Author Topic: Guro Crafty 8/1-2 Fort Hood, TX  (Read 27656 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Guro Crafty 8/1-2 Fort Hood, TX
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
Not on base, but a strong military presence at the seminar is anticipated.

DBMA GL SFC. Gustavo Reina is putting things together.   Gus, please post as you like about what you want people to know.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:11:16 AM by Crafty_Dog »

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Guro Crafty 8/1-2 Fort Hood, TX
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
I don't suppose cost or topic are settled yet?

Or what lure would best be used to deflect you to austin?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:07:04 AM »
I sent Gus a shell for a seminar flyer yesterday and he is now filling in the details.

How far is Austin from Fort Hood?

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
60 miles sw.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:30 AM »
Thank you.  And if I may push my luck a bit, how far are

a) Ft Worth/Dallas?
b) San Antonio?
c) Houston?

=======

I just spoke with Gus a few minutes ago.  He is working on the flyer and the specifics of the seminar today/over the weekend and we anticipate haveing more precise news here in the next few days.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/fort-hood.htm

"Fort Hood is located approximately: - 50 miles Southwest of Waco, Texas - 60 miles Northeast of Austin, Texas - 150 miles Northeast of San Antonio, Texas - 160 miles South of Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas - 180 miles Southeast of Abilene, Texas - 180 miles Northwest of Houston, Texas - 230 miles South of Wichita Falls,Texas/Oklahoma border - 245 miles Southwest of Marshall,Texas/Louisiana border - 275 miles Northeast of Del Rio, Texas/Mexico border - 280 miles Southwest of Texarkana, Texas/Arkansas border - 280 miles Northeast of Laredo, Texas/Mexico border - 290 miles West of Orange, Texas/Louisiana border - 315 miles East of the Midland-Odessa, Texas - 340 miles Southeast of Lubbock, Texas - 385 miles North of Brownsville, Texas/Mexico border - 425 miles Southeast of Amarillo, Texas - 575 miles East of El Paso, Texas/New Mexico border"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
Well, that about covers it :-)

I'm really looking forward to this.  Gus did a fine job leading a DBMA Training Group in Iraq and it will be a pleasure seeing him again.  I gather he will be posting later today or tomorrow about what he would like me to cover.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Well, that about covers it :-)

I'm really looking forward to this.  Gus did a fine job leading a DBMA Training Group in Iraq and it will be a pleasure seeing him again.  I gather he will be posting later today or tomorrow about what he would like me to cover.

HooAhh ! 8-)

Looking forward to the After Action Report -  :wink:

V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 06:42:41 PM »
Howdy y'all.

I cannot begin to express how excited we're to be bringing Marc to the Central Texas area.  :-D

Right now a few little details are getting worked out over here and we hope to have them finalized in the next couple of days.

More information will follow soon.

Best,

S.

JeffP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
Gus, glad to hear you're back from the sandbox... that Cold Steel Voyager pocket sword still holding up?

Hope to see you soon

Jeff P/NoVa

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »
Gus, glad to hear you're back from the sandbox... that Cold Steel Voyager pocket sword still holding up?

Hope to see you soon

Jeff P/NoVa
Hi there bro! How have you been?

I sure I'm glad to be back in the land of the big PX.  :-)

My folding machete, as I call it, is still holding up quite well... and it's actually clipped to my pocket as I type this.

Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to training together soon.

Best,

S.

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »
Gentlemen:

It is official:  The Central Texas Combatives Training Group is proud to welcome Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny to his first seminar in the Lone Star State in 14 years.  This seminar will be held near Fort Hood and led by DBMA Training Group Leader SFC Gus Reina (welcome home from Iraq!) a strong military presence is anticipated.  This will be a two-day seminar offering guided instruction in the application of Dog Brothers Martial Arts. 

Areas of focus will include:

-"Die Less Often" Defense against a Knife Attack and Accessing Weapons.
-Dog Brothers Stickfighting
-Introduction to Kali Tudo (TM)

There will be limited space available, secure your training reservation today!

Saturday & Sunday: $175
Either Day: $100

Sticks, "Blue" Training Pistol, Knife Trainer, and forearm and eye protection are recommended.

Date: Sat & Sun August 1-2
Phone (254) 289-6250
Email: steve@ppckilleen.com

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:20:28 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
If you have it, you may be glad your brought some forearm protection for one arm.

I will write more later, but for now I will simply say that I am REALLY looking forward to this seminar and helping DBMA Training Group Leader SFC Gus Reina establish a really strong group. 

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
I'll be bringing a train of folk from austin with any luck.

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
I'll be bringing a train of folk from austin with any luck.

Hey brother, you better bring that train soon, this class is filling up fast!  :-)

Guys, do not wait!!! Reserve your slots ASAP or you won't be able to attend.

S.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
Are most of the attendees so far from a local study group?

stevem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
Are most of the attendees so far from a local study group?
Shdwdncr has been working some crazy shifts lately so I'll field this question. 

Yes, more attendees are from our Central Texas Combatives Group than anywhere else, but guys from all over Texas have signed up (and one from Kansas).  As of today we have less than ten seats left.  We have a great location set up, many skilled attendees signed up, and of course Crafty.  This is going to be a great seminar and the start of a great new DBMA adventure in Texas - Be a part of it and reserve your seat now!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:33:34 PM by stevem »

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
Confirmed I'll be there with two locals.

In less good news, the austin pekiti group scheduled our anniversary/fight day the same day. I may make some sad puppy faces at the seminar.

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
Confirmed I'll be there with two locals.
Glad to hear that you're coming bro.

This will be a great seminar. I spoke with Marc yesterday morning and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the new material that he's been working on.

We're almost full at this point and everyone here is growing more excited by the day.

Nine days and a wake up!!!!  :-D

S.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »
Im really jazzed for you all.  Should be a great time, "Empty your bowl before you go, so that you may leave with it full". KD's twist on a Chinese proverb

Kibbles and bits  :lol:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »
What's the geographic makeup look like? Anyone else from austin?

Shdwdncr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
What's the geographic makeup look like? Anyone else from austin?

We have folks coming from all over the state actually.

Besides you and your guys there are three more coming from the Austin area.

S.

JeffP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »
Sounds like a blast Gus... have a great time!  r/Jeff

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:25:27 AM »
Leaving in a few hours-- really pysched to see Gus, his crew, all the WTers, and meet new friends.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:02 AM »
WT?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
Warrior Talk-- Gabe Suarez's forum.

Had a blast this weekend.  Lots of military (one from Fort Carson CO and two from Fort Polk LA) various LEOs and a goodly number of quasi-normal citizens. :wink:    I was invited to the Army's Combatives tournament that began today on the base-- 250 fighters or so and was asked to do a demo.  Good times.   Good to see the good work that DBMA Group Leader SFC Gus Reina is doing and looking forward to the next time.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
Pasted from the thread at "Warrior Talk":

=================

We just finished a great weekend of Dog Brothers Martial Arts training here in Central Texas y'all.

Crafty was, as usual, at his very best.

To all who attended, thank you so much for making this such a fantastic training event.

I honestly cannot remember attending any previous seminars where so much laughter and camaraderie was shared by all.
It was definitely great seeing some familiar faces and making new friends in the process too.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although there's much that I could say about what we trained on I will excuse now myself and leave this open for the other attendees, especially those fortunate enough to have trained this material for the first time, to post their impressions.

S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a great weekend!

It's only to be expected, though, when an outstanding presenter (Marc Denny) is hosted for his seminar by top notch people (Gus and Steve). All of whom, in turn, draw the kind of attendees you really do want to train with!   From guys that knew a lot, to guys that knew little (me), they were all there to learn, with good humor and no attitude, that I could see. Thanks to all for making it what it was.

If you haven't trained with Marc, and you get to in the future, you are in for a treat. Not only is he knowledgeable and able to convey that knowledge, but he is entertaining as all get out. It really keeps your interest to hear the stories and listen for perhaps the thousandth time to "Oh, I'm sorry....did I step on your foot??" as another classmate hits the floor. Strange how little sorry Marc looked......

And when he pulled out the electroshock knife , did any of you other guys notice how often there was collateral damage to innocent bystanders??

Big thanks to those who volunteered for Demonstration Dummy, especially John, who took more abuse than most, I think. It's a class with hitting....and John happily took some hits for the team.   How's the jaw, John?

Gus, what can I say? You're the driving force, making us all welcome and motivated. Have you always had this much energy??

Steve, the night vision lecture "after hours" was a lot of fun, and informative. The extra time you put in to present it to us was above and beyond. And to Frankdude72 for the "extras" he brought for us to look at, as well. Even Twodogstyx, who couldn't attend the regular class, came and shared his stuff with us that night....Like I said, guys you want to train with.

Not only interested and knowledgeable, but with toys!!

Greg

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The important takeaway from this seminar is the importance of using footwork to develop angles that will give you the advantage and allow you to keep it.

Thanks to Gus and Steve for putting this on and doing all the HARD work to make it successful.

I'm at work now, so I'll keep this short. But it was a great weekend of training and meeting new friends and seeing old ones. Crafty has given me a ton of information to work on. My brain was information overloaded a  couple of times. But it will come back to me.

I noticed that egos were not present, everyone got along, Crafty was patient, and no one got injured that Motrin and relaxation won't take care of.

I only wish that I spoke Spanish, as I really would have liked to conversed with the three gentlemen from Columbia. I could tell that they all knew their stuff!

Greg gets my tip of the hat. Everyone in attendance knows what I'm talking about.

It was a diverse group from all walks of life and "day jobs". That's what I like about private sector training.

I'd like to thank Marc for coming to Texas and, once again, Gus and Steve for putting this all together and giving me the weekly training so I was prepared for this.

"Walk as a Warrior for all of your days"!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great time training, and I only thought I was sore yesterday! This morning was a full blown case of, "Where did THAT bruise come from?"

There is nothing like being the training dummy to show you what NOT to do!!

Hey John I hear ya. I found hondo1911's shoestring/laces imprinted in a beautiful shade of blue/black on my left leg, along with a silver dollar size "owie" on my chest/heart But that means it was great training!

Thanks to all you gentlemen for your kind words and patience.    (And to those I physically trained with, I know I'm quite clumsy on a  good day. So many kudos for putting up with me.)

Thanks of course to Guro Crafty for sharing his knowledge,  perspectives, and immense skill.

Steve and Gus, many thanks for all the time, effort and money you contributed.

Steve, the night vision class had some superb pieces within. I learned a lot.  (Oh and Gus, when next we meet, I'll make sure to have a book handy. Thanks for all your encouragement.)

I'm so very glad I attended.

Guro Crafty did a fantastic job both articulating and executing his art.  Was so cool to see all the principles like:

*proper angles within footwork,
      *consistent movement across weapons categories,
      *not putting yourself in a worse position if your technique doesn't work,
      *not getting too tied up with your opponent when on the ground (due to him possibly having friends),
      *Always being covered (via physical position and hand/weapon orientation) against the follow up strike as you move in,
     *Maintaining 360 awareness,
      *How correct foot/muscles/hand/hip/back/etc. alignment eases efficiency of motion
      *Working towards methods that allow "martial arts and crafts" techniques to function in "the adrenal state"
      *etc.

These are principles I've been often directed to value before, and it  was a treat to not only see them so proficiently employed, but to see it  done so with techniques and movement almost totally foreign to the way I've seen such a mindset emerge as a fighting style in the past.

Absolute treat, gentlemen.

Gregford, the offer is always on the table to train. I'm only a PM away, sir.   I have a great group of talented martial arts guys to beat on me but only one or two can seem to metabolize the mindset WT-ers seem have been bestowed by the grace of God.
It'd be awesome to regularly meet with a guy who also understands the need to work within "the adrenal state".

Hope to see (and train with) all of y'all soon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Awesome weekend of training. I want to say thanks to Steve and Gus for all the work they did in putting this weekend together and bringing Crafty to Central Texas. I know that the two of you put in alot of your time to make this happen.

Watching Crafty demonstrate the various techniques was great. Like John I too suffered from information overload (I have become a slow learner it seems) but I came away form this weekend with alot of good useful information and techniques to practice on. Thanks Crafty for coming to Texas.

Everyone who attended was great, a great bunch of warriors.  Hey John sorry for the shoe bruise on your leg, I guess that is
 payback for the stick to my head, and the finger in my eye.

Guys, hopefully I can drag one or 2 of my compatriots down to Killeen to train with y'all some time.

The more I think about this weekend, the more methods of changing the methodology of my training arise.
Thanks so much.

Wow, what a weekend. First off, I have to say thanks to all the CenTex WTers who joined us for this seminar, and to Crafty Dog for delivering on the training.

Also thanks to Jeff who, despite his recent back surgery, joined us to take over two-thousand pictures during the seminar. I will now show the pictures that best summarize the weekend's training:

Shdwdncr being lifted to higher conciousnes:

John a moment before his first concussion of the weekend:

And yours truly after being knocked head-over-heels by the "Dodger-Dracula":

I really had a great time. For me, the highlight was the Kali Tudo material. Crafty has obviously put alot of good effort into developing this material and it is both truly unique and potent.

The Saturday evening class was so "WT". I hadn't asked anyone to bring their rifles, yet sneaky bags started opening and AKs began being passed around before the class even began. And we had more night vision devices in that class than most infantry squads. I didn't realize so many of us are running around with PVS-14s, I need to get with the program. Also got to
check out one local Wer's impressive carry rig which I detailed in this thread: ____________________

Tonight at our Central Texas Combatives Training Group meeting we went over alot of the stickfighting material fom the seminar. My observation is that it's in the post-seminar review and practice that material is really learned. Again, any Wter is welcome to train with us. In fact we just had Avenger2616 join us in class for the first time tonight.

"The adventure continues..."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 05:23:53 AM »
FWIW here's a local article on the seminar.  As is often the case, there are some errors of fact and understanding.

http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/story.php?id=1533