Author Topic: Does Anyone Teach MCMAP on the outside?  (Read 27327 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Does Anyone Teach MCMAP on the outside?
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
Been training with a Buddy of mine in MCMAP and I was wondering if anyone on the outside civilian life taught this?

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Teach MCMAP on the outside?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »
Why do you ask?

I have the entire curriculum and have taught MCMAP to Marines and Sailors.

I was never "Certified" as a MCMAP instructor.  When I went to go through the course, one of the traininers asked to see my MA's certs.  After that and watching me help some others, he ended up telling me to just teach the curiculum and let him know when my guys were ready to test out. 

I also taught at Camp Johnson at the Brown Belt - "Instructors" course.  They are required at the higher levels to receive "X" amount of hours in a "Civilian" martial arts of their choice. 

I like the program at the higher levels but disagree with making it mandatory at the Jr enlisted level.  (False sense of confidence, and all that)

I know a retired SSgt in NC that teaches a modified version to his students. 

Plus, I used to be attached to 3/2 (2004-2007) with LT Brian Stann when he ran Weapons Co.

http://www.brianstann.com/

http://www.denarosports.com/stann.cfm

8-)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:46:23 PM by "Dog" Dean »
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
I ask because my friend is headed back out of state and I actually really liked some of the thing's he was showing me and I wanted to continue to see what it was all about.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
I ask because my friend is headed back out of state and I actually really liked some of the thing's he was showing me and I wanted to continue to see what it was all about.

Goodtimes Maxx,

Stay Progressive!
Woof!
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »
I've been exposed to Mcmaps and watched a number of classes become certified to tan belt when the commandant declared he wanted his Marines certified to that level(2003?). It has it's pros and cons. The cons i've seen are the wrist locks from the bad guy grabbing your collar, etc...the pros ties in the simplest and best of mma into weapon retention and basic staff, stick and knife. The belt on these Marines means they have been exposed to certain concepts and meet certain requirements like any school that teaches the masses, homework and remedial training makes the difference between Marines who have it down to second nature and the rest. The ability to be proficient at Mcmaps depends on your sgts and co focus cause you definatelly do not have time to become a machine at them in the short course at Basic. In ones unit there are so many things to do, it just depends on what the focus of pt is and deployments, etc...

The system links the unarmed to armed. I like the shirt that i have seen some mcmap instructors wear that says "one mind, many weapons" The concept is good and ties into what many who are reality based are leaning towards. Bels country breakfast says it all- 3gun match, mma, pd, and game theory.

So who wins the bar fight? the sailor or marine? medics don't count Dog Dean.

Just wanted to clarify i was not in the military.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:43:34 PM by peregrine »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
"Pd"?

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile