Author Topic: Hello from SA  (Read 4615 times)

oldboy

• View Profile
Hello from SA
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:10:39 AM »
Hi to all,

My name is Kevin. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and I am 26 years old.

I have been practising mainly JKDC with mainly Inosanto Blend and Lameco Eskrima, Muay Thai, Western Boxing and Greco Roman grappling/wrestling. This has been for the last 8 months.  been in MA in general for about 10 years so I'm still a baby  :-D .

There are no Kali or JKD schools in my area, so I have had to learn as much as possible from videos. I was given a beginners session in person by my good friend's two older brothers, who learned Kali from a guy here, who learned it from Paul Vunak. Fortunately,I have a very open attitude towards MA I know nothing about, and when they mentioned Kali in a conversation about MA, I said "please show me". In the very short time we had, they at least taught me a few basic attacks and blocks, pointed out any major mistakes and gave me a feeling of how the "energy" of Kali feels.

Since then I have been learning from the training videos of Guro Dan Inosanto, Guro Edgar Sulite, Paul Vunak, Randy Couture and Bas Rutten. I have been planning on getting some DBMA dvds for a while now since I consider it some of the best training on the planet.

For the last 3 months I have been stickfighting regularly ( at least once a week ) with a good friend. We only have hand protection at the moment so some of it is fullcontact ( to the arms ) but we go easy near the head and medium shots everywhere else. It has been an awesome experience in so many ways. I am buying some new equipment at the end of the month, Yay !.

The name Dog Brothers also really appeals to me because I have always had a great love for dogs. I have a 1 and a half year old Staffy girl, who loves to lie in the grass and watch the stickfighting.

I think it is truly an amazing thing that through learning violence we can become more peaceful and gentle to others.

I look forward to us all learning from each other.

Best Wishes,
Kevin 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from SA
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »
Woof Kevin:

Welcome aboard.

I have heard some very interesting things about stickfighting methods in South Africa, and also about knife.  Please feel free to share about these.

I have also heard that the street crime situation in SA can be very bad.  Again, please feel free to contribute in this regard as well.

Woof,
Crafty Dog

oldboy

• View Profile
Re: Hello from SA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Guro Crafty,

Thank you for the welcome.

I do not feel any kind of expert on SA's traditional stickfighting method ( Nguni Stickfighting ) and Knife fighting. I will try to share what little I know.

On the topic of crime, there is unfortunately too much to share. The realities of violent crime in SA is one of the things that caused me to search for my own truths in MA these last 8 months.

Kind Regards.