Author Topic: home made equipment  (Read 74013 times)

Jogo do Pau

• View Profile
Re: home made equipment
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 06:15:51 AM »
Aloha Warriors thanx  for the loud bark. Hope all is well. Back @ Inosanto trying to get more flow.In the past i wasn't one for set drills but I'm learning to dig them. Ill take a caveman on 1 any day but drills can only make me a better fighter. Biz is hoppin and I'm training like a madman on a mission. What that mission is I have few answers but I'm riding this wave till the wheels fall off. Life has so little time to learn so much.Hope to check u @ next gathering. Train hard & take no prisoners. :evil: Woof Woof

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
Ahhh ...so only 3 months later ..... Finally .... a couple pendulum training clips ...
I couldn't find 'The Frustrator', but here is the 'Half Frustrator'  :lol:
Double Blade training:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCUahAWEGE

Also, another clip, training with the Sandung:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ZFYdSFlxE
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
WOW.  :-o
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »
Maija,

I  really appreciate you sharing!

Thanks,

Terry

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »
Maija,

This is simply beautiful.  Is this you in these clips with Maestro?
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »
Ryan,

Yes, that is Maija. Very smooth movement. Taught well and obviously learned well.

-Tony
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
Thanks guys.
Pretty much all the footage I have is of me training with Sonny. Everybody got a copy of their workouts, and Sonny kept one for himself. We reviewed, and so did he. He said he often didn't know 'what was going to come out', so he liked to have a video to review. It's a long process looking through them now, but I hope to post more stuff as I come across it.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Doppelgangster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
I've got a homemade desquerdes made out of PVC, pipe insulation, duct tape and a few tennis balls.  Eventually I had to rewrap it in gorilla tape because the sun was eating away the duct tape.  Sometimes I attach a metal hoop to the center so I have four rotating quadrants to work thrusting technique accuracy and timing, and when it spins there's all sorts of different angles to work.  I got the design and principles from a James Keating DVD, lots of good stuff there.  I like it for working attacking a hand sized moving target with the tip of my weapon.  I've also got a few unique training knives.  One is a very small "prison shank" trainer that was made of a broken folding trainer (broken on a fencing mask) where I basically took the blade and wrapped part of it in duct tape.  Sometimes I keep it hidden on myself in training.  Another is an ASP rubber dagger that I cut down to a 4.5 inch tanto style blade that fits into a leather sheath that I bought sans knife at a garage sale for a quarter, so I can hang a trainer from a belt in a realistic fashion.  I also made a push dagger trainer.  I took pictures of this stuff but can't find a USB cable.  Here's some old pics:
shank trainer:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/RossMakoske/shank.jpg
desquerdes:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/RossMakoske/desquerdes1.jpg

Doppelgangster

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »
I'm gonna try building a medicine ball tomorrow.

SB_Mig

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
i found a great tool to work on stabilizer muscles
all you need is a 4 inch PVC pipe six foot long and 2 -4 inch PVC caps and PVC glue
glue one cap one one end let it set this will take about 30 sec to a min, then pour some water into the pipe roughly fill one third of the pipe.
then cap the other end, let it sit for 30 min once the glue has cured, you can use this pipe for a variety of exercises i like t use it to do curls
although it has little weight ,if the pipe is not properly balanced it will give you one hell of a work out rying to kep it level and trying to keep your balance . if you put the pipe across your  shoulders you can do dips again if you are not balanced this will be really difficult. as i come up with more exercises i will post them. and by the way the cost to build this was just over $20
if you know a plumber it will be even cheaper.
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:07 AM »
Is this what you guys do with a sledge hammer and tires? Geez! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJFegHL8NxA&feature=related

Karunamama

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
Interesting piece of equipment for training footwork and balance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bH5HcpgAxU

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Chris Charnos was a student before my time so sadly we never met. I believe this is his student Steve Atlas in the video.
Miyamoto Musashi.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
Interesting piece of equipment for training footwork and balance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bH5HcpgAxU

You beat me to the punch Maija. LOL.

I met Chris Charnos years ago, I think it was at the Sonny Umpad seminar that Kelly Worden hosted. 
I believe Chris was also a student of Jesse Glover too but I could be wrong. 

Any insight about that piece of equiptment Maija?
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
As I remember Sonny telling it, this footwork was traditionally practiced on a large cross section (approx 4") piece of bamboo cut in half on the ground - Sonny would use a 2x4.
It looks like Chris has expanded on this concept by combining the 2x4 with the X that Sonny always had drawn out on the floor of his living room.
More than that would be telling ... :wink: :lol:

Miyamoto Musashi.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »
As I remember Sonny telling it, this footwork was traditionally practiced on a large cross section (approx 4") piece of bamboo cut in half on the ground - Sonny would use a 2x4.
It looks like Chris has expanded on this concept by combining the 2x4 with the X that Sonny always had drawn out on the floor of his living room.
More than that would be telling ... wink cheesy

Ah cool, it looks like a fun training "device" just think of the fun you could have by you adding the pendulum ball like J does in one of his clips.

BTW
I googled Chris Charnos' just to see if he had some more clips or info about his training with Sonny and apparently he fought out of AMC Pankration \ Matt Humes gym AND he was Josh Barnett's 1st Professional Opponent.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Pkadoman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »
My main instructor, Mahay Punong Guro Felix "Manoy" Pascua, used to have us train on an obstacle course that included a cut off telephone pole wrapped in a piece of cut up bed roll foam hung from a tree by wire then another wire attached to a weight buried in the ground, great forearm conditioning. Another one of my favorites was "high voltage" basically a 4x4 bolted on to two poles that was also used for forearms, so named because if you hit it at the wrong angle it sent a "jolt" up your arm, great incentive to get the angles right! :lol:
Learn everything you can, use what works and cut away the rest.

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
bow wow everybody,

another easy medicine ball.

deflate a basket ball with the inflation needle. :lol:

fill a large bucket with water and use a small hand held soccer or football pump, to fill the ball with water.  something like this;
http://soccer.epicsports.com/trk2084876/prod/3995/tachikara-hand-held-inflation-pump-9-5.html)

refill the ball with air and your done.

It takes a little while, but its cheaper than duct tape. you can vary the weight quickly and easily and the water makes it harder to handle. play around with the air pressure to suit your needs. I do variations on something I saw in one of the "Gym jones"  trailers, after "300" came out.
unfortunately the videos are´nt there anymore. basically,  throw the ball as far as you can from different angles and sprint or jog after it.
 depending on how much air pressure you have, it can get the heart rate up pretty quickly.
p.totts

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
Not home made equipment, but material that looks like it could be used in some interesting ways. Not sure how to get some/ if it's for sale ... but cool stuff anyways:
http://technology.todaysbigthing.com/2009/09/08
Miyamoto Musashi.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »
Not home made equipment, but material that looks like it could be used in some interesting ways. Not sure how to get some/ if it's for sale ... but cool stuff anyways:
http://technology.todaysbigthing.com/2009/09/08

I've gotta get some of that for under my mask next time Im fighting Dog Pound.   :lol:

:mrgreen:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »
Home made mace with Quickcrete

http://maxwellsc.blogspot.com/2008/10/gitchy-gitchy-gada-ya-ya.html

and

homemade club bells

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nux8nu2Jaks[/youtube]