Author Topic: Judo = Hurts  (Read 12402 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Judo = Hurts
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
I rolled with Judoka  today and my god..Their throws F*$#en HURT .. I thought I was gonna walk all of them on the ground. I had zero clue they pretty much did the same if not the same stuff we do in Bjj...And in Bjj I was never taught any of these brutal throws..And these throws were not done to me just letting them do it to me..We were fighting..And I gave   100% resistance and I think that made it WORSE.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:36:25 PM by Maxx »

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Judo = Hurts
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
This guy was VERY highly skilled and totally worth checking out.
His throws are amazing for sure, but just as impressive are they ways he avoids being thrown.
Mifune sensei:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CUne9Xg55og
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
No joke..These Guys I was fighting were awesome. They were excellent in going from a clinch right into a throw on a 100% resisting opponent and then going into locks and chokes fast..

Here is a awesome video of some of the stuff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4u41omoNO4U

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »
there really is no difference between Judo and BJJ. classic japanese jiu jitsu spawned Judo. but being that it was a refined SPORT, older students of Judo often reverted back to the more martial Jiu Jitsu. so when Judo was at the end of the their world tour for promoting the sport, the top Judoka settled in Brazil and taught the Gracie family "jiu jitsu." the rest is history . . .

there's a long standing feud, or discussion . . . which is better Judo or Jiu Jitsu?

well... we could argue the chicken or the egg story forever. Judo is more stand up, and explosive . . . an international Olympic sport, as was its intention by Professor Jigoro Kano. everybody likes a good takedown or monster throw. BJJ is refined mat work. a little more macho and aggressive like the Brazilians themselves. you see similarities in both sports because they are eachother. is sambo any different? not really. what about pancrase? that's an even older sport. any similarities to judo - jiu jitsu, of course. what about roman greco wrestling?

so if you've never had the opportunity to learn Judo, just think of the transition from stand up to ground work. nobody wants to go to the ground, so take your opponent there first. strike, when they clinch, throw. now that they're on their back, choke and lock.
you might want to check out Goltz Judo in Claremont. they're fairly close to you. and there's is a competition style dojo in West Covina, i have to ask my buddy for the name.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
These guys were from Goltz gym and I got to be honest..I thought their Mat skills were pretty much the same. They did all the same Arm bars, Leg Locks, Chokes but they had one thing Bjj does not have....Brutal Take downs.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
Question...I took a hip throw and I am still learning how to fall and I fell BAD tonight. Does anyone know if Elbow pads will help take some of the bang out of falling on my elbows? That Sh$! hurt really really bad.

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
missed your call Maxx, have a ton of patients.

you should always start your workouts with UKEMI (the art of falling)drills. roll falls, somersaults, cart wheels, slap the mat from all elevations. slap with an open palm, forearm to fingers. never try to brace your fall , you'll just end up breaking your wrist or dislocating your elbow. most injuries occur by trying to stop an already moving object (you, for instance). the idea is to address an already disadvantaged position and transition to a better vantage point while reducing the risk of injury or to lessen the impact all together.

check this out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QBpFyXUeToE

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »
Hey man..Thank for the responce..But it felt like I didnt even have a option to slap the mat..Like my elbow just got banged..Thats why I was asking about elbow pads and if they help stop the bang.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »
Woof Maxx

Rio knows. 

Elbow pads are a bad idea.  Landing on your elbows is a natural reaction (aka bad habit) in the fall and you need to train out of it before you get hurt.  Most judo clubs won't let new guys do anything until they learn how to fall.

Once you learn to fall, it happens without thought. 
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »
Well, Last night I wrapped up my small cross training with some of the Judo guys. It was fun and I had a blast..I did notice some differences in the end between my Bjj skills and their Judo skills..All and All I rate the experiance a A+

whitewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
Although i am not a expert some tips i  have received from Judo types are:
1-Practise falling as much as possible-try to take shock with the palm-it stings but you can keep going
2-Never land on elbow-you will break the bones on cement and also on a mat hurt the elbow
3-i agree Judo throws can be brutal-you are close in to the opponent and by off balancing him you can employ a sweep/throw quickly
4-by adding a judo type sweep/throw after strikes to opponent to  face/head/neck  area you have shocked him and can stay ahead in the attack :
This is a good thread and hoefully more people will add to  it
whitewolf

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
It was a fun experiance. I was just out there with those guys to cross train. I do see alot of holes in Judo using it for street defence but the same goes for alot of Sport Fighting going over to the street.

rio

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
i agree and both disagree, after awhile you'll be able to pick apart anyones game. but thats the thing about DBMA, you use what works for you and get rid of what doesn't.