Author Topic: Woof from a FMA noob  (Read 7370 times)

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
Woof from a FMA noob
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
Woof All,

A new guy here getting started in FMA, or stick fighting in general. I've been a long time lurker on this board deciding whether or not it was for me and hope to start utilizing DBMA videos in my training once I pin down one to start with. (I of course would like them all, but money is tight right now.) I come from Minnesota where there at least two good teachers within an hour's drive- Greg Nelson and Rick Faye but I can never seem to work out my schedule to drive to Minneapolis on a consistent basis. (in fact Guro Dan Inosanto is in town today and if I didn't work weekends I would have loved to make that seminar!)

My 37th birthday is next week and my ultimate goal is to attend a Gathering someday before I am 40, so I am taking the "first step" towards this goal by committing to training. My next step will be to make it to a DBMA seminar and/or a private with Guro Crafty within the next year. I have an eye on either joining or starting a training group to stay motivated.

Anyway, I ramble- so I just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to joining the discussions here.

Chad

Dan Farley

• View Profile
Re: Woof from a FMA noob
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
Chad,

Sounds like you're  somewhere close to my old stomping grounds.  I grew up in the Lake Minnetonka area. 

I trained with Rick off and on for a few years when I was younger, so did my little sister. He is an incredible teacher!  A few years ago, I packed up and moved home for a bit, and spent my whole summer in his gym.  One of the best experiences I've ever had.  Rick is a big believer in drilling the basics, he will give you an awesome base to start with. From there, you can go anywhere.  He also has strong connections to Erik Paulson, Master Chai.  Obviously Guru I as well....

I've heard awesome stuff about Greg Nelson as well, but I never trained with him.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:32:53 PM »
Chad,

To fill in some info. for you on the other side, Coach Greg Nelson is a great martial artist and teacher. I am always so inspired by him, not only from his amazing list of accomplishments, but because of his amazing recovery from cancer. I've heard amazing things about Sifu Rick Faye for years now. Obviously he is one of the best in the Inosanto family.

IMHO, you should try to train with both of those amazing men who are so close to you, develop what you would like to work on for a Gathering from your DBMA research and what you are getting in class, and then book your plane ticket to attend a Gathering so that your goal manifests itself in the timeframe you mentioned. Obviously, time and money make the matter a little more complicated than that, but it doesn't have to be if you stick to your plan. I hope to meet you soon at a Gathering.

Bryan
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »
Woof Chad:

Welcome aboard and glad to see your first post.

Both Greg and Rick are outstanding teachers and any time with them will be well spent.  I look forward to hearing from you when you are ready to work with me.

TAC,
Guro C.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
Thank you all for your encouragement. I am taking a class this Sat. at MN Kali for purely convenience of my schedule, not because I feel one school is better than the other (in fact Greg Nelson's place is few blocks from my work! But they dont have an entry-level class on weekends) Wish me luck as my adventure begins!

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
Woof to all,

I am also a Newbie to this forum. My Name is Rich I lived In the Twin Cities in 89'-90 and took some classes from Rick Fay he is Most definitely a wonderful instructor. I am currently studying on my own at this time and Like you Chad Money and time are always in short supply. some Video I have found useful are pretty much anything by Paul Vunak, Burton Richardson also has some useful information on His material but he tends to jump around so much its hard to keep a coherent training Thread Going based on his material. I am also looking forward to getting some of The DBMA Videos in the near future. Right now I Live in a very small town in North Central Nebraska just a few Miles from  the Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation where I grew up. i hope to develop My skills enough to be able to teach FMA and MMA material to some of The Kids and to work The various institutions in the area to increase awareness of The POSITIVE effects of learning the martial arts. Right now many people here are afraid of what I do wth The escrima and Of MMA I have a small club with four members that i work with and all together we Train. i see the Positive benefits  in One young girl especially who has a background of parental abuse. Makes me wish i could quit my day job and just train and Teach martial arts. Good Luck with your training Chad and if you ever get out into western NE or SD get ahold of Me I love to train with anyone  I can.  Mitakuyasin ( we are all Related)   :mrgreen:
I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass and I'm all out of bubblegum

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
@ Blackwolf 101:
I've traveled only once through South Dakota, and found the area where you grew up to be very interesting and beautiful. It has a very powerful atmosphere.
I think you are right that training Martial Arts can be a most positive experience, especially with a good teacher. The combination of mental, physical and emotional training, along with learning about history, culture and 'human nature' are great tools to take into all walks of life. I wish you the best of luck with your training and teaching.
I still wonder sometimes, at how something that seems so violent, brutal and conflict driven like stick/blade fighting can develop calm, centered, decent human beings .....  weird :? 8-) :lol:
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
@ Blackwolf:
 thanks for invitation! sadly, I don't get that west much, but I will keep you in mind- we are planning a trip to rushmore soon and maybe I can visit your club! I also sent you an email-check your junk folder because it is a live.com account

@maija:
 Maybe it comes from the fact that we shift the focus of subconscious from "prey" to "protector"?