Author Topic: I'm in Hawaii  (Read 9812 times)

Dan Farley

• View Profile
I'm in Hawaii
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Staying in Waikiki for a few days with my girl.  I don't have any of my gear, but I might be looking for some open mats, or something like that.

I tried looking up the Relson Gracie school, but it looks like he has a bunch of affiliate schools, and I can't seem to find the one he teaches at...

Anybody have some suggestions? 

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:28 AM »
According to the Onzuka Brothers:

http://www.onzuka.com/acadmain.html

Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Main Academy
844 Queen Street, 2nd Floor
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
(808) 589-2524
(808) 589-1592 Fax
Email: gracie@aloha.com
URL: http://www.relsongracie.com

Main Academy Hours & Fees Call the academy at (808) 589-2524 for updated class schedules & fees

The main academy is located on the second floor of the Mosler building on Queen Street.  If you are traveling east on the H-1 Freeway you can take the Kinau Street exit and take a left onto Ward Avenue.  Then take a right onto Queen Street, one block after the Blaisdell Arena (which is on your right). If you are traveling west on the H-1 Freeway, you can take the Lunalilo Highway exit. Take a left on Pensacola, then take a right on Kapiolani Blvd. Blaisdell Arena will be on your left, at that stop light, take a left Ward Avenue, and a right on Queen Street. The academy will be on your right side.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:33:59 AM by Robertlk808 »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:16:34 PM »
Thanks, Robert!

Went into Todd's school, off south King St last night.  What timing it was!  Relson was there himself.  I guess he does seminars around the world full time now, and sold his original school down here, but he does seminars with his guys down here once a month, and it just so happens that I walked in the one night a month he is here.

I missed the first part, but the half that we walked in on was really a treat.  Todd, the owner, let us sit in and watch. Relson's game is VERY technical and precise.  He was showing some awesome side control to knee on belly attacks.  I noticed that it was the fine details that he put into each movement that made his jiu jitsu utterly flawless.  He was using some BIG local guys to demonstrate on, and not one of them could move an inch from his basic side control or Kasa Katame (sp?) control.  I tried taking pictures with my brain, but there was too much to absorb.  But he had some great arm lock variations to branch off the basic attacks after you've been knee riding. 

I also noticed how much energy he had, and how incredibly fast he was.  All the pictures I had seen of him depicted him as one of the older brothers, and at a quick glance, he does look it.  But to see him in action shows otherwise.  Every transition was lighting fast and fluid, and he was all over the mats, watching over every one of his guys, quick to grab them and show them proper technique. 

Some of the guys were asking him about some of the "new school" escapes and submissions, which he was happy to look at.  Each time a guy tried one of the escapes they learned or heard of on him, he would make one tiny transition and shut it down instantly. 

Some quotes from him that stand out...

"Everybody wanna say they know the technique, cause they drill ten times in class...  No, Son!!  No!!...  You tell me you drill this maybe a thousand times, then I listen to you, cause maybe you understand now."

"You drill the technique till is like driving the car.  In traffic, if you don't know how to drive, you get scared and tense, but when you a good driver, is ok, no big deal.  That's how jiu jitsu should be.  I never think, I never worry, I just go, because I don't think about techniques, I just go..."

And when he handed out his promotions at the end of the night, he hugged each one of his students and said:

"Good job, brudda.  Day by day. Day by day..."

Probably the finest instruction I have ever seen a BJJ teacher pass down to his students.  I wish I could remember more to share.  But I might go back for the no-gi class tomorrow morning to see what it's like to roll with his students.  I will post more if I do.

Oh, and where are the best bars to watch UFC at down here??!!!

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:34:15 AM »
You can catch the UFC @ Roundtable Pizza on the conrer of Kuhio & Kaiulani in Waikiki, there might be more in Waikiki but I'm not sure.
If you want to venture further then you can go to Red Lions or perhaps the varsity in the University District. 
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »
Wow man, I don't know how you do it. If I were you, in Waikiki I'd be thinking about getting some mat time with the old lady!?

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
Staying in Waikiki for a few days with my girl.  I don't have any of my gear, but I might be looking for some open mats, or something like that.

I tried looking up the Relson Gracie school, but it looks like he has a bunch of affiliate schools, and I can't seem to find the one he teaches at...

Anybody have some suggestions? 

You should hook up with the Hawaiian DB clan! (Dogzilla)
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »
You should hook up with the Hawaiian DB clan! (Dogzilla)

I pmd him my phone number on the 15/16th...

woof KahunaDog.

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks for Pm'ing me, Peregrine.  Unfortunately, I had to cut out of there and get back to the mainland.  My mom fell and broke some bones and has to get replacement surgery, so I will be in MN taking care of her for a bit.

Made it into HK for a no-gi class though, and I have to say that Todd is an incredible teacher.  If any of you guys are thinking about training JJ down there, he is top-notch!!