Author Topic: Warriors in action  (Read 37944 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Warriors in action
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
 A British Lieutenant and his bayonet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
Published: 9:00PM BST 12 Sep 2009

British officer wins two gallantry awards for fending off Taliban attack with bayonet

A young British officer, Lieutenant James Adamson, who won two gallantry awards while serving in Afghanistan has told how he fended off an enemy attack by bayoneting a Taliban fighter to death.
Lieutenant James Adamson was awarded the Military Cross after killing two insurgents during close quarter combat in Helmand's notorious "Green Zone".

The 24-year-old officer, a member of the 5th battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, revealed that he shouted "have some of this" before shooting dead a gunman who had just emerged from a maize field.
Lt Adamson, who is single and comes from the Isle of Man, was moving between two eight man sections when a group of Taliban fighters attempted a flanking attack

Seconds later and out of ammunition, the lieutenant leapt over a river bank and killed a second insurgent machine-gunner with a single thrust of his bayonet in the man's chest.
The officer was one of 145 members of the armed services who last week received awards in the latest Operational Honours list.
In a graphic description of the intense fighting in Helmand, the officer told of the moment killed the second fighter. He said: "It was a split second decision.
"I either wasted vital seconds changing the magazine on my rifle or went over the top and did it more quickly with the bayonet.
"I took the second option. I jumped up over the bank of the river. He was just over the other side, almost touching distance.
"We caught each other's eye as I went towards him but by then, for him, it was too late. There was no inner monologue going on in my head I was just reacting in the way that I was trained.
"He was alive when it went in – he wasn't alive when it came out – it was that simple."
Recalling his feelings in the moments afterwards Lt Adamson, said: "He was young, with dark hair. He only had kind of whispy hair on his chin, not a proper beard, so he wasn't that old, maybe a teenager.
"Afterwards, when he was dead, I picked up his PKM (Russian-made belt-fed machine gun) machine gun and slung it over my back.
"We then had to wait for more of my men to join us. We thought there could be more Taliban about and we were just watching our arcs of fire, waiting for more to come out of a big field of maize which came right up to the river we had been wading through.
"One of my men, Corporal Billy Carnegie, reached us, looked at the two dead Taliban on the ground and then saw the blood on my bayonet and said "boss what the **** have you been doing?"
The firefight, in July 2008, began during the middle an operation to push the Taliban out of an area close to the town of Musa Qala in northern Helmand.
Lt Adamson's platoon of 25-men, which was leading the assault, had just halted their advance when they were attacked.

He continued: "The Taliban kept on probing us – sending in fighters to attack, first in twos then in fours.
"There was a gap between the two sections and the Taliban realised this and were sending in men to get between the two groups so they could split us up and isolate us.
"Myself and Corporal Fraser 'Hammy' Hamilton were wading nipple deep down a river which connected the two positions. Hammy was ahead when the Taliban fighter with the PKM (Russian machine gun) appeared from a maize field.
"There was an exchange of fire and 'Hammy' fired off his ammunition and then the weight of fire coming from the Taliban forced him under the water.
"The machine-gunner had also gone to ground but was still firing in our direction periodically. I had just caught up when 'Hammy' came up out of the water like a monster of the deep.
"Then another Taliban man came through the maize carrying an AK47. He was only three to four metres away.
"I immediately shot him with a burst from my rifle which was already set on automatic. He went down straight away and I knew I had hit him.
"Hammy said I shouted: 'have some of this' as I shot him but I can't remember that. I fired another burst at the PKM gunner and then that was me out of ammunition as well.
"That was when I decided to use the bayonet on him. It was a case of one second to bayonet him or two seconds to put on a fresh magazine.
"Nothing was really going through my mind but briefly I did think 'if this works out the boys will love it' – as in the rest of the platoon that I commanded.
"The undergrowth is so dense in the 'Green zone' that I often ordered bayonets fixed because you knew the distances between you and the Taliban could be very short. It is also good for morale."
His Military Cross citation read: "Adamson's supreme physical courage, combined with the calm leadership he continued to display after a very close encounter with the Taliban, were of the very highest order.
"His actions also neutralised an enemy flanking attack which could have resulted in casualties for his platoon."
Two weeks earlier Lt Adamson had won a Mention in Dispatches (MID) by leading his men in an ambush against the Taliban in the same area.
It is understood that the young lieutenant is the first member of the armed forces to receive two awards for gallantry during the same operational tour.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...h-bayonet.html

Dog Howie

• Power User
  • Unexpected Anomolies
    • View Profile
    • My Duncan RiZe MySpace page
Re: Warriors in action
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »
I don't even know how to respond to that kind of bravery.  An example to follow.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:02:39 PM »
Shot in the face by a .45.  And it pissed him off.  Stones.  Big ones!  Thanks for sharing. 

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Relentless pursuit
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:35 AM »
This guy most certainly walks the walk.  A warrior for damn sure....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1194725/index.htm

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Wounded warriors take stage as motivational speakers
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:12:29 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2012-03-05/wounded-veterans-iraq-afghanistan-life-at-home/54223324/1

He was inducted on Sept. 11. The boy who had not yet turned 20 spent seven hours in a bus full of strangers headed to basic training on that day that changed America. His nation's challenge had become his story. He was scared and confused, but also proud when the mood of the young men and women on that dark bus evolved into defiance.

Four years later, Anderson was on his back on a Baghdad sidewalk, both legs and his left hand blown off when the truck he was driving was hit by an improvised explosive device. Frantic buddies saved his life. "My mom's going to kill me," he remembers thinking.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Mission Continues
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untL7RuKBhM[/youtube]

A service created by former Navy SEAL Eric Greitens, with the intention of helping disabled veterans continue lives of service. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »
The audio is not working for me.  A glitch at my end or ?

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
It worked for me before I posted it, and again when I checked it.  If others have issues, I can try to repost. 

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Warrior code
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/09/living/higher-call-military-chivalry/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I love this article. Deep, heartfelt, wonderful.

From the article:

The pilot glanced outside his cockpit and froze. He blinked hard and looked again, hoping it was just a mirage. But his co-pilot stared at the same horrible vision.

"My God, this is a nightmare," the co-pilot said.

"He's going to destroy us," the pilot agreed.

The men were looking at a gray German Messerschmitt fighter hovering just three feet off their wingtip. It was five days before Christmas 1943, and the fighter had closed in on their crippled American B-17 bomber for the kill.

Enemies find a 'higher call' in battle The B-17 pilot, Charles Brown, was a 21-year-old West Virginia farm boy on his first combat mission. His bomber had been shot to pieces by swarming fighters, and his plane was alone in the skies above Germany. Half his crew was wounded, and the tail gunner was dead, his blood frozen in icicles over the machine guns.

But when Brown and his co-pilot, Spencer "Pinky" Luke, looked at the fighter pilot again, something odd happened. The German didn't pull the trigger. He nodded at Brown instead. What happened next was one of the most remarkable acts of chivalry recorded during World War II. Years later, Brown would track down his would-be executioner for a reunion that reduced both men to tears.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
'His Horse Was Named Death'
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/03/14/horse_named_death

Description of this piece:

On Feb. 21, 2003, 1st Lt. Tim McLaughlin, a 25-year-old Marine platoon commander deployed to the Kuwaiti desert, wrote his initial entry in what would become a remarkable diary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq that spring. "The best writing advice I have been given is just to write," he began. "There will be plenty of time to edit and stylize it later."

McLaughlin is a walk-on to history. His diary begins at the Pentagon on the morning of the 9/11 attacks, jumps to his deployment in Kuwait, follows him into battle during the invasion of Baghdad, and recounts the moment his own American flag was draped over the statue of Saddam Hussein in Firdos Square -- an iconic image of the U.S. invasion. But the diary is much more than just a retelling of the early days of the Iraq war: It's at times wryly funny, tragic, brutal -- and, above all, honest.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
The print story in the USA Today was amazing. What a determined, tough, rugged man who retains a heart of gold. And he seems to have a kind, courageous wife, too. Much respect.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
8-year-old boy rescues 6 relatives from fire, dies trying to save more
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
This kid had serious mind, heart and balls. Sadly, he didn't make it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/new-york-boy-saves-family-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

From the article:

The boy broke away from his aunt outside the burning trailer and ran back inside to try to save his grandfather, she said.

"All I could think about is how he couldn't breathe," she told WHAM.

The pair were found together on a bed in the back room. It appeared that the boy was trying to lift his grandfather from the bed when he was overcome by the smoke and fire, the fire chief said.

Tyler and his grandfather were like best friends, Vrooman said.

"I'm just so grateful that he went with people that he loved," she said. "He didn't go alone."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
No lie: this hit me really hard this morning.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

prentice crawford

Helmet worked
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
A reminder of the risks our warriors face. (Video)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/virals/11166402/US-Marine-survives-headshot-in-Afghanistan.html

P.C.