Author Topic: Reality Toys  (Read 11750 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Reality Toys
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »
Woof All:

One of the things we say in DBMA is "The Search for the Totality of Ritual and Reality".

In the Reality category we have, for example, our "Die Less Often" DVD series (currently two releases, should be 4 releases by year's end).  And we will gradually begin offering practical reality items in our catalog too.  Typically these items will not be weapons-- there will be practical things such as emergency medical kits (you survived the knife attack, but you are bleedling badly.  Now what?), mini-flashlights, cool "just in case" things to carry in your car or to set up for your wife to have in her car, walking sticks, and things of that sort.  Now, no doubt some of you may be thinking that some of these items can be improvised weapons too.  No doubt some of you would like that we sell weapons too! But then Pay Pal would be unhappy and be unwilling to do business with us.  That said  :wink: we will be kicking things off with some key fobs.  Huh?  Key fob?  Wuzzat? :?

=======================
Woof All:

As defined on Wikipedia, "a key fob is a generally decorative and at times useful item many people often carry with their keys, on a ring or a chain, for ease of tactile identification, to provide a better grip, or to make a personal statement. Key fobs are often called "key rings" or "key chains" in colloquial usage. The word fob may be linked to the low German dialect for the word Fuppe, meaning "pocket", however, the real origin of the word is unknown."

Made for the esthetics and hands of dainty women and the men they rule, the simple fact of the matter is that most fobs simply are too dainty and delicate to meet the demands of folks like ourselves.   "Ease of tactile identification" for us means something big and sturdy and these sturdy hard plastic fobs are exactly that.

When you are rooting around in your gym bag looking for your eyes amongst your training gear, you want something big and obvious.
When you are looking for your keys around the house, you want something big and obvious.

When you are wearing gym shorts or sweats, which when they have pockets at all have pockets which are rather untrustworthy for something as important as your keys, you want a practical solution and these fobs give you just that!  Just tuck the fob down your shorts or sweats and let the keys dangle outside-- its just that easy.

As seen in the fotos in our catalog (any day now- when Cindy gets them up), we offer five basic models:  two different lengths of tapered, one cylindrical, and one cylindrical with a loop so you can choose the one that suits you for your every day carry. The fifth model is a softer and relatively pliable version for those of  you who prefer that.

In a related vein, we also offer a sturdy manly sized stylus-- no more fussing around with dainty little styluses made for soft unathletic
hands. It the size and appearance of a normal pen (pocket clip included of course) and is made of the same hard, easily gripped material as the key fobs.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:36:33 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
Re: Reality Toys
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
woof:

i was going to ask for pix when i read up to the part that Pretty Kitty will be putting it up soon.

for people like me, almost anything that is an object/tool that may be utilized as an instrument for one's self-defense is a huge uptick over obvious self-defense items like a pocket knife!

looking forward to these reality toys!!

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
i have put in my order today for a  Key Fob, blunt ended with a key ring ... the pointed end is tempting, but because i live in nyc (other places may be worst than here with regard to laws and pointed objects)... but i wanted something innocuous looking, functional-everyday-usage-looking but should the need arise, i will have a tool of opportunity readily available.

although the koppo is probably the most versatile (out of koppo, yawara, and kubotan - to use the japanese terminology), i cannot think of a good response should a LEO ask me what i use that for, why the loop.

i believe the keychain part of the kubotan is more nuisance for me, but the overall appearance of it and the functional aspects of it balances it out.

edit:  the  Stylus with a pen clip  is also very tempting... however, due to my personal philosophy, i didn't get it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:53:01 PM by Stickgrappler »
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »

i believe the keychain part of the kubotan is more nuisance for me, but the overall appearance of it and the functional aspects of it balances it out.

I like the key chain part;  It ensures that it's always with me;  I can use the key ring as a thumb loop, the added keys and *mine has a Cat of 9 taiils on it is nice for whipping/distracting (not to mention the small blade added to the key ring can bite too when whipping).

:-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:06:30 PM »
a) The key ring of the key fob is removable

b) What are the philosophical issues pertaining to a stylus?

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
woof Guro Crafty, Kaju Dog et al:

KD,

i have made a conscious decision not to carry any form of blades. i did not think of using the keychain as a thumb loop though, but i find personally it's a nuisance as i hold it with the keychain on top as taught/advocated by Tak Kubota. he teaches some applications to flail the keys into the BG's face. i will have to play with the keychain as thumb loop idea to see if it's for me. thank you for the idea.

GC,

cool that the keychain can be removed, however, i would leave it on. also toying with the idea of having at least 1 key be a real key and the rest some random keys that is not in everyday usage in case i lose it while using it for self-defense and have my real set of keys somewhere in my bag or jacket.

the issue of the stylus for me is that i dont have need of one. i used to carry a palm pilot some years ago, which has since been replaced by my cellphone which has a superthin stylus and can track of my contacts, calendar, etc. i cannot imagine explaining myself to a LEO that i use this superthick/big stylus for my cellphone. i can hear some members thinking, well, why doesn't he just say he's a computer artist or something and the stylus is used for work? i don't like the idea of lying. in this specific case, it's not the act of lying (although i hate lying), but it's the congruency of my mindset/my lifestyle... maybe i'm paranoid, but i cannot imagine myself talking to LEO's or DA's or lawyers and having a plausible explanation of the ownership of the stylus. now if i was really in a line of work that needed a stylus, that would be different, but sadly i'm not. i imagine if i tried to lie, and they did a simple probing/questioning into my background, they would have caught me lying or at least cast doubt on my words.

i also hear some members thinking, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. for me, that is a bad mindset, that almost primes me to be aggressive, anxious to physically defend myself. i would rather not have to get physical, but should the situation escalate i will not hesitate... i also definitely don't want to deal with any legal aftermath.... i don't know if i made sense, or it's just that i'm paranoid or you can even call me crazy lol

~sg

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »

i have made a conscious decision not to carry any form of blades.

Why is that if I many ask?  Are the laws in NYC that restrictive?  OR?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
SG,

Take a look at this:

http://www.survivalistsoutfitter.com/shop/itemdetail/catalogID/24694/Cold-Steel-Cutlery---Accessories/

I like them myself. It is a functional sharpie type pen that could be used for additional purposes.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
woof JDN:

forgive the long rambliing reply on my part. replying with stream-of-consciousness writing and during work.

i have made a conscious decision not to carry any form of blades.

Why is that if I many ask?  Are the laws in NYC that restrictive?  OR?

AFAIK, nyc laws prohibit any blades greater than 4". i used to carry a spyderco delica that is within limits. it was my EDC for the better part of 2 yrs.

2 equally important factors was in my decision... with others, the first factor is easily taken care of, but for me, it is not so easy. that is one of training. i have trained some fancy FMA knife drills, as well as some prison shanking methods. but i have not trained it to the point that i would be confident in my skills. also, if i drop my knife or it gets disarmed, will i be able to fight empty-hand vs knife? what if my own knife was used against me.

i am sure the members of this forum are thinking well, this one seems easy enough, do more training. i am still at a stage of my life where i cannot devote that much to training yet. however, how realistic would my training be for what would probably be a surprise attack? i am confident in my awareness skills, but who knows where and when i get jumped? i have a wife and 3 kids, maybe having a knife for an EDC may worsene the situation for me?  i have my family to consider because if i am not around, life would be much harder for them.  no matter how realistic i may be able to make my training, it will never be the real thing. it is not sparring, it is not rolling, it is not even stick training... it is bladed training. all training can be forgiving as it is mutual consent. the real self-defense encounter will be less-than-forgiving.

i will not lie to myself nor to others. i will not  lie to my family, i will not put them into a position willingly that will make life harder for them. i am not a knifer. i am not even a stickfighter, but i rather use a stick or baton or broomstick for self-defense should the need arise over using a knife.

secondly and equally as important to me is that i do not know if i can live with the reality of me having to deploy my tool in a self-defense situation when i deemed it necessarily to deploy. i do not know if i can live with the traumatic stress of the aftermath of injuring someone. i do not know if i will survive the legal aftermath of an encounter also. as i read about violence, the realities of self-deffense, soldiers killing, etc. i really do not think i am mentally strong enough to deal with the aftereffects of the encounter.

if there is something i know about myself, it's that i'm realistic. i will not lie to myself or others in thinking i am skilled enough in any aspect of the martial arts and my training to have to test it for real in a self-defense situation. if at all possible, i rather avoid the self-defense situation. i am no expert, no master, i'm just 'joe generic' and looking to get home safe and sound to my loved ones.

did i make sense?

woof G M,

i've heard about the cold steel sharkie, but for some reason haven't checked into it. thank you for reminding me about it! checking into it, that is if it is the sharkie.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
SG,

Take a look at this:

http://www.survivalistsoutfitter.com/shop/itemdetail/catalogID/24694/Cold-Steel-Cutlery---Accessories/

I like them myself. It is a functional sharpie type pen that could be used for additional purposes.

woof G M:

just checked, it is the sharkie. i'm sure it's much sturdier than a sharpie... for me, too bad it's marketed as 'sharkie'... if they called it any name relating more to being a marker than being a predator, i would be more than cool with it. the connotations of the name may work against you when talking to a LEO or in the court. i am happy with my pen and mini-maglite.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »
Stickgrappler; thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I understand your points.

You might check out the Sebenza; it is a very well made knife and under 4".
Utilitarian if never used for self defense.

best wishes,

james

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
Stickgrappler; thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I understand your points.

You might check out the Sebenza; it is a very well made knife and under 4".
Utilitarian if never used for self defense.

best wishes,

james

woof JDN:

thank you for reading my long-winded reply  :-)

i will check out the sebenza, but odds are i won't be looking to any bladed tools for my EDC.  still have my spyderco delica. i like pocket sticks aka olisi palad aka tabik malit aka yawara/eda-koppo/kubotan aka dan bong etc. because they are blunt tools.

i got my key fob in the mail today (along with Kali Tudo 2 dvd). woohoo! like a kid at christmas, i go to my jacket pocket to get my keys to put onto the key fob...

[mental drumroll please]

yep, you guessed it, i left my keys at home  :x

anyway, i will be practicing with it and put it through its paces after i watch Kali Tudo 2  :-D

very truly yours in the MA,

~sg