Author Topic: Kids and Stickfighting  (Read 5372 times)

Oracle

• View Profile
Kids and Stickfighting
« on: April 15, 2005, 07:28:50 AM »
Hi all!  New member and long time fan here.  I could use your advice on the following issue:

Right around the time my 9 year old son was born, my boss at the time introduced me to the Dog Brothers panther tapes.  He was a childhood friend of Eric Knaus' and had all the video stuff at his house.  Anyway, being a big MMA fan, I thought it was great.  Needless to say, my son has seen alot of Dog brothers matches on the TV over the years.  He recently learned that there is a Dog brothers rep at the gym where he takes muay Thai and wants to attend classes.  Do you guys have an age limit or rule of thumb at the main school?  Would you accept a 9 year old student, or should I get him to wait till he's older?

Thanks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kids and Stickfighting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
Who is the rep?  Where is he/are you located?

Oracle

• View Profile
Kids and Stickfighting
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 08:53:17 AM »
The instructor's name is Greg Brown at Sityodtong muay Thai in Somerville, MA

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kids and Stickfighting
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:57:04 PM »
Woof Oracle:

Dog Greg has had some good training with me and has fought well at our Gatherings.  Whatever decisions and arrangements you may or may not make are up to you and him.

Woof,
Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
Dog Brothers Inc Martial Arts.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kids and Stickfighting
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »
Oracle,
  I currently teach Kali to our Youth JKD class and have found that if taught correctly it will only benifit them.  Anything for that matter that is hand/eye will increase their overall skill.  While I don't get into the fighting and things that are more intense I do go into a lot of things that will train attributes.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com