Author Topic: Western Stick Arts  (Read 7890 times)

mike_c

Western Stick Arts
« on: September 11, 2003, 08:28:07 AM »
here is a link to some videos i found of French stick fighting
http://www.batoncanne.com/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=5

there are more links on the left for baton, canne and double canne etc, each page has a sample video on the bottom right of the page.

i was wondering what some of you guys might think of this stuff.
I personally feel too impressed with it, reminds me a bit of the super flashy kind of FMA i have seen where they are all florettis and so forth.
i am of course terribly biased .

But as ever open to any stick style from anywhere.
i have a link to some irish cudgel video techniques if you guys are interested.

Mike Cartier

Lazyhound

• View Profile
Re: Western Stick Arts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 08:56:03 AM »
Quote from: mike_c
I personally feel too impressed with it, reminds me a bit of the super flashy kind of FMA i have seen where they are all florettis and so forth.

They explicitly state that they're going for beauty rather than effectiveness in the second paragraph. [EDIT: And that they've modified the system to be more sport-ish]

Also, I'd be interested in seeing those Irish videos.

Anonymous

Western Stick Arts
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 12:35:54 PM »
I've seen it a couple of years ago, it's not so sporty and ineffective as someone can think...
the roots are European fencing. You can say anything about fencing, but in fact it was real and deadly...
In the past in Poland we also had this kind of weapon instead of training with sharp blades. The only difference is in Europe normal wood was used.

Tomek

Anonymous

Western Stick Arts
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 12:42:27 PM »
if you watch the video You can see some movements easily to be found all around the globe:) Notice, please, that weapon is very light (I don't know English name for this plant :cry: that You make sugar from...), so techniques are very flashy and seem to be not to strong. But attacks to the legs are really nice and worth watching.

Tomek

mike_c

irish stick
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 10:21:17 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4933/shillelagh.html

Irish stick fighting videos.

I agree that the leg attacks are nice in the french video, the sticks are obviously light but its not  too bad. i guess i just wanna see some alive hand working in there somewhere.

Anonymous

Western Stick Arts
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 11:50:06 AM »
form Tomek:

just thing about it as a fencing, hand skills are limited because of sharp blade...
it was evolving from training for fencing, got a little of competition, and that's why looks like this.
But while using light blades these guys could be not so bad...