Author Topic: Starting up with FMA (training options)  (Read 6231 times)

barna284

• View Profile
Starting up with FMA (training options)
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:40:36 AM »
This is my first post in the forum; I have been lurking up till now  :-D

I´m an engineering student from Argentina and I´ve recently become interested in FMA. I´ve always been interested in MAs; I tried Karate a long time ago, Kempo Karate and Kung-Fu recently. For some lucky reason, I have three options for training here in Buenos Aires. Could you help me decide on one of them?

There is one academy ("Academia Katipunan") which teaches the Lacoste style. They have classes three times a week, which is a bonus since the others have more limited schedules.

Another academy teaches Pekiti Tirsia, bue they only have classes twice a week (with my college schedule, that´ll probably mean one class a week). This class is run by given by Nicolás Wachsmann.

Last but not least, there is a once-per-week class on DBMA on saturdays (10 AM...), also taught by Nicolás Wachsmann (I looked for him on the DBMA website and he appears as a trainer).

Personally, the curriculum of DBMA as explained in the website FAQ by Mr. Denny seems very interesting and varied, so it would be my first choice. Still, considering my schedules, I´m likely to miss a 10 AM saturday class every once in a while. Another option would be to combine Pekiti Tirsia and DBMA since Nicolás Wachsmann gives both classes. I would also like to know if DBMA involves more sparring than "traditional" styles. I´m not sure how "tough" I am in that respect, but I´m looking forward to test myself with a MA which involves regular sparring, unlike some of my prior experiences.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Starting up with FMA (training options)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:07:49 AM »
Greetings Barna:

And welcome to our Forum.

It sounds to me you like have three fine options.    I am guessing (though you should probably verify with the Inosanto Academy) that the Katipunan school is certified by my teacher, Guro Dan Inosanto.  I love Guro Inosanto and would be nothing without him.  Inosanto Blend is the dominant influence on DBMA and knowledge and training in it will serve you very well in DBMA.

Pekiti Tirisia is also a fine system.  I am a member of the PT family and have trained with GT Gaje both in the US and at his home in the Philippines.  The best fighter in the Dog Brothers, Eric "Top Dog" Knaus, was PT trained and PT is one of the three main FMA influences on DBMA.  Because PT is an important influence on DBMA, a goodly portion of whatever PT you do learn will serve you well in DBMA.

Obviously I like DBMA too  :wink: 

As you may know, I was just in Buenos Aires for 4 days of training and was very pleased to see the work that Nicolas has been doing in person.  Nico regularly sends me discs with footage of him teaching and his students training so I was not surprised in the slightest.
Also, while I was there Nico showed me some footage of him sparring in the Philippines with people of good level and doing quite well.  His fighting movement showed fluidity, good technique, and very good results-- I was very pleased.  During my time there I was able to do some good work with Nico and give him the next block of things for him to work on.  I am confident he will continue to work well the material I give him.  Nico is now authorized to start Training Groups throughout Argentina, Chile (we had some people from Chile at the seminar), and Uruguay.

Concerning sparring/fighting:  The mission statement of DBMA is to "Walk as a warrior for all your days".  The primary laboratory for the system is "Dog Brothers Real Contact Stickfighting" BUT MOST PEOPLE IN DBMA ARE "PRACTITIONERS", NOT FIGHTERS.  There is no sense of someone being a "kitty" if they do not spar or fight.  How far someone goes into that (from Action Flex sitcks, heavier protetive gear and various limiting rules all the way to DB type fighting) is simply a matter of what makes sense to each individual for himself.  I would add that IMHO those who do not spar or fight benefit greatly from being around those who do-- it gives a valuable understanding of what the training is designed to do, especially when taught by a teacher with some experience such as Nicolas. 

Does this help?
Guro Crafty Dog

barna284

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:33:19 AM »
Guro Crafty Dog:

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I´ve checked and the Katipunan academy is not certified with the Inosanto Academy. I believe I will contact Nicolas and see if I can try one of his PT classes next week.

Regarding sparring, I understand that DBMA does not require sparring. However, while I´ve enjoyed all my prior martial arts experiences, I sometimes feel that I would´ve liked to have more sparring experiences. I´m not confident in fighting situations and that´s a side if my personality I´d like to explore. I believe MAs can be a good place for this sort of introspection.

By the way, I was just watching that short speech of yours titled "Rambling ruminations" on YouTube. I found your words most interesting.     

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:47:24 AM »
Great.   :-)

I hope you will continue to post here.

barna284

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:00:54 AM »
I had my first PT class yesterday and I had a great time. After some basic attack drills, I was instructed in some basic footwork and spent a good part of the class with different triangular displacements. After that I got to try my recently-learned attacks on a tire, which was quite interesting. As I repeated my footwork drills again and again, I got a glimpse of the more advanced students sparring. It looked fascinating. I was also surprised by the weight of the average stick; the idea of DB sparring seems even more extreme now that I´ve heard the kind of impact one of those sticks gives to a tire...

I´m covered with calluses in my hands and feet, but I will definitely be returning next week!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »
You now have begun the Adventure that continues to intrigue so many of us here  8-)