Author Topic: Liner lock issues  (Read 18439 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Liner lock issues
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
Reason why I go with Emerson Knives and now the Syperco Shivworks. Their knives don't have that problem and I am pretty sure Cold Steel does not either.

JeffP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
Reason why I go with Emerson Knives and now the Syperco Shivworks. Their knives don't have that problem and I am pretty sure Cold Steel does not either.
The Camillus HEAT series is also a nice (and inexpensive) liner-lock assisted-open knife without the aforementioned "twist and cut your finger off" problem:

It has a very strong assisted-open mechanism (takes a little getting used to), but very nice and easy to keep sharp.

Also +1 to Cold Steel... I'm partial to the Voyager series and inertial opening, though the X2 is freaking huge  :evil: .

scomith

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
I recommend a folder with a mid lock and a David Boye dent. :wink:

My first liner lock experience was with a S&W folder. A little tap on the back would make the blade close on your hand.  :-o I never looked back.

I see what the guy in the vid means about getting the thumb nail in there to release and the added safety, but it means two handed operation.  :|

scomith

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »
we had a cutting class a few months ago we used hind pig legs hanging from the ceiling about head hight (5 to 6 foot)
although i love liner locks over other folders he had failures happening constantly one participant  didn't even notice his knife had collapsed
my Keishaw did not perform well so i continued my day with my benchmade Ats34 fixed blade. i will try to grind the lock down and give it a try at the next class see how it work
while wearing a chainmail glove
those who do not listen learn through feeling

oldboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »
Can someone explain to me a bit better ?

I have a Kershaw Blackout which has a liner lock and I tried to twist the knife as in the video and I could not get it to close by twisting.

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
As I understand it, when closing a blade with a liner lock, say you have the blade in your left hand, you pull the locking mechanism to the left with your left thumb to release the blade and close the knife.
If you can create this same effect by twisting the cutting edge of the blade to the right, hence creating the same relative motion, this bypasses the lock and then you have a problem, as obviously this can happen at or after contact if there is any twist. I guess some locks are also easy to engage even with a normal grip which is a problem when you inadvertently pull on the lock, again if the blade twists at contact.
Some blades don't seem to have this issue, but I have heard of it as a potential hazard.
The Spyderco "Yohimbo" has a neat liner lock along the back which is cool.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
Where does one get the chain mail gloves (or suitable alternative) for testing?

Kase

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
Crafty:

Try here for carver's chain mail gloves.

I imagine that you could also get some fellet gloves ,like these, from your local sporting goods store.

Attack life because its going to kill you anyway. --- Unknown

Hawke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
Has anyone have any experience with hexgloves?

http://www.hexarmor.com/

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »
Quick add. I found that Emerson knives have a great locking system and Also my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto is excellent.

I have a quick question. Does anyone have any ideas on how to carry a fixed blade with out looking like conan the barbarian in public?

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »
Maxx, that is a very difficult proposition. The only real way to do it is concealed, which is what I do with my Spyderco Ronin. It has the tek-lok clip on it, which I clip to my belt and wear it under a shirt. The biggest problem with carrying a fixed blade is the "intent" that is easier to prove should you use it in self-defense. It is easy to pass a folder off as a utility knife, but much harder to do with a fixed blade. I'm not saying you should not carry one as they have a lot of advantages, but it does open up some legal issues that we should be aware of.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Apart from intent issues, there is also the simple fact that concealed fixed blades are a felony per se in many/most jurisdictions. 

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
Apart from intent issues, there is also the simple fact that concealed fixed blades are a felony per se in many/most jurisdictions. 

That is a problem in many places, but not where I live. Any blade under 4" is legal, but you still would run into intent issues in carrying a fixed blade.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »
Where do you live? 

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »
i found that knives that incorporate the liner lock into the knive frame seem to fail more often, i did file down the lock on my kershaw and have had no problems since
those who do not listen learn through feeling

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
i found that knives that incorporate the liner lock into the knive frame seem to fail more often, i did file down the lock on my kershaw and have had no problems since

That helps a lot, as long as the lock and blade meet up securely. Several manufacturers are actually making them that way, and they all should.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »
Thought I would bring this topic back up with a question.

Anyone handle one of Brams Knives the Lapu Lapu?

If you have how is the lock and the blade?

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10expand.asp?productcode=ckllc

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
Maxx,

Bram Franks LLC Rocks!!!  The lock looks like a liner locks but it is a puzzle lock.  Bram went through great length designing the knife and more importantly the lock.  It is probably the sturdiest lock I've ever seen.  The concept behind the knife is pretty cool too.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com