Author Topic: East Coast Training  (Read 6140 times)

medicmatt

• View Profile
East Coast Training
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
Anyone know of a good school or reputable training group in and around Delware or Philly?  I know there is a group by Penn State but that's a hike for me.  Gotta couple guys interested in stick and DBMA, but no instructor and no trainers to oversee.  Sayocs the best local stuff but I'm more interested in stick right now. 
Grappling and BJJ background with some kickboxing for most of us.  Anyone??  Anyone??

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast Training
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
We also train on the weekends if you are interested in coming up.  We do Muay Thai & Jiu-Jitsu primarily on Saturdays but I'm sure we would have plenty of people interested in doing stick material.  Classes are until 2PM and there is an open mat @ 4!

Woof!

Dog Ryan
State College, PA
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:20:30 AM by ryangruhn »
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

medicmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »
Sounds good but far away.  I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at a 5 hour drive. 

I'm out of the grappling game due to neck injury.  That's how I got interested in the weapons like stick and knife.  Multiple years in law enforcement.  Now I'm a Medic.  Trying to be as realistic as possible.  If you are on the Seminar circuit I might be able to pull off the hike up there.  Unfortunately, I think the wife would put her foot down if I wanted to travel that far for what she would consider "simple" training.  I appreciate the info though.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
Well, bring the wife with you. State College is not a terrible place to bum around for a weekend this time of the year. You can sell it as a "family trip" or something  :evil: 

We are often grappling on Saturdays, but you would not need to twist my arm to get some stickwork in instead.

Bring your group in the summer and maybe we can spend the day training in the woods... in a stream, lake, steep inclines, rocky terrain. There are some really great outdoor areas that we could put to use no more than a ten-twenty minute drive from here. We could turn it into more than "simple" training if we put our heads together  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:37:29 PM by Jonobos »
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

medicmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
Already working on it.  I was also going to try to combine a trip up there for training with a Penn State game in the fall.  Seems my wife's family are big fans.  Some are alumns.  It'll take some work but I'll definitley be in contact.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
COOL!  PSU Game, hit eachother with sticks, sounds like fun times!  Jonobos is right about having some crazy beautiful places around here to train.  A lot of woods, streams, parks, etc.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com