Author Topic: Dog Brothers Action Flex Sticks Question?  (Read 16827 times)

manofleisure

• View Profile
Dog Brothers Action Flex Sticks Question?
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
I am wanting to purchase some action flex sticks for practice and light sparring.My question is about the stiffer and stiffest models.

Which model of stick would be appropriate for us.I want to do some light practice sparring that might include a stick that can be used with no hand gear but might offer some type of blocking presence.

I have used regular brand action flex sticks and they were perfect for contact with no hand gear,but were pretty weak putting up any type of block...it would just fold over.

I would like some feedback for which model of DB action flex stick would be right to purchase and practice with for my needs.

Rob

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Brothers Action Flex Sticks Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:49:38 AM »
Anything that doesn't hurt will flex too much or have padding that will be too thick to cut through the air.  I've tried every sort of practice stick, and the best I found was a Sonny Umpad design with a nylon sign 1/4" post at the core, covered by thin foam and some sort of electrical heat shrink tubing.  They were good for a while, although quite whippy and unsuitable for blocks.  There have been many types of sticks, but you really want a thinner rattan 5/8" x 25-28" is good.  If the stick is longer, it is whippy.  Then, wrap the stick with pipe insulation foam from Home Depot.  The tube will need a skin, and again, I bought a bunch of nylon sleeves from Nick at bloodsport.com along with the 5/8" sticks.  The 4 oz. MMA gloves (make sure yours doesn't have that stupid bar in the palm) are unobstrusive for sparring and stickwork, though they do nothing to protect the thumb, which is most often damaged when strikes the thumbnail from the tip side.  Over time, I have found that the sticks last about twice as long as the foam.  More often, the nylon case breaks at the tip or the foam at the tip slides down to expose the stick, so check the tips of the sticks before each round.

In the interest of eye protection, I'd invest in some fencing or WEKAF masks.   Eye damage is only a matter of time.  Fencing masks are probably better as they protect more of your head and have no major gaps as can be found in the WEKAF gear.  WEKAF helmets are better for breathing and need less light, though that solid grill is harder on sticks and the ears.  And if none of your players have been hit in the eye during years of practice, the sparring is, uh, well, "too controlled."  I truly believe that you need to hit the head, face and legs and swing harder to practice eskrima effectively.
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

TonyPeters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
Woof,

I have used the original Action Flex, the Smak Stix, and the Super-Stiff Action Flex. The original action flex was too much flex and too much padding. The Smak Stix are pretty stiff with a little padding (disclaimer: broke a guy's nose with one) I personally like the Super Stiff that is offered on the DB store. I am able to block and quickly counter without the flexing/recoil issue. Very little "flex" and enough padding for training techniques with less damage. It's also nice to buy products from family...Support the Tribe! :wink: 

~Tony
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:16:00 PM by Tony Peters »
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~George Orwell

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
 i think the biggest drawback to the actionflex is its limitations for grappling. besides that, i think, it's an invaluable to tool for your FMA/DBMA training. you can spar HARD and not have to worry about an injury(ies) sidelining your training.

whatever type of ''soft'' training stick you use, eye/face protection is a must. fencing mask, WEKAF helmet, doesn't matter. if you're going to have face/head contact protect your eyes.

Francisco   

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
Amen to that "Support the Tribe"!