Author Topic: Different sticks for training  (Read 5307 times)

barna284

• View Profile
Different sticks for training
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:05 AM »
I am just starting out with FMA (Pekiti Tirsia), so bear with me if my questions are a bit newbie-ish.

I would like to know if it is common to use different sticks for different parts of training. The other day I saw that my instructor had sticks of different width & weight. I was given a lighter stick to perform the first warmup moves. However, when drilling basic attacks against tires, I used a thicker, heavier stick.

I was practicing a bit this weekend (can´t wait for my seconds class...), using a makeshift wooden stick with weight and width similar top the heavier stick I saw on class the other day. It was quite taxing on the hands and forearms, so I was wondering if perhaps I should use a lighter stick, being a newbie and all.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
Re: Different sticks for training
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »
I am just starting out with FMA (Pekiti Tirsia), so bear with me if my questions are a bit newbie-ish.

I would like to know if it is common to use different sticks for different parts of training. The other day I saw that my instructor had sticks of different width & weight. I was given a lighter stick to perform the first warmup moves. However, when drilling basic attacks against tires, I used a thicker, heavier stick.

I was practicing a bit this weekend (can´t wait for my seconds class...), using a makeshift wooden stick with weight and width similar top the heavier stick I saw on class the other day. It was quite taxing on the hands and forearms, so I was wondering if perhaps I should use a lighter stick, being a newbie and all.

IMHO, I would have to say ask your teacher.  Only he/she knows the path they have in mind to guide you along.  Give it time and do what your instructor asks of you. 

:wink:

There is good and bad to both answers, its all about timing...

V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
Exactly so.

I would add that in DBMA our philosophy is to be able to handle sticks of different sizes (length AND diameter) weights, etc.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
 i think once you REALLY fall for FMA you'll find yourself with so many different training sticks it'll almost be ridiculous. from rattan to guava, 28 in. to 31 in., different diameters, different weights, etc., etc. you'll find sticks you don't mind ''ruining'', then you'll find some sticks that ''speaK'' to you for some reason and you'll do nothing but hit the air with it, and you'll find sticks you'll want to use for sparring/fighting. sometimes when you see people with all manners of sticks, this what they are for.

Francisco