Author Topic: *Mark "Animal" Macyoung - Good/ Bad or just full of his own BS?  (Read 31505 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
*Mark "Animal" Macyoung - Good/ Bad or just full of his own BS?
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
I would like to know (If Any know who he is) What you think about his advice and Theory....I have my mixed thoughts about him. One..I have come to find out alot of what he talks about is BS and even some of his encounters are made up. But I was wondering what you all thought about him.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:53:41 AM by Maxx »

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: *Mark "Animal" Macyoung
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Here is a article he did

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html#knifers

A quote from him
" There are many so-called "experts" who claim to be able to teach you either knife fighting or defense against a knife. The problem is that most of them are just teaching regurgitated martial arts, usually from the Philippines. While I have lots of respect for the martial arts of other lands, the truth is that you live where you do. Odds are you are not in a "knife culture."

And Another Quote from him

" Lie #15 The FMA are the ultimate knife fighting systems
Let me lay it out on the line here. When it comes to knife fighting, they are all fucking dangerous.

There is no "sun source" of knife fighting. There is no land of ultimate knife fighting arts. There is no race who hold the monopoly on the "right way" to use a knife. As I said, I have traveled around the world and seen knife fighting systems from even more places and what I will tell you is that each of them will make you just as dead, just as quick.

What I will be the absolute first to admit is that the FMA have done wonders for organizing and explaining the ideas behind how they do what they do. And for that I take my hat off to them. And I salute and respect the skill and prowess of their eskrimadors, kali gurus and arnis masters. But I draw the line at even sitting quietly when someone tries to elevate one group of fighting skills above all others so they can swagger around saying that they study the ultimate "knife fighting" system. This above my immediate gag reflex when someone -- who has never faced a knife in the hands of someone who wishes him ill -- swaggers around and tells me that he knows everything there is to know about knife fighting because he studies under (fill in the blank).

There is no right way, one way or only way to use a knife...and the more you know about all the different ways the more likely you are to be able to come up with an effective counter if you are attacked in one of those ways. But if you have only studied one system, the odds are against you being able to come up with something that works. And I have to tell you, although Western practitioners like to claim that the FMAs do, those arts don't cover all the ways a knife can be used on you. There is literally a world full of differences out there.

I have said it before and I will say it again: *Nobody* has a monopoly on the truth about knife fighting. The whole of the subject is just too big. Everybody has a slice of the pie. And learning what they have to say about it and how they do it where they are from is the best way for you to increase you chances of survival.

And another link to another article on his page called Lies about knife fighting.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:52:01 AM by Maxx »

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
Re: *Mark "Animal" Macyoung - Good/ Bad or just full of his own BS?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
Everyone isn't for everyone.  I have seen a little of his stuff.  He seems to have a following, I'm just not one of them.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:02 AM »
I like the guys books, funny entertaining reads.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Two favorites i am reminded of are
woofing
apeshate

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
I like the guys books, funny entertaining reads.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Two favorites i am reminded of are
woofing
apeshate
I'm with you.  I particularly like the term "giving him the hairy eyeball".

Aloha
Who dares wins - British SAS

Zooligan

• View Profile
Re: *Mark "Animal" Macyoung
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »

And another link to another article on his page called Lies about knife fighting.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

I think Marc M's views line up pretty well with Marc D's views as presented in the Die Less Often DVDs.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:59:02 AM »
Some of his views are good and others just seem to rag on everything he does not see eye to eye with. I have read some if not all of his books but he reminds me of this guy I know who has the attitude of " I know better, You dont know squat and I will beat your ass"

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
I have a couple of his books and was pretty dissapointed. Just seemed to be ridiculous war stories and some karate thrown together in a hap hazard style.
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
ridiculous war stories and some karate thrown together in a hap hazard style.

lmfao! Ok...Those words were taking right out of my mouth.

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
I used to be on the Animal List. Most all of us quit. Marc HAS to win an argument, so guys like myself, Steve Perry (the author) and Silat Master Tristan Sutrisno quit. It just got old.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
Tom - What is this Animal list and another question..Is anything of his Amazing 5'3 acts of warfare that he speaks of even real..? He said he rode with a biker gang in Colorado. The biker gang he speaks of for one does not even exsit in colorado..How do I know this? My father is in a Bike Gang called the High Plains Drifters in Colorado and I asked him about this Mystical bike gang and a nortorius unbeatable street fighter who was Names Marc "Animal" Macyoung and he said he never once heard of that gang or that man and on that...The Drifters run from the Plains in Colorado all the way to eagles top in New Mexico. So I think he would atleast heard of this gang..Ya know?

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
The Animal List is an email list. Kind of like extended family. I have a statement by Guru Tristan on why he quit on my laptop. No need to publish it since it was on a Silat Mailing List. He was not happy with things to say the least. BTW Tristan Sutrisno is one of the highest/most seasoned instructors I know of. He is 57, Silat with his Uncle Pak Lek since the age of 5. Japanese Arts with his Father since the age of 5. (Shotokan, Iai-jutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu). His Father's instructor, was GICHIN FUNAKOSHI. 52 Years of study. He was an Airborne Ranger, Highly Decorated in Viet Nam. Military Contractor, Concert Security Team Supervisor, and a bit of bouncing and other Hi-jinx since then. My instructor, Bruno Cruicchi is a student of Tristan's and Bruno has been in the arts 45 years. Stevan Plinck is also an acquaintence of Guru Tristan. He just stays slightly below the radar. I have been trying to hook Cliff Stewart up with Guru Tristan for a while. Bruno got Tuhon Tom Kier up to a training camp in the Poconos one year as well. Really a good man who I hope to train with sometime. Salt of the earth.