Author Topic: Knife Talk - Reviews and Rants  (Read 12477 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Knife Talk - Reviews and Rants
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
Thought this would be fun to talk about and get some look into what you guys think

My Lovely girlfriend picked me up a new M-1 Combative Edge knife  (http://www.combativeedge.com/)   This knife is made by the good people over in PA and part of the PTK family, However, I have been studying Sayoc and this knife works just as well for any system. Nice big knife, Good steal but the clip IMHO is a tad shabby,Seems real loose in the jeans in back pocket wear, However, I talked to the Owner "Rob Walker" and he is going to be making custom clips and sending me one out for free to replace this clip. It's nice and sharp out of the box, it's light in the hand, Has a great lock ZERO blade play! I would have given this knife a 10 but the clip dropped it down a tad. You would feel this knife and think " To Light and that = Cheap" No, The materials used in the making of this knife ( locking Titanium frame) Makes it nice and light
Anyone had a chance to look into these knives?

Next up

Zero Tolerance Knives - from the makers of Ken Strider and I think Orion cross bred. I have a 305 and it's nothing but awesome. Everything about this knife is awesome. However, the blade is a tad small and it's a spring assisted folder ( Meaning it pops right open) Gives you a tad of trouble buying one in a shop, You need to be military or Law enforcement in America to purchase one over the counter but I think buying one online is rather easy. It's not a switch blade but spring level assisted. Great Locking system and again ZERO blade play

Both A + Knives.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:23:38 PM by Maxx »

Rarick

Re: Knife Talk - Reviews and Rants
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »
Cold steel voyager, srk, and trailmaster.  I have had 1 for over a year now, it has only needed shapened once and I use it almost daily.  The srk has made a good camp knife the couple of times I have been camping.  The trailmaster is just recieved, the impression is good as far as fit and finish.

There is no blade play in the voyager and I have had no problems with the blade lock (I had better not with the efforts these guys make in that area).  The grips are nice and positive and they cut whatever I need to cut very well.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:51 AM »
I'm a big fan of Cold Steel knives.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
Cold steel was a long time fav of mine. Has anyone seen the new Recon 1 plain tanto style with the new handle? Wow, I am thinking Birthday present this July.

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon-i.html

Last Recon 1 I had the locks were crappy but since then Cold Steel has gone back and fixed all locking problems.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
Spyderco's "Pa'kal" designed by my friend Southnark (whose DVD we carry at
 http://dogbrothers.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=135 ) IMHO is an excellent exectution of the reverse grip reverse edge concept.  The locking mechanism seems unusually sound and solid to me as well, and its wave opening technology is among the very fastest I have seen.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »
The Shivworks knife is a nice knife but I think wave action knives are starting to become a issue in California. If speed is what you are looking for check out this assisted folder I was talking about

http://www.ztknives.us/ZT_Assisted.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krmWU-Nz-tA&feature=related

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
*That design is not for me at all.

*What do you mean by " wave action knives are starting to become a issue in California"?

bluesbassist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
For a solid, affordable utility knife, I like my Benchmade Griptillian with the "ghetto" wave.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Couple close friends of mine who are LA Sheriffs ( Soon I will be joining them crosses fingers lol) Said those knives show intent to use other then a tool. Shiv works knife does not show intent for any other use other then tearing someone up, Also when you arrive to prove you used this type of knife in a Self Den-fence situation, and the Prosecutor Throws these types of things at the jury

1) The Knife's Logo is " Fist full of Fight"
2) The Knife is Also known as SHIV work - Shiv being a term used in prison for using something to carve someone up
3) The knife is marketed as a Self defense knife
4) The Knife has a Snake on it with a Blade Tale
5) The knife is held in a fashion that has no justified tool means
6)  The knife is to be pulled from the pocket with a wave fashion to be opened one hand so the user has better access to this weapon to be used faster
7)  And finally, This person who carries this knife practices a Knife fighting weapon based system known as FMA or Kali  and then they dig into you just to watch ¥ou grovel.

I love Shiv-Works marketing but will they send a Lawyer to help you get out of a "Fist Full of Fight"

There is what he said happened, What you think happened and what the law perceives what had happened and having something marketed as such...is not a great idea, However, I love the knife..It is a fantastic blade and there is little out there that comes close to it.

I have one, Love it and carried it at times, but my recent conversation with Marc Macyoung has scared me into carrying anything that is marketed like this.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:24:31 PM by Maxx »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
In places like the PRK, it's sound advice. Not as important in free states.

Good luck on LASD, Maxx. It's one of the best agencies in the US, IMHO.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »
As a daily (and knowledgeable)  knife carrier (gun laws are very restrictive in LA) I feel
compelled to comment on Shiv Works, Wave, and Zero Tolerance Knifes. Also, I respectfully disagree
with comments posted by Maxx.  However, I do firmly agree, having worked and with
provided legal support to the LASD; they are an outstanding organization.  I wish Maxx
good luck; if accepted, he will be joining a fine group.

California Knife laws are quite "liberal" compared to many states.  Further, the laws
are quite explicit.  Switch Blade, Balasong, and assisted opening knifes are illegal.
I question the legality of Zero Tolerance Knives.  However, Wave action knives
are legal. 

Of note, CA knife laws do not mention intent.  While you may rile and upset an officer of the law
if your answer to the question, "Why do you carry a knife" is "For self defense", there
is nothing illegal or wrong with that answer.  Of course you must follow the State and
Local Laws regarding length, assisted opening, fixed versus folder, schools, etc.  However, there
is nothing wrong with having a "snake on it" or what method you use to hold the knife.
Nor is there any law regarding how you open the knife or how it is marketed.  Pi'kal style
knives are an excellent choice for self defense.

The issue is, "did you obey the law?".  And further, if you do use a knife in self defense,
"was if appropriate?".  Earlier on this forum GM gave some excellent examples of
appropriate use of force.  The "kind of knife" etc. is not relevant; only if the use
of force was appropriate and necessary to save lives; yours and/or others.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
I never said they were illegal, Said I think they are becoming a issue just based off of how my buddies talked about them.

Now the Zero Tolerance? I have heard assisted are illegal but I was not sure.

But back to the subject.

Has anyone besides myself had a chance to check out Combative edges knives?

The Syderco P'kal knife is a good knife but I feel it limits you..

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
DAs are political animals and tend to react along political lines. The DA has a lot of discretion in filing charges or not, or emplaneling a grand jury to review a use of force by a LEO or citizen. An identical shooting that might get you a commendation in Rope and Ride, Texas could get you indicted in Berkely, CA. Your appearance, and the appearance of the weapon you use and the perceptions that engenders in the public and especially a jury can make all the difference in the world.

Note how in some places in the US, so called "assault weapons" are outlawed, despite the fact that flash hiders, pistol grips and bayonet lugs are cosmetic rather than real issues. I have yet to find an incident of a drive by bayoneting, but some laws have been made to forbid such things because of public perceptions of them.

Even if you are an orthodox jew, I wouldn't carry a WWII era Walther with a German proof stamp for defensive purposes. You might be very proud of your custom 1911, but leave "Kill them all, let god sort them out"  off the engraving on the slide, or the mother of pearl grips with the Punisher skull logo.

Ideally, ye,s the use of force should be judged strictly on the merits of the case alone, unfortunately perception and politics can and do factor in to how the case is handled in the criminal and civil courts.