Author Topic: The Link Between Fighting & Fornicating  (Read 10008 times)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Link Between Fighting & Fornicating
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »
I recently stumbled upon this knife online and inside of a email chain a number of us turned it into a rather intellectual conversation.

http://www.bostonblueyes.com/blog/nice-knife.jpg

With that said, here is the conversation:

"Being one that is interested in symbols and metaphor... and even devoted some time in his formative early 20's studying such things in college, I could tell you some interesting things about what that knife is implying... but I don't think you guys probably want to hear about any of it :P"

"Mr. Gruhn,

I don't know if you remember Crafty talking about the homo-erotic nature of prison stabbings but I think that something like this would sum what crafty was talking about...

-mike"

"That Crafty, he is a smart man. If I remember correctly the word "vagina" translates directly into the word "sheath." So you have a sword (you can figure out which body part that equals for yourself) and a sheath. Stabbing someone is a dominant act where you "sheath your sword" so to speak. Also take into consideration that there are two acts that people engage in in which they try to occupy the same space. One is fighting, the other also starts with the letter F. Any guesses what it is? :P Both of these activities are coming from the same primitive area of the brain that is concerned with survival. It actually makes a lot of sense... to create a family you do one of the F's. To protect your family you do the other F.

Jon"

"Speaking of sheaths

http://www.teethmovie.com/"

"The relationship between sex and violence is even more readily apparent when you look at the rest of the animal kingdom. Humans (and a few of the other higher primates) are the only ones that have built an artificial wall between the two. If you look at many canines they not only fight their competition for the rights to spread their genes, but they often even fight with thier hard won mate. Small children often catch their parents in the act, and mistake what is happening as some sort of violent altercation.

It is an interesting subject. Most people get freaked out and stop thinking about it. They immediately make some connection with homosexuality, which it is most certainly not about at a base level. I can see how it would turn into that in a prison environment, and that had never occured to me. I guess I have never been up close and personal with prison violence though, and I really aim to keep it that way :P

Add a megacorp. religion like Christianity into the mix and the entire thing turns into a giant mess, but at heart that knife really demonstrates the two most fundamental instincts of life:

1. Spread your genes at all cost!
2. Kill any mofo that gets in your way!
Jon"

"So, could I make the leap and say, people that are into S&M or autoerotic asphyxiation that ‘wall’ is thinner. Mixing their sex and violence like dogs and cats do?"
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Link Between Fighting & Fornicating
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
"So, could I make the leap and say, people that are into S&M or autoerotic asphyxiation that ‘wall’ is thinner. Mixing their sex and violence like dogs and cats do?"

Well, I think it is hard to say with any certainty, but in a lot of cases you are probably correct. Or It could be the fascination with societal taboos, or a case of overstimulation leading to being jaded and looking for the next kick. It could be a combination of the three. I think in any case it is the instinctual next step. The two are already connected in our unconscious mind. That wall only exists in the conscious thinking part of our brain.

We have willfully removed ourselves from most of the natural world, but that doesn't mean we can divorce ourselves from our evolutionary roots so easily. The urge to reproduce, and the urge to protect your own are powerful instincts that still have very real applications in the modern world. The failure to recognize their importance is the sickness, not what two consenting adults do behind closed doors ;)
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »
Until his account is approved:

"my account is still waiting admin approval. I hate computers. anyway, I seem to recall from my college years that their exist an idea further up the chain in the scientific community concerning a relationship between start and finish/infinitely big and infinitely small. Allow me to clarify. In string theory the idea goes; if you continue to magnify into atomic structure, past the atom, nucleus, proton, quark, and keep going you end up at basically a resonating string of energy. This string may very well closely resemble the universe as a whole. So what's interesting is their may be no difference. How this may relate to what were discussing, as I'm purely speculating here. Perhaps the relationship between sex and violence simply highlights the contradictory yet simultaneous desire to both propel the existence of humans (procreation, survive, etc..) and also to destroy it. Hence yin and yang, good and evil, and the war that has allowed the universe to begin in the first place.

-wes"
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »
More:

"I'm impatient for approval, so let me just rearrange my thoughts on the penis knife issue, from my last reply. What I'm seeing with the knife is the apparent CONTRADICTORY state of creation and destruction. this makes me think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxist_philosophy_of_nature
(read under "law of opposites")

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-1/mswv1_17.htm

see also "dialectical materialism"

-wes"

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
Although Freudian concepts persist, sometimes a tunnel is just a tunnel.  And more so in American society, masculinity is not the opposite of femininity.  Rather, femininity is the ultimate constraint of masculinity (beastiality), both morally and physically.

Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
The line between the F's is there for a reason. Having dealt with those who do not have this inhibition, I can tell you they are some of the scariest bipeds you'll ever see. Those who get sexual stimulation from stabbing or shooting are known as "piquerists". A certain percentage of serial killers/sex offenders have this paraphilia.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
GM:

I said it was a construct. I never said it wasn't a useful one  :-P  At this stage in our development I would say it is almost mandatory.

As far as a tunnel just being a tunnel goes... well... When I try to decide whether that thing falls under Form or Function... it certainly doesn't fall on the function side. That makes it Art, and art usually has a purpose. There may be other interpretations than mine, and I am game to talk about them if they are presented  :-D
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!