Author Topic: Alignment  (Read 52993 times)

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Alignment
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
Thanks BW.

I guess I just assumed everyone here works out already and is fairly functional.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but flexibility before strength is often sound advice, Blackwolf101 do you have any thoughts on this?

Considering we are stick swingers I am going to go out on a limb here and say shoulder stability is a huge priority. So a few times a week of W/T/ aor Y would go a long way.

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Thanks BW.

I guess I just assumed everyone here works out already and is fairly functional.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but flexibility before strength is often sound advice, Blackwolf101 do you have any thoughts on this?

Considering we are stick swingers I am going to go out on a limb here and say shoulder stability is a huge priority. So a few times a week of W/T/ aor Y would go a long way.

You are Right on the Money Peregrine, shoulder stability is important, as well as flexibility.  remember that the aim of creating correct postural alignment is to balance the system. The system in question could be the lumbo/pelvic/femoral complex or it could be the shoulder/scapula/thoracic chest wall system. we want to create zero Net force across the joint in question or at least as close to that as we can get,  and a lot of people don't realize that flexibility is part of the equation. i like to work on flexibility and strength side by side i recommend this format:

-warm up with light movements similar to those that you will be doing in the actual athletic activity-

-Then stretch  performing whatever routine you like but try and get all the major muscle groups-

-perform your technical material next  whatever that is, it may be sumbrada drills or sinawalli drill or numerado or light sparring ect... whatever you want that might be considered technical work and requires neuro-motor training-

-Then perform your strength or cardio routine next-

-warm down including a final stretch-

organizing your workouts this way allows you to warm up and stretch adequately to make sure that the muscles  and neuro receptors in the joints and muscle tendons are ready to go! it also allows you to work on high level skills before fatigue begins to be a factor.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:08:37 PM by Blackwolf_101 »
I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass and I'm all out of bubblegum

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Forgive me a moment of shamelss marketing here, but one of the Vid-lessons available to DBMAA member is based upon the Bando two man yoga with a stick for shoulder health. 

"the shoulder/scapula/thoracic chest wall system."

EXACTLY so.

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
Nice! :)

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
Pop Quiz !!

Can anyone name all 17 muscles that attach to the scapula??

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 03:31:02 AM »
Uhhh , , , , ummmm, , , ,

1) rhomboid
2) lats
3) traps
, , , ummm  :oops: :lol:

Blackwolf_101

• View Profile
    • Total Kombat Arts
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 05:53:00 AM »
 :lol:

Here are the muscles with tendonous attachments to the scapula/shoulder blade

1)superspinatus
2)infraspinatus
3)subscapularus
4)teres minor
5) teres major
6) deltoids
7) Triceps
8)bicepis brachii
9) latisimus dorsi
10) Rhomboids major
11) omo Hyoid
12) seratus anterior
13) Pectoralis Minor
14) levator scapula
15)trapezius
16) corocobrachialis
17)rhomboids minor

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The natural squat
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The natural squat
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
IMHO this is very important!

https://quartzy.qz.com/1121077/to-solve-problems-caused-by-sitting-learn-to-squat/

The legs exercise for skiing used to be the 'deep knee bend'.  Then it was suddenly dropped and we were told it was not good for the knee to bend and push back up from further than a 90 degree bend.  I wonder if that thinking has changed.

In downhill ski racing you tuck for aerodynamics, but not often past 90 degrees.

From the article: