Author Topic: April DB Tribal Gathering  (Read 33841 times)

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: April DB Tribal Gathering
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
Crafty, Thanks for the reply. See you Saturday! 8-)

BTW,  I hope you don't start calculating our age in dog years.  I feel old enough already!  :-D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:58:01 AM by Tom Stillman »
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
Thanks for an awesome weekend guys!

Cyborg, C-Sleazy, Tennessee, Boo, Pappy, C-Lefty, awesome fights, thanks for pushing me so much.  Dog Randall thanks for being my team mate in the two on two fight!  Yet another fun weekend with my brothers and I'll look forward to next time.

Woot!

Dog Ryan
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
From the newly christened "Scotty Dog" (many thanks to Guro C for letting me use your Laptop)

If you've been on the forum for more than the last 12 months, you may be aware of my post this time last year, lamenting the fact that my head wasn't hard enough to allow me to fight for more than one day (again, thanks for all who looked after me). This weekend was a big deal for me as not only did I get to see if I had the bottle to get up for a second day's fighting (it was hard) but I finally got to fight in Temecula (and tast the dirt, but thankfully not the horse poo)

Thanks to all I fought, apologies to those I didn't and thanks for the good times & beers.

Remember Margaritas are EVIL!!!!!

Scotty  :evil:

PS Ryan, remember you owe me a fight   :wink:
====================================

From the new C-Sleazy Dog Dominic. (Thx to Lonely for the name which could not be more precise in describing my personality... bastard! :-)

Thank you all for showing me such a great time and some of the toughest fights i ever had.
Hope to see many of you at the european gathering next summer! (Switzerland is a nice place in July! Specialy from the 24th to the 26th!)

Dominic

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 01:54:04 AM »
Higgy!  Congratulations brawh! :-D  First full DB in the UK (and a Scotsman to boot!)

Dom, never has a DB name been more accurate ;)  Congratulations bro!

Who else was Dogged?

Matt Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
Woof Scotty and C-Sleazy Dogs

Congratulatiions :-D. Actually I will admit I had quite a bit of input into the Sleazy name but hey, You deserved it!

Scotty, Luckily you already had your dog name or you would have been 'Barf Dog'!

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
The propper care and feeding of a Scotsman, does not include things like Margaritas.  I'm sure, whiskey and beer would have been the better choice!  IMO  :lol:   
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »
During a pre/post (can't remember) fight this weekend with Pappy, I was commenting that so many of the people who come to my training group meetings start out by saying something like, "It's one of my major dreams in life to fight at a Gathering."

I usually respond by telling them the date of the next Gathering, and saying something like, "Well that's an easy one. Come train with me, and I'll do my best to get you ready. Make sure to show up on the day, and I can connect you with people that I think might be a good fit for you, or if you feel more comfortable, you can have your first fight with me, and move on from there. Then that's one major life goal to put a line through."

I will put this out there again, on the public board: If you have ever thought, even in the back of your mind, "You know, maybe I could fight in a Gathering one day", you should attend in September, and FIGHT!

The time is NOW.

I'm Guide Dog, so if it helps, follow this idea, this path, or do the opposite. Either way, I'm living up to my nickname:

I'm 30 years old. I'm a full Dog Brother. I DID not play football in high school. I'm short. I DO NOT walk around in this life dwelling on how "tough" I am, or "what a bad a$$" I am. When I was 11, I remember seeing an old Panther Video advertisement for the RCSF series, and thinking, "Those guys are crazy." A long story, and several versions of myself later, at 27 I fought in my first Gathering. Just about a year ago, I was "sworn in" as a full DB amongst a group of men that at the time, seemed to be in agreement that I deserved it.

I just got back from a weekend of fighting, and 10 fights later, my body feels more chewed up than it ever has from a Gathering. Some of my fights were good. The fight where Cyborg Dog entered on me (at will), threw me like a rag doll, and choked me out within a period of 30 seconds, not so good. Oh well. Cyborg's a very strong, very talented guy. Maybe my purpose in that moment was to just be there, to provide a dummy for Cyborg, and to learn from the experience.

Anyway, I could go on and on. The Gatherings are amazing. They are happening right now. September will be here before you know it. I'm not calling anyone out. I'm encouraging you. The Tribal Gatherings are even MORE special, because you get the chance to hit and get hit by some VERY talented folks, most of whom will be willing to tell you after the fight exactly how they did what they did to you.I can almost feel those of you out there that are just one step away from giving it a go. If you have the means, don't wait. Don't put it off.

Sorry to have turned this into a recruiting spiel. This weekend was amazing. Congrats to ALL the WELL-DESERVED tribe ascensions. Thanks to all who had to make a trip, whether from the east, or Canada, or Europe, or Tahiti. Our brotherhood and tribe is truly strong ALL across the world.

I will post more details on the member's forum (little plug there for joining the association).

Guro Crafty, I thank you again for the weekend, and I hope that days like Saturday and Sunday validate your decision to quit law.  :-D

Sincerely,

Bryan "Guide Dog" Stoops
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
Here is the drummer and bass player from our Gathering playing a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkCtQo3Z0c

mrb

• Train Hard, Fight Hard, or Do Something Else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
Good fights this weekend.  Congrats to all who ascended! 

I remember myself standing in front of a television ten years ago watching DB fights on video, literally shaking.  I thought "I would love to be like those guys one day."  I admired them and feared them at the same time.  I resigned to the fact that it would never be.  Yet as life would have it I pushed my way through obstacles of distance, time, blood, sweat and tears.  I finally did realize the culmination of that transformation this weekend when given my full dog name.  As Crafty and Lonely touched me with their staffs I remeber flashes of so many things going through my head.  But the one thing that came to the top was, "Please don't let them ask me to say anything.  I don't won't to break down."  This meant that much to me.  I will uphold this banner with all of my being.  When I don't want to train, I will reclaim who I am.  When I don't want to fight, I will remember who I am.  When any obstacle has the guts to stand in front of me, I will prove who I am.  I am now, and forever will be a "Dog Brother".  Man it's great to be alive!!

Continuing with what Guide Dog wrote, your time is now.  "When you look back 50 years from now, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"  You've got one life, and the clock is ticking.

Marc (Crafty Dog), Thanks for everything.
Bryan (Guide Dog), you fight everyone as always.  You truely inspire me.
Erik (Tennessee Dog), there's only one thing to say man...   awwweeesssoooooooommmme!
Corey (Dog Pound), Scary as always.
Nick (Pappy Dog), Keeping it real.  "I want to see a lot of stick fights.  But that's just me"
The list goes on and on...
There are too many to name them all but there were some great fights.

Congrats to all.  See most of you in September.

Mat "Boo Dog" Booe
Mat "Boo Dog" Booe
Train Hard, Fight Hard, or Do Something Else.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »
here are some more pics of the april gathering

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=792664128&nctrct=1239434078251
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »
Hey Boo Dog, Great job at the gathering! You and the new generation of dog brothers are really taking it to the next level.  Sorry about the mix up with our double nunchuk fight.  When you knocked one of the weapons out of my hand, I started getting a little nervous and forgot about the stand up agreement. When we clinched,  I was trying to take you down while you were trying to hold this Old Dog up :lol:  I'm a little rusty, but I'm going to try to work on that.
  Thanks to all of the Dog Brothers for a great day! 
   Dog Tom.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:07:19 PM by Tom Stillman »