Author Topic: Ghurkas in Iraq? and anyone know what system of Hand To Hand they use?  (Read 9960 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Had no Idea that Ghurkas went to Iraq but I was also interested in their fighting system. Anyone have any idea of this?

http://www.command-post.org/archives/003357.html

Edited to add before it gets lost:

The Gurkhas Have Arrived
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM (ACCNS) -- Security at this forward deployed location has taken on a formidable new dimension. After adding layers of concertina wire, K-9s and four contingents of law enforcement, officials at the British installation have added a regiment nothing short of legendary.

The Gurkhas, the world-renowned Nepali special forces contingent of the British Army, have hunkered down here, alongside Air Force Security Forces and local police.

For the elite light infantry unit, hunkering down is a simple process, and one of the unit's many extraordinary capabilities. British Army Major Neil Stevens, the Battalion Second in Command of 2nd Royal Gurkha Rifles regiment, explained why his unit is so valuable.

"We can move anywhere in the world on 24 hours' notice," Major Stevens said. "We're ready to go anywhere, anytime."

He said the Gurkhas, rely on flexibility and operational experience. They are configured and used like the U.S. Army Rangers or U.S. Marines. They are also martial artists, airborne tacticians and masters at cover and concealment. As they patrol the perimeter here they'll be drawing upon a more intangible quality – their reputation.

"Our capability is backed up by history," Major Stevens said. "We've received more Victoria Crosses than any other unit."

The Gurkhas have been honored 26 times with the cross, the British equivalent of America's Medal of Honor.

Their heritage is ripe with operational experience. After a British expeditionary conflict in Nepal in the early 19th century, the Royal Army was so impressed with the Gurkha fighters that it recruited and constructed special regiments of the elite soldiers. Since it's inception in 1815, the mostly Nepali force in composition and culture has participated in every significant campaign and many lesser-known military endeavors.

"In the last two years we've been everywhere the British Army's been, from East Timor to Afghanistan," Major Stevens said.

Their reputation is also tethered to their "ethos" -- adherence to a strict, self-imposed code of honor and discipline.

"We must be loyal, honest, well-trained," explained a rifleman standing in front of perfectly arranged cots flush and grounded at their encampment here. "We are very experienced, especially in jungle warfare."

A more recognizable trademark is their long and lethal Kukri knife, a symbol of their legacy and lethality.

The Gurkhas are working with the four agencies already securing this base, including Security Forces, RAF and Ministry of Defense Police and local constabularies.

"We're very happy to be working with the MOD police and U.S. Forces," a Gurkha rifleman said. "We are not sure about the conflict with Iraq and we don't know what will happen, but we're here now and we're happy to help."

Security Forces officials agree and are also happy to have the boost in capability, said Capt. Woody Boyd, the security forces commander at another deployed location, currently assisting in orchestrating the defense of this base.

"I can remember 12 years ago as an airman hearing people talk about Gurkhas and what they are capable of doing," Captain Boyd said. "The Gurkha is an extremely professional soldier and we're extremely honored to work with them. It definitely enhances security."

Security forces officials indicated the regiment will be deployed on the perimeter to thwart any intruders. It will also serve as a last line of defense before armed Air Force security forces on the airfield. Major Stevens alluded to the employment of a balance of conventional policing and stealthy tactics.

"We intend to be very visible during the day for the purpose of deterrence," Major Stevens said. "But at night it's another matter. We'll be configured accordingly."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:51:32 PM by Crafty_Dog »

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
I've always been fascinated by the Ghurkas and would like to know as well. I know that many of the cruise lines I have been on use them as their Security Officers on board ship, but they are unarmed.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
I don't have a clue as to how they train. I looked online but I think it might be something like Bando.

Matt Tucker

• View Profile
Some of Britains finest soldiers

And after all their loyalty, courage and fighting for Queen and country they are refused citizenship to the UK.
Meanwhile, terrorists, murderers and criminals are given free enty, houses and social welfare............... :x

Grrrrrrrr

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
hey maxx
 like you all i found was a referance to bando
there is a man call Dr. Gyi whom aperently teaches the art, i have a freind who went to one of his seminars i am waiting for his reply i also fired off an email to khukri house in Nepal for some info they to have not replied yet
i bought one of their blades years ago it is a scary tool
 http://www.khukuriblades.com/contents/contact_us.php
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Everything I found on Dr. Gyi is not good. Several websites list him as a fraud and he never served with the Ghurkas or was a p.o.w
I didnt get to deep into what the websites are saying but I got the point of several of them.

Have you looked into this? Have you found them to be rumors or real?

Marc Denny had put up a link for me to offer to my friend from Canada when he moves down here to a man in El Segundo that teaches Bando but I am not sure that is what you are looking for. He seems to be more of the sport side of Bando and not the Military style and I don't think he teaches the Khukri. Not sure though

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Maxx, Dr. Gyi has a fair amount of Dog Brother affilation. :wink:
He actually lives in southern Ohio and is getting rather old....not sure exactly how old.....but last I heard he did not take any new students...but still works with those he already knows :wink:......

As far as his past goes.....don't know about that, but there are lots of folks out there that think his martial arts is legit :lol: Maybe more reasearch is needed. :-D
                                                                    TG
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tom,
 I never said anything about his contributions to the Martial Arts. I was pointing out that in my search to find out more about the name ( That was the first time I ever heard the name) I came across to many sites that pointed out that his military service with the Ghurkas was fraud.

If he did or did not serve or was using that to publish his art is beyond my Knowledge. Like I said..It was the first time I have heard the name. I don't know anything of the man except 1) He teaches Ghurkas Comabt methods 2) May have been or may have not been a Ghurka 3) I now know he has a fair amount of Dog Brother Affilation.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Maxx, Its cool. That stuff about his mil. experience has been around for a long time
Speaking for myself onley...........I really would'nt care so much about what happend during his military time....but I would train under him if given the oppertunity......Hope that makes sense.....
Pretty much all I want to say on the subject......
                                                                               TG
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
@ Tom or Anyone know anything about how the Ghurkas train with the Khukri?

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
hey maxx
 i'll keep an eye and ear open to any info
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:59:12 PM by herrero »
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
I did so other research. I will private message you the findings.,

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Mike Mai of El Segundo is trained by GM Gyi in the Kukri.  I do not know his criteria for people who wish to learn it.

GM Gyi has been a good teacher to me and is an outstanding martial artist.  I will say though that I did not feel fairly treated in my dealings with the prime website which attacks him concerning the legitimacy of his record.  Last time I looked (several years ago) they were still soliciting accusations that were both anonymous and hearsay-- which is not my idea of the right way to bring a man down.  Regardless of the merits of the matter I find it remarkable how many people simply fail to note this point, but I digress , , ,  I leave it to him to defend himself from these accusations or not.  He has stated for the record that he regrets any errors/mistakes and never meant to hurt anyone.  He is now well into his 70s and as far as I know is dedicating himself to teaching yoga and his Bando Monk system.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:17:22 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Colby

• View Profile
@ Tom or Anyone know anything about how the Ghurkas train with the Khukri?

Hi,  I lived in India for awhile in the early 90's and mostly hung out with Northeasterners (mostly Nagas), but some Nepalis and Tibetans as well.  As I understand it, the kukri is sort of like the swiss army knife for Nepalis.  They use it for everything.  So, if the Nepali grew up in the countryside, they've probably been using kukris thier whole life.  Nagas are the same way with daos.  I just sort of think of everybody in that region as high-altitude hillbillies, and that is why I felt so at home among them.