Author Topic: New to the DBMA Forum  (Read 6144 times)

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
New to the DBMA Forum
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »
Hi Gents,

Another new guy here. Many of you I know from warriortalk and other forums, and I see many familiar names here. I have been meaning to stop by here for a while.

A little about me: I am a Deputy Sheriff for a fairly rural county in TN, and have been in law enforcement and security work for over 2 decades (that means I'm old!). I started training in martial arts when I was about 12, starting with Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Isshin-Ryu, etc. In the police academy in 1986, we received a lot of defensive tactics training, and I went on to become a DT instructor at my old department, and spent many years on SWAT.  I also trained for several years in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and Krav Maga. Most recently, I have been training in WWII combatives on my own, and with a local instructor who has a strong background in Judo, Silat and Panantukan. I have attended seminars in AMOK from Tom Sotis, and a couple with Crafty at the Warrior Talk Symposium. I wish I lived close enough for much more training with Crafty, and hope to in the future. I also have taken several gun and knife classes from Gabe Suarez.

It's great to be here, and I look forward to learning and talking with everyone.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

oldboy

• View Profile
Re: New to the DBMA Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
Hi there !

May I ask what were your experiences with the AMOK! training ? There is a training group in reasonable distance from me and I was always wondering about it.

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi there !

May I ask what were your experiences with the AMOK! training ? There is a training group in reasonable distance from me and I was always wondering about it.

AMOK is awesome. I wish that I had a group close to me where I could train on a regular basis. It is Fillipino based, without all of the flow drills and other things prevalent in FMA. Very practical, hard-core knife training that is second to none, IMO. I have more training scheduled in the near future, and will go as often as I can get there.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »
Greetings Michael  :-D  Swat huh? That was something I wanted to do when I got out of the Military but as of right now I am waiting to go into Corrections officer bit. Anyways. Again, Welcome!

oldboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
http://www.amok.co.za/

Me thinks I will check it out then. Sounds awesome.

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, gents!