking from behind.  Even a partial rotation that is unanticipated by the attacker could result in an unintended strike to the spine. 

Also quite possible is a strike to the kidney.  Yes I know we have liver and spleen shots in fighting sometimes, but these seem to me to be of a lesser order because they are seen and usually with punches or knees.  An unseen stick shot to the kidney seems to me of much greater order than these.  We had a stick shot to the kidney once on a man who turned to pick up a dropped stick and it dropped him hard.  IIRC he was peeing blood for a few days.  It may appear on one of the "Stickfighting is dangerous!" warnings on the beginnings of our DVDs.

Understood repsectfully Guro,

I respectfully retract my request.  With the intent that was posted within the following replies, I can see where this would be better set for a more controlled scenario or instructional practice lesson, not a full blown DB's "...Harder Contact" (Open to public)  Gathering.

Thanks all for your replies.  Back on track...

Lets hear it fighters, sound off if your comming in Aug. 

My Brothers Keepers...   Woof  8-)

V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »
I do hope that we will have various multiple player fights with knife!

Perhaps two unarmed vs one Shocknife?

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:50 AM »
I was really looking forward to being a spectator for the 2 on 2 siniwali fight!   :-D  In all seriousness, I can understand, Crafty's concerns.  You would have to have the right mix of folks, and even then it would be hard to avoid an accidental...something.  However, I admire everyone's willingness to jump in and commit to something like that!

I realized that I was not being clear above: I have two folks from my training group who will be fighting for the first time.  One of them would be a good fight for "Dog" Ryan, not to call you out Ryan.  I am supposed to fight this fellow as well, for his first stickfight, which I find a little difficult.  I am taking steps to see that he is prepared for his first Gathering.  I have been showing him some of my favorite things to work on for a Gathering.  However, because I am going to fight him, I am not showing him everything.  :wink:

P.S. Scurvy, I too really enjoyed your gunplay at the R 2 the R.  Also, since you are so close, I need to get in touch with you and maybe you can come work with my group in the next few weeks, so they don't have to listen to me all of the time.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
the 2 on 2 siniwali is great to try out amongst friends with action flex type sticks. they are great for working on group encounters.

Matt Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »
Imogen: 'Are you fighting at the August Gathering?'

Matt: 'Dunno, Should I?' 

Imogen: 'Why would'nt you?

Matt: 'Can I? 

Imogen: 'Of course you can!

Matt: 'OK, Gulp!!!!' 

Imogen = Good Chatter

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
Guide Dog, I'm in!  Now I'll ask, . .why a good fight?  I'm still not 100% for August but if things play out right I'll be able to make it.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
Ryan,

The fighter I want to get you in there with will be doing his first stickfight with me.  After that, I want to get him in there with some good folks who I know get the DB spirit who will give him good, honest energy.  Also, I think you two are pretty evenly matched in weight (he's shorter than you, but he's in very good shape) and my guy enjoys grappling.  He also knows who you are (DB promo piece and these boards) and I really think you could be good for him later in the day.  I know that you have specific things that you work on in your fights, and I don't want to book your day, especially because your involvement involves a plane ride, but I would be happy if it works out.

Bryan
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
Sounds like a plan!  If not this August, next time I'm out.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Location, location, location
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
Woof All:

In today's episode of "As the Stick Twirls" we learned that we do not have a place for the Gathering yet.  :-o :-o :-P  Any ideas, suggestions, offers?

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
Re: Location, location, location
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Woof All:

In today's episode of "As the Stick Twirls" we learned that we do not have a place for the Gathering yet.  :-o :-o :-P  Any ideas, suggestions, offers?

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog

Hmmmm...  Got a few - I'll email you Crafty. :mrgreen: :evil:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 03:54:25 AM »
Woof Dog Dean:

You have email.

All:

I should mention that it needs to be in the LA area.

TAC,
CD

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
Guro,

As suggested on the members forum, is Acu Canyon Park out of the question for a public Gathering?
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
"don't water down a good drink."

I think that having a gathering at the park might down play the importance of the 20th anniversary. 
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
If that is the general feeling, that seems reasonable to me.  The hunt is still on!
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
At the moment, our prime hope is what Pappy Dog can find.  I hope to speak with him today.

kumurick

• View Profile
    • The Pit - Malibu Martial Arts & Fitness
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »
I have to say that I had confused the dates and was affraid I was going to have a conflict with being able to make the gathering.
It's Grandmaster Cacoy Canete's 89th Birthday that weekend and he's doing a seminar that 8th & 9th at The House Of Champions.
In checking in here, I'm so relieved that this will be immediately following - A two day seminar with Grandmaster will be a nice tune-up for the gathering...

For anyone interested in the seminar, you can find out more about it here:
http://www.houseofchampions.com/events.html

Guro Crafty, I wonder if you've ever been to HOC and/or whether it would be a consideration for the gathering.
I'd be obliged to do whatever I can to facilitate this if so needed - just let me know.

Kumu Rick

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
Kumu Rick:

What an interesting idea!   I will ask Pappy Dog to get in touch with you and check the place out while I am on the road.

CD