Author Topic: Sombrada  (Read 7207 times)

David

• View Profile
    • http://www.functionalselfdefense.org
Sombrada
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:37:01 AM »
Hello,

I've posted a new video explaining sombrada and its application, primarily with material I had originally made to send Crafty in 2002.  I thought you guys might be interested.  The video is here:

http://www.hertao.com/filipinomartialarts/sombrada.html

...and the blog post here:

http://www.hertao.com/blog/2008/05/sombrada-explained/

I hope to add much more to the site in the coming weeks and would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions,

David
Armed and unarmed self defense at FunctionalSelfDefense.org.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Sombrada
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
Hey, very cool!

Thanks David!
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
looks familiar in some ways...

8-)

Hmmm
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »
Very well done.  Your explanation is very good and the concepts you present make so much sense.  To show a legit use of sombrada in a fight that sets up the snake and ultimately the disarm I provide you with this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIajbiMZB3M

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

PhilipG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
The problem I had with the explanation is it's limited scope. The same three movements were shown without any breaking off or re-entering. All of the thrusting lines were ignored. As a Pekiti Tirsia practitioner you should be aware of how that element is blended into the drill and how it could impact the result. Since you used non PTK terminology I presume you are purposely not includiing the other drills that fall under the Sumbrada umbrella (bad pun).

I do salute the attempt to drill it at a higher speed. Being able to maintain it long term at that speed though is wishful especially if there is a realistic hope of application. I find that if the closed distance is maintained for any length of time, during an exchange of over 5 or 6 strikes, that one or both players tend to fall into "striking the weapon" and not the person holding it.

When you look at Guro Inosanto's explanation of Sumbrada, you will see that most people barely make it to level 5 of the 12 levels he describes so it is easy to see how people's impressions of the drill can seem off. But you are right, footwork rarely seems to pollute most peoples versions of this drill.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Sled Dog,
  Would you be able to list the 12 levels from Guro I.?  This really intrigues me.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:58:36 PM »
I think if you get nothing else out of a basic 3 count sumbrada that you get a strong #1, the cross step, and a roof block. There is obviously many other things hidden in there. And this is just the 3 count.  Is the R1A pattern really that different? They are both motion generators that you can look to insert technique into.  Its all about reference points. If you never move beyond the simple drill then it might not be worth the time. If you expand on it and let it grow then it probably becomes much more... but you have to start somewhere right? The genius of these drills is their simplicity.

Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating spending hours and hours on sumbrada :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:01:10 PM by Jonobos »
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

David

• View Profile
    • http://www.functionalselfdefense.org
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

PhilipG: Yes, the video was limited in scope.  There's only so much you can fit in 2 minutes, and just compiling that from the small amount of video footage I have, adding the narration, etc., took hours.  If someone was paying me to do this, then I'd be happy to make an hour long video demonstrating all the possibilities, variations, etc.  But, I'm doing this for fun!  Also, there were 5 movements in the drill I included, not 3, and one was in fact a low line thrust.  I meant to only show the "sombrada" portion of the drill, or what I call "sombrada", not PT "thrusts on tapping", break in-break out, etc.  I do find that the drill can be done for technical benefits, fun, and exercise even remaining in that one pattern...continually focusing on striking your partner rather than the stick.  I find it's a good way to zone out and ingrain the motions.

Good day to you all,

David
Armed and unarmed self defense at FunctionalSelfDefense.org.